Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

What's the Best Canopy?

View Poll Results: What's the Best Canopy?
SnugTop 3 30.00%
ARE 2 20.00%
Leer 7 70.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
YotaRig is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Savin' Lives
Name: J
YotaRig's Tacoma Gallery
What's the Best Canopy?

Coming to the experts for this:

Looking to put a canopy on my Tacoma for use as a "redneck camper." Going to build a raised floor for storage underneath and throw a rack on top for additional storage. But I got to figure out what's the best canopy to start with. Big consideration is being watertight, and not leaking water into the bed with the back door open.

So for those of you w/ canopies out there, what have you liked, disliked, wish you had done different, etc...

In my research so far, it looks like SnugTop, ARE or Leer.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Leer 180RCC or similar hi rise cap with a reinforced roof
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
PepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aerial Porter
Name: Kolt
PepsiManKolt's Tacoma Gallery
I had a leer 100xl on my last truck so idk how they are on a tacoma specifically but i loved that canopy. I am looking for that exact same one for this truck and once I get one I doubt I will ever sell it.

In your case I would suggest to get the high top for the added room inside.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Leer 100XQ that came with my truck when I bought it. It looks like this, but is the long bed version.

I've never noticed a leak or any water in my bed. I really like the way it looks even though I don't really need it. But it has come in very handy a few times. To answer your question about likes and dislikes....

Pros:
  • I can still see out when I check my blind spots because of the big windows on it.
  • The look of it.
  • It locks.
  • The back window is tinted. At night I don't have to flip my rear view mirror up when a car with bright headlights is behind me.

Cons:
  • I've had more situations where an open bed would be better than a bed with a canopy. (and taking it off is just more annoying than just borrowing my dad's truck)
  • Although I like the look of it, I still prefer trucks without canopies.

I just noticed you're in North Bend.... I'm in Portland. I'd be willing to sell it if you're interested. Its color matched to my Barcelona red double cab long bed. From your avatar picture I can't quite tell if that would work for your truck. I'm not sure about water getting into the bed with the back door flipped up. But I think its supposed to rain soon so I can check it. Wait, it's Portland. it will definitely rain soon.

Anyway, If it would work with your truck and you are interested, I would be willing to meet you in Eugene or somewhere around there. PM me if you are interested or want me to snap a few pictures of it. If you're not interested, then good luck with your project and be sure to post pictures of it!
Old 03-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
YotaRig is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Savin' Lives
Name: J
YotaRig's Tacoma Gallery
Riverdog, Thanks for the detailed feedback. I would most likely have taken you up on your offer, but my truck is the radiant red. So close; that would have been perfect. It's amazing how difficult it is to find someone looking to sell a canopy for these 2nd gen Tacomas.

I'll continue the search. Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
No worries Yota. I hear patience is the key to finding one. Good luck with your search!
Old 11-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
LaserMan is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
LaserMan's Tacoma Gallery
I realize this is an old post, but do you still have the canopy and want to sell it? I just bought an '07 double cab, not sure which red it is and I'm embarrassed to say I don't know if it's a short or long bed... I'll measure it tomorrow, I swear! Anyway, if it's still available and is the right color/length, I may be interested.

Thanks,
Gary
Old 11-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i have an ARE. nice top. but i am fighting a stupid water leak from the front seal. it leaks when i wash the truck.

i vote LEER.