1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NTB batteries

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by TacoDawgfan, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Apr 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Anyone have experience with them?

Almost 4 years ago my wife's car oem battery died. It was on a Sunday. I've always liked Interstate batteries so I checked around and the only place I could find that had one was NTB. So I pull the battery from the car (it wouldn't jump start) and head to NTB. They bring out this black battery which nowhere says anything Interstate on it that I could find. They assure me it's an Interstate battery just labeled for their store. So we take it with no issues. 36 month replacement/ 85 month pro rated.

Almost 2 years to the day it dies fortunately at home and on me as I was prepping the car for my step daughter about to head off to college out of state about 3 1/2 hr drive. I have a charger at home so I jump it off and take it to NTB. They replace it with no problem. I ask about the warranty to be sure and to my surprise the SA informs me that the warranty starts over at this point. Great! I have 3 years and 85 months again.

FF to yesterday. Step daughter is home for the weekend. I take her car to change the oil and do some minor maintenance and a general check before she heads back. When I crank the car I notice the batter sounds awfully weak. So I drive it down to the local parts store to buy the oil, filter, etc and have them check the battery. It's going bad. This is 20 months after the last replacement. WTF? Again?

So I took it back to NTB and convinced them to replace. They of course said it was good but replaced it again. I'm not bashing NTB, they've been great, but their batteries suck!

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any issues with them or if they can confirm or prove wrong that their batteries are made by Interstate?

2. Apr 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Forgot to mention that being that it was Sunday I couldn't find many places that were open and they were the only place I could find for an Interstate battery.

3. Apr 15, 2013 at 6:28 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I steer far away from NTB.

4. Apr 15, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I actually cant say anything bad about the service, they installed my front 5100's for $100 plus my choice of alignment package. They have been great at this location. Have had bad experiences in the past with other locations. But weather their batteries are actually Interstate or not, I'll never buy another from them again.

5. Apr 20, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    There are several things to consider when buying replacement batteries. Please keep in mind that the battery manufactures build what their their customers order. In this case, appears that NTB is a larger retail chain, and Interstate is a distributor. You normally will see a lower priced "value" battery and a higher priced "premium" battery in the same BCI Group size. Generally the "premium" battery has more performance (CCAs), capacity (RC) or a better warranty that the "value" battery and is more expensive.

A second consideration is freshness, especially with the most common wet low-maintenance batteries. The longer a battery sits on a dealer's shelf without a recharge, more lead sulfate builds up on the plates of the battery.

More buying tips can be found in Section 7.8 of the Car and Deep cycle Battery FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org.

6. Apr 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Get an auto zone duralast gold battery. Last one in my car lasted 9 years. Just replaced it last week. They're made by JCI and are supposed to be the best/one of the best battery makers

7. Apr 20, 2013 at 3:37 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Never got a battery from them but my local NTB got me a great deal on my Nitto's and also installed my extended brake lines for a very reasonable price.
    12 months no interest was not bad either.:rolleyes:

8. Apr 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    No experience with the batteries, but I go there to get my alignments. Great guys at my local NTB. I'll likely stay away from their batteries now that I know they are iffy.

Products Discussed in

To Top