Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Good mid-sized trucks that aren't Toyotas?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
beedoola is on a distinguished road

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
Good mid-sized trucks that aren't Toyotas?

My cousin is looking for mid-sized truck, on the used market and he's kind of fond of the Chevy Colorando, GMC Canyon or other comparable trucks.

What are your thoughts on the aforementioned or any other trucks?

Budget is around $8000-8500. Looking for something 2005ish. What trucks can run for a fair time - besides Tacomas?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Nissan frontier
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
beedoola is on a distinguished road

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
yes that was another one he was considering. Our aunt has one and it seems to run pretty good.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
if i didn't have a taco i'd probably be in a ranger
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
There was a magazine I can't remember which one but the canyon and Colorado was the #1 cheapest and lowest in build quilty for all mid sized pickups. The 5 banger doesn't help also as most car company's are starting to faze them out.

I'd go with a Nissan frontier if the tacoma is out of the cards.

Brett
Old 03-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
I would vote for the Nissan, too. I have owned three Nissan trucks and one Xterra. They were excellent vehicles. I had a Ranger for a few months and sold it when I found my Toyota. The Ford had too many issues for me, tho many folks swear by them.

I have found this site useful in evaluating used cars and trucks:

http://www.carsurvey.org/
Old 03-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Frontier or early 2000s Dakota. I would take an S10 ZR2 over a Colorado too. Or a Ranger.

Basically anything not a Colorado/Canyon.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
Vstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVstrom30 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Vstrom30's Tacoma Gallery
The GM mid size trucks along with the trailblazers are junk. I guess I would go with Nissan.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma
Frontier
Ranger

In that order... and this is coming from a Ford H8R.
I will never own another Ford, but I'd buy one before buying ANY Chrysler, and I'd buy one before buying a Colorado.
The little GM truck has a bad reputation for failures.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Ranger
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I won't own another Nissan. I owned an '07 SE-R, Nissan forever lost me with that car. I sold it with under 600 miles because it was a peice of shit and they didnt want to fix it. Plus, the interior on the Frontier is terrible. The outside doesn't look half bad though.

The Canyon/Colorado are junk. The Dakota is a Dodge.

If I wasn't driving a Tacoma I'd be in a full size.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
GuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shedGuyWithCamera is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alan
GuyWithCamera's Tacoma Gallery
When I did parts delivery driving for vatozone we had brand new little Ford Rangers. The check engine light kept going off on one before 2K miles, I don't know why though but it went off 3 times and each time we had to take it in for warranty work.

The interior is crap, Clearly hasn't been redesigned since the early 90s... Another store of ours had colorado's that were not much better. Ride quality in both was complete crap (Colorado/Canyon use torsion bar front suspensions FYI)... I'd go with Tacoma, Frontier or the Suzuki Equator (Frontier).

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...out/52650846/1