Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Anyone ever also wheel the 80s 4WD trecels?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
WPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really nice

WPDAWG11's Tacoma Gallery
Question Anyone ever also wheel the 80s 4WD trecels?

A dumbass buddy of mine in nashville had a 88 4WD 5spd trecel all perfectly functional b/c he was a mechanic. I wish I had the video still but we were pulling it through 2.5-3 foot puddles and riding up 4 foot berms no problem all stock. Toyota was just on there shit in the late 80s.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
I've ALWAYS wondered this. they're solid axle, no?

I saw Jesse's on Breaking Bad and was weirded out by how old it was to be 4WD and how low to the ground it is. I wonder if you can lift it
Old 04-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
WPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really niceWPDAWG11 is just really nice

WPDAWG11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
I've ALWAYS wondered this. they're solid axle, no?

I saw Jesse's on Breaking Bad and was weirded out by how old it was to be 4WD and how low to the ground it is. I wonder if you can lift it
I am not thinking it was. It was just a crappy little wagon that happened to be 4wd. It was exactly like jesses
Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Bosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Kevin
Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking for a clean one of those for a LONG time. They are getting harder and harder to find. Especially non-rusty ones that people aren't asking crazy money for. Anybody in SoCal looking to get rid of one?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
4wd Tercel, AND an Aztek in the same series....someone had a sense of humor
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
79-84 Subaru gl 4x4 wagons are also a good choice. They have 4hi and 4low and wheel amazingly well.....given the ground clearance. I have owned 3 of them and they all went over 250K on original engine/tranny.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyotaco06 View Post
79-84 Subaru gl 4x4 wagons are also a good choice. They have 4hi and 4low and wheel amazingly well.....given the ground clearance. I have owned 3 of them and they all went over 250K on original engine/tranny.
I had an '84 Subaru GL for a couple of years, that thing would go through sand like nothing else. One time we got a couple of 4wd trucks stuck in sand and the Subbie pulled both of them out...
Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on the Subie! I had an 87 GL wagon. Awesome car! I put that thing through hell. It was great for Vermont mud season, never a fear of getting stuck. My most memorable moment was bring out in a big snow storm with a buddy and going through FEET of snow. So much snow that it was coming up over the hood and onto the windshield. That thing just plowed right through! I always hated the silly e brake in it though.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
I owned one of those, never wheeled it though
Old 04-12-2013, 05:35 AM   #11
Got2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryder
Got2ryde's Tacoma Gallery
My mom had one of these things. My brother flogged it hard. I flogged it even harder and it just wouldn't die. I remember taking it out with a buddy before I turned 16 and finding the soggiest field we could and just worked that thing over! My late appologies to the farmer.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Say hello to my little truck!
6gearsofv6fury will become famous soon enough6gearsofv6fury will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
6gearsofv6fury's Tacoma Gallery
My parents had an 84 Tercel 4WD wagon when I was little. The only time 4WD was ever used is when my Dad wanted to use the "Extra Low" gear to crawl in SoCal traffic lol.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPDAWG11 View Post
Anyone ever also wheel the 80s 4WD trecels? A dumbass buddy of mine in nashville had a 88 4WD 5spd trecel all perfectly functional b/c he was a mechanic. I wish I had the video still but we were pulling it through 2.5-3 foot puddles and riding up 4 foot berms no problem all stock. Toyota was just on there shit in the late 80s.
A good friend of mine bought a Toyota Tercel sometime in the mid-80's. The first impression was how flimsy it was made (thin body panels, plastics, etc). My BMW was built like a tank by comparison.

The second impression, while riding in it, was how much of a cow it was (slow top end, sluggish acceleration, etc). We were living in Germany at the time, and I honestly felt we would likely need an appointment to merge onto the autobahn.

Needless to say, I wouldn't rush out to buy one - then or now.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #14
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
My 83 Dirty Terc.

1.5l L4 only gives about 60 ponies, so yeah it's not much for power, but it'll go and go and go.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #16
oldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldblue1968chevy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Maintainer
Name: John
oldblue1968chevy's Tacoma Gallery
Saw a tercel outwheeling me and modded jeeps one day at the orv park beater full of teenagers it was aweseome (i dont wheel hard at all) but they were climing some hills lol
Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #17
TuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shedTuffRuffDangerous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TuffRuffDangerous's Tacoma Gallery
I fell in love with these in 5th grade when I got a toy 4x4 Tercel with my Happy Meal. Anyone here old enough to remember Stomper toys?

Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #18
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRuffDangerous View Post
I fell in love with these in 5th grade when I got a toy 4x4 Tercel with my Happy Meal. Anyone here old enough to remember Stomper toys?

Oh hell yeah! One of my favorite toys growing up. 9v battery FTW!
Old 12-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #19
Peanut butter mini time
Phil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shedPhil Dammit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
Phil Dammit's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRuffDangerous View Post

Fuck yeah!!!!!!