Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Convince me to not trade for a cherokee

Old 03-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #41
Adventurer
ffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
ffdawson's Tacoma Gallery
Easy. Keep your taco for DD and mellow off road... buy stock jeep cheap and slowly build into a gnar trail rig. That way you can have the best of both worlds.

but def. keep the tacoma...
Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #42
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Keep the truck, trust me; you won't regret it. You still got an easy 200 or 300k left on that motor you take care of it. I've drove Jeeps in the past, they are fun and all, but Jeep didn't get the slang "Just Empty Every Pocket" for no reason. Drive your Toyota and continue enjoying low maintenance.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #43
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The newer Cherokees (not Grand Cherokees) come with a solid drivetrain, and an easily upgraded suspension. The weak link is the rear axle. From what I've heard and seen, the Tacomas seem to have stronger rear axles. Other than that, mechanically, the Jeep should be fine. Do take into account that it's going to be at least 12 years old, the last year was 2001.

A buddy of mine has a 95 Grand Cherokee. He has about 120K on it, 318 V8, automatic, full time 4wheel drive. About half than mileage has been lifted, first with 31s, then 33s. He beats the snot out of it in the sand dunes. Not much rockcrawling, but it has been out a couple of times. The transmission is on the way out, that is the common problem on the Grands. The regular Cherokee has a better trans in it, and most feel the transfercase is better as well. Edit: The Chrysler 8.25 rear end in the Cherokee is also considered better than the Dana 35 in the Grand.

As far as the little, non drivetrain problems, I haven't seen it happen with my buddie's Heep.

Try to get a 97-01, they are a bit more modern, and think they were the best wagon Jeep made. A street driven one isn't going to have much trouble, even lifted. Expect to need a regear with big tires though.

If you wanted something to wheel hard, a Cherokee is a good starting point to build up, and when you wreck it, you just go get another $4k Cherokee and swap your parts over. Can't do that with a Taco.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #44
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
cause its a heep. nuff said
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #45
maximilian55 is on a distinguished road
Name: max
maximilian55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Keep the truck, trust me; you won't regret it. You still got an easy 200 or 300k left on that motor you take care of it. I've drove Jeeps in the past, they are fun and all, but Jeep didn't get the slang "Just Empty Every Pocket" for no reason. Drive your Toyota and continue enjoying low maintenance.
Ya and as a highschooler i do not have the money to drop on a rig. My friend has been telling me about all the random things he is going to have to upgrade to lift his jeep.

I plan to keep my tacoma for now, its the best option money wise. maybe in the future when i have more cash, ill buy a cherokee and make it a gnarly trail rig.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #46
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Buddy had one where the roof rusted out... in Los fucking Angeles!

Dealer's body shop replaced it 4 times, Heep ended up buying it back just over 3 years old and he used the cash to buy a 4-Runner.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #47
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian55 View Post
Ya and as a highschooler i do not have the money to drop on a rig. My friend has been telling me about all the random things he is going to have to upgrade to lift his jeep.

I plan to keep my tacoma for now, its the best option money wise. maybe in the future when i have more cash, ill buy a cherokee and make it a gnarly trail rig.
Good choice, I had (still have it) a CJ5 in high school, one of the funnest rigs ever, but man it was a moneypit to me in high school. I learned how to work on things because of that Jeep, never had the money to pay a mechanic. I drive it now and then, but my Taco is my bonefied daily driver, it has never hiccuped or given me any headaches in 40 thousand miles.