Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Convince me to not trade for a cherokee

Old 03-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #1
maximilian55 is on a distinguished road
Name: max
maximilian55's Tacoma Gallery
Convince me to not trade for a cherokee

So i own a 04 tacoma, 2.7L with 266,000 miles on her. shes got billstein 5100's set at 2.5, with a 1.5 in aal in the back. and 265/70/16s.

My friend has been trying to get me to buy a jeep cherokee, one of the 4.0 engines. i would find one thats got about 4in of lift on 31s or 33s.

However im still skeptical, and i wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I am not very educated on trucks/cars, and i know there are some incredibly bright people here. anyone wanna save me from making bad decision? or is it not a big deal.

Also i dont use the bed of my truck very much. and i dont do much wheeling, only light trails and a few mud puddles here and there.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
Someone post up a picture of Cmack's Heep broken down on the side of the road .
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
That motor is just about as reliable as your 4cyl. The jeep around it definitely isn't as well built but those xj's are pretty good little rigs.

The biggest drawback to them is the unibody. Just makes custom fab of stuff like sliders and bumpers a little tricky. Also the stock axles on them are not good for tires much larger than 33's if you're into that.

If you're willing to give up the MPG's and like wrenching, I think you might like the jeep.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707tothe907 View Post
Someone post up a picture of Cmack's Heep broken down on the side of the road .
Old 03-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Why is your friend so concerned with what you drive?
what do they drive?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
That motor is just about as reliable as your 4cyl. The jeep around it definitely isn't as well built but those xj's are pretty good little rigs.

The biggest drawback to them is the unibody. Just makes custom fab of stuff like sliders and bumpers a little tricky. Also the stock axles on them are not good for tires much larger than 33's if you're into that.

If you're willing to give up the MPG's and like wrenching, I think you might like the jeep.
Ya i've seen alot of stuff about non-engine related problems with those jeeps. and i dont have the money to fix those.

But regarding the axles i wouldnt go above 33's. Where i live there are not many gnarly wheeling spots where you need a big rig. My tacoma does amazing on the local spots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinker_troy View Post
Why is your friend so concerned with what you drive?
what do they drive?
My friend switches between his passat and blazer. But he has been looking for jeeps for about 3 months now.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian55 View Post
Ya i've seen alot of stuff about non-engine related problems with those jeeps. and i dont have the money to fix those.

But regarding the axles i wouldnt go above 33's. Where i live there are not many gnarly wheeling spots where you need a big rig. My tacoma does amazing on the local spots.

My friend switches between his passat and blazer. But he has been looking for jeeps for about 3 months now.
In that case absolutely stick with the tacoma. It makes a WAY better daily.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #8
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

I would say let him get one and see how that goes for him before you jump on board. In 6 months he may see the light and want a tacoma
Where you at in Washington?
<--- Mukilteo here
Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
In that case absolutely stick with the tacoma. It makes a WAY better daily.
thanks for your help man, im definitely gonna wait for month or so and maybe throw my rig on craigslist and see if anyone gives me a offer i cant refuse

Quote:
I would say let him get one and see how that goes for him before you jump on board. In 6 months he may see the light and want a tacoma
Where you at in Washington?
<--- Mukilteo here
Im in north bend, are there any good wheeling spots over there?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Keep the Tacoma tand skip out on the jeep since you would miss your truck if you got rid of it
Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
hmmmm... if i got a jeep, then i couldnt fit a mattress in the back of the bed for the girlfriend... this just got serious.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #12
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
thanks for your help man, im definitely gonna wait for month or so and maybe throw my rig on craigslist and see if anyone gives me a offer i cant refuse

Im in north bend, are there any good wheeling spots over there?
Wheeling? The closest would probably be reiter, which just reopened. Otherwise you can head down to tahuya. Those are ORV parks. There are actually a ton of places semi close to you. Tons of exploring to do up in the forrest along 90. Skim through this thread and you can figure out a lot of good spots near you.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...et-thread.html

Also, stick with the truck. The only thing a lifted cherokee is good for would be wheeling semi-hard. Your truck does fine with the wheeling you actually do, and you get good mileage.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 PM   #13
I feel so Devo

Probably more by you as we (me and some other TW guys) have headed out your way a few times. Fortune Creek and the Cle Elum area.
There's Tahuya which is fun and not that stressful, been there a few times.

Here's our local thread get together/BS thread if you're interested....

Old 03-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
hmmmm... if i got a jeep, then i couldnt fit a mattress in the back of the bed for the girlfriend... this just got serious.
Although you can yank out the rear seats of the jeep and throw in a mattress pad or some sort.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
Very nice how much?

Quote:
Probably more by you as we (me and some other TW guys) have headed out your way a few times. Fortune Creek and the Cle Elum area.
There's Tahuya which is fun and not that stressful, been there a few times.

Here's our local thread get together/BS thread if you're interested....

We posted this at the same time hahaha
Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
I feel so Devo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
We posted this at the same time hahaha
haha
what a helpful bunch we is
Old 03-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
Wheeling? The closest would probably be reiter, which just reopened. Otherwise you can head down to tahuya. Those are ORV parks. There are actually a ton of places semi close to you. Tons of exploring to do up in the forrest along 90.
Ya me and my friends have been to some of the forrest service roads between north bend and the pass. There are some sick views.

Quote:
Me and my friends have been planning to hit up fortune creek this summer, how is it?
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #18
I feel so Devo

Quote:
Ya me and my friends have been to some of the forrest service roads between north bend and the pass. There are some sick views.

Me and my friends have been planning to hit up fortune creek this summer, how is it?
It's fun.
I wish I could remember the names of all the places we've gone up that way.

and yeah, the views are awesome
Old 03-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
i actually will be honest. that 4.0l is bulletproof, and the cherokees are SFA. as long as you take care of it, you should be fine, but even with 2xxk miles, it will be hard to find a cherokee worth as much as your truck, unless said truck is hammered to piss.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #20
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
lol u fuckers

OP what's your intended use? I wheel mine quite heavily, but also DD it ~2,000 miles a month....I would highly NOT recommend buying one if you plan to do little to no wheeling as they are not the ideal dd. IN addition, i would not recommend it if you like to drive at fast speeds offroad, as it is not made for it at all.

I went from a 3.4l v6 1st gen to an 01 cherokee with the 4.0l i6. I'm lifted, locked, and loaded.

the 4.0l i6 and the aw4 (auto) tranny are absolutely bullet proof. the 00-01's like to have some head problems with over-heating but aside from that it's all good.