Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

87 suburban issues

Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
87 suburban issues

We have a 87 suburban with the 5.7 back here in MISS, and she's running rough, she doesn't want to idle and when it does idle the RPM's constantly rise and fall, after fluctuating a few times it dies.
It also seems to be running rich, if I punch the gas in gear it might rev a little but if I let off the gas a little it will raise the RPM's to where they should be.

It seems to rev fine in neutral and park, the water pump was replaced 3 (?) years ago, and it has a coolant leak where the bottom hose on the radiator meets the block.

I'll add more info when I get to my computer (tonight)
Any input is appreciated

Edit: forgot to mention its fuel injected, and we replaced the injectors a few years ago
Old 04-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 taco View Post
We have a 87 suburban with the 7.4 (?) back here in MISS, and she's running rough, she doesn't want to idle and when it does idle the RPM's constantly rise and fall, after fluctuating a few times it dies.
It also seems to be running rich, if I punch the gas in gear it might rev a little but if I let off the gas a little it will raise the RPM's to where they should be.

It seems to rev fine in neutral and park, the water pump was replaced 3 (?) years ago, and it has a coolant leak where the bottom hose on the radiator meets the block.

I'll add more info when I get to my computer (tonight)
Any input is appreciated

Edit: forgot to mention its fuel injected, and we replaced the injectors a few years ago
Sounds like a vaccum leak
Old 04-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
I'll have to check that tomorrow, thanks Doug.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
Check your Idle Air control valve, its probably sticking..
this.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
x3
Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
Check your Idle Air control valve, its probably sticking..
allright, thanks jason.
if it's sticking do i just shoot it with carb cleaner?
i pulled the air pump for the smog system since it wasn't hooked up, to plug it i'm gonna use a big bolt ( if we have one, if not then i'll make a wood plug), would it hurt anything to put some silicone on the threads to help seal it?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i pulled the IAC valve and it looked like this

i cleaned it with carb cleaner, and it looked cleaner, but i think it's stuck in the position, i reinstalled it, did the IAC reset, and it still runs funny.

after lunch i'm gonna unhook the TPS and check for vacuum leaks.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
i haven't checked for vacuum leaks, but i did some reading and found out that i can test the IAC valve when it isn't in the TB, so i did and it didn't move at all so i'm assuming that that's the problem.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Just took it for a drive with the valve removed, it will bog with anything over a very light touch of the pedal, until its revving pretty good (no tach, but it sounds about halfway to redline) , once you get it passed that point you can floor it and it will slowly and smoothly accelerate.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
Cornfed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Forgot to say that the idle smoothed out after it warmed up, but it was idling fast.