LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Premium Charge ???

Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: MSgt
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
Premium Charge ???

The Wifey and I stopped by the Ford dealer last weekend to check out a Shelby GT-500. The dealer only had one there, a convertible. I prefer the coupe. Anyway, I know they cost in the 60's and the convertible's sticker showed $67k. No big surprise.

The shock came when the saleswoman said, "Oh, don't forget this other sticker on the window - premium charge of $15k." That brought the price of the car to $82k!!! She told me the Raptors also carry the same charge.

I have heard of dealers charging more for new and rare vehicles, especially if they're the first to get something exciting. But, these Shelbys have been available for many years now. The Raptors have also been out for at least a couple years.

I'm new to the level, and rarity, of vehicles in this category. I never seriously looked at them before last weekend. My brother, who works at Dodge/Chrysler, tells me the Challenger SRT doesn't come with any kind of premium. I'm not sure about the high-end Camaros.

Is this premium common practice, especially for Shelbys???
Old 04-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
rev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant futurerev25sharp has a brilliant future
Name: Al
rev25sharp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenobe View Post
The Wifey and I stopped by the Ford dealer last weekend to check out a Shelby GT-500. The dealer only had one there, a convertible. I prefer the coupe. Anyway, I know they cost in the 60's and the convertible's sticker showed $67k. No big surprise.

The shock came when the saleswoman said, "Oh, don't forget this other sticker on the window - premium charge of $15k." That brought the price of the car to $82k!!! She told me the Raptors also carry the same charge.

I have heard of dealers charging more for new and rare vehicles, especially if they're the first to get something exciting. But, these Shelbys have been available for many years now. The Raptors have also been out for at least a couple years.

I'm new to the level, and rarity, of vehicles in this category. I never seriously looked at them before last weekend. My brother, who works at Dodge/Chrysler, tells me the Challenger SRT doesn't come with any kind of premium. I'm not sure about the high-end Camaros.

Is this premium common practice, especially for Shelbys???
thats what i hear in jacksonville too. my dad just bought one in mobile al for sticker tho. it was like 60k. each dealer only gets 2 or some crap
Old 04-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
In some places yes. If the vehicle sells well enough and is rare/new year engine whatever then they can get away with it. Its the same as listing a used tacoma for 30,000 when a new one is 30,500
Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev25sharp View Post
thats what i hear in jacksonville too. my dad just bought one in mobile al for sticker tho. it was like 60k. each dealer only gets 2 or some crap
On average dealers get 2 SVT vehicles a year. Meaning if they get 2 gt500s then they don't get a raptor or focus ST
Old 04-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Kenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenobe is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
I've heard of it before but I wouldn't pay it .
Yeah not paying that. I might look for a 'gently used' one instead or like Rev's Dad, try to find a dealer who won't charge the premium.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
Rich1790 is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Rich
Rich1790's Tacoma Gallery
There's plenty of dealers that you can buy from paying MSRP. Im surprised some are still charging a premium, the cars been out for a while. I would call/email a bunch of dealers in the area. I'm sure you'll find one that wants to make a deal. You might get some more info from svtperformance. Lots of new shelby owners there.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
Kenobe's Tacoma Gallery
Found out they're the only dealer in a certain range to get those vehicles, hence the markup.

I used my bank's online car-buying service and priced out a Shelby. When I put in a zip code for CO Springs, the price jumped from $59k to $70k because of 'market conditions'.

When I put in a zip code for Denver, the price STAYED at $59k. IF I end up buying one later, I guess I'll drive to Denver to make the purchase. Not a bad deal - drive 60 miles to save $11k.

Dealer was Phil Long. They won't be getting my business!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
they call it Market mark up or something like that here, i looked at a GT500 on day and they had 20,000 mark up on it
Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
On average dealers get 2 SVT vehicles a year. Meaning if they get 2 gt500s then they don't get a raptor or focus ST
My Ford dealer currently has 5 Focus ST's right now and had a Raptor a couple weeks ago. I stopped and checked it out thankfully no dealers around here really mark stuff up like others do.

Personally I don't care how much you want a car I think you'd have to be stupid to pay that kind of money especially when it's not even am exotic car of some sort. For 82k there's plenty of cars is take before a GT500.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
No surprise here. Remember, MSRP is manufacturer's suggested retail price. The same rules that allow dealers to sell below sticker also allow them to sell above sticker.

Dealers who sell in-demand SVT vehicles at MSRP just accumulate a long waiting list... It was the same story with the Honda S2000.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #12
Middle Age Member
oldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to beholdoldstick is a splendid one to behold
oldstick's Tacoma Gallery
I guess they figure with the car collector market, someone buying that plans to shelter and baby it for 30 years or more then resell at auction for a big profit.