Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Hi lift Use?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
2ski4life7's Tacoma Gallery
Hi lift Use?

Hey wondering how many of you use a hi lift as a regular jack? Im talking about just lifting the truck and then putting it on jack stands. I have a really nice floor jack that I am debating on getting rid of and just using the hi lift.

I know the hi lift is for field use and may not be the safest. Any thoughts?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Never get rid of tools. Just my 2 cents. You'll need it right after you sell it.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ this. nearly every project i've undertaken has required the use of most, if not all of my tools plus having to go buy a new, specialized tool it seems.

over the years, i have acquired a very comprehensive set of tools/equipment and i still find myself using a hefty portion of my arsenal.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have lift points for the hi lift?
Old 03-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Hi lift comes in handy lots, but nothing beats a floor jack on concrete.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Hi Lift is all I use on my truck. Works hard and fast and I don't have to scoot down under my truck any extra.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2ski4life7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanmb31 View Post
Do you have lift points for the hi lift?
I will soon.

Do most of the floor jack still work once you lift the truck? I plan on putting a 3" fox lift on my truck down the road. I used it all the time on my beat up drift car, but since I only have a truck now it seems im under the hood a lot less until I can afford more stuff. I don't need to get rid of it, my garage got a lot smaller now though so I am trying to minimize the crap I have. especially since the hi lift I will just mount in my bed.

But otherwise is it safe to use if you have lift points?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
Or I was planning on getting a bottle jack.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
My big floor jack works plenty fine just jacking from my front skid plate
Old 03-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #10
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ski4life7 View Post
I will soon.

Do most of the floor jack still work once you lift the truck? I plan on putting a 3" fox lift on my truck down the road. I used it all the time on my beat up drift car, but since I only have a truck now it seems im under the hood a lot less until I can afford more stuff. I don't need to get rid of it, my garage got a lot smaller now though so I am trying to minimize the crap I have. especially since the hi lift I will just mount in my bed.

My floor jack is to short since i lifted my truck, i just use a 4x4 block with my floor jack. I think max height on my floor jack is 19" IIRC. I still will still use the floor jack even though i have sliders and a hilift, just seems safer. I havnt even used my hi lift yet, i still need to drill out the bottom of my frame for the bolt on sliders.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
Banned
prerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud of
prerantaco's Tacoma Gallery
i would keep both. hi lift jack should not be used when you can use a floor jack. they arent very safe.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerantaco View Post
i would keep both. hi lift jack should not be used when you can use a floor jack. they arent very safe.
Ya that is my main concern is the safety aspect.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Quite frankly i'm terrified of my hi-lift
Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ski4life7 View Post
I will soon.

I've used mine on the the ARB lift points, off the tires with the attachment and off the hitch. Just be sure to throw it in 4Hi and chuck the parking brake on the lock all the wheels. Only scary time I had was when I didn't put the parking brake on and it rolled back on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
Quite frankly i'm terrified of my hi-lift
Get comfortable with it. Use it. And stay out of the kill zone when you're jacking. They're nicknamed Farmer Killers for a reason.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
mercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to behold

Navy: civil service
Name: gary
mercurymullet's Tacoma Gallery
Hi lifts are awesome, I got rid of mine because it won't get the tires off the ground. But there is always one around when on the trail, they are handy=wouldn't sell. But yes I use a floor jack at home regardless.