1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AMBER ALERT for vehicles

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by zbaldo, Apr 16, 2013.

?

Should there be an AMBER ALERT for cars?

Poll closed Jul 25, 2013.
  1. No, sounds stupid

32.7%
  2. Sounds like a decent idea

32.7%
  3. Will never work

34.6%
  1. Apr 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    Lost_Humanity

Lost_Humanity Bad decisions make great stories.

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    It's a Toyota.
    Bumper Dent Mod
    Seattle has a GPS-based bus tracking system which updates in real-time, as do many other major cities (and some smaller ones). The One Bus Away app for Seattle Metro uses this system so you can track the arrival/departure of your next transit.

Generally speaking, it's not the public transportation drivers' fault -- have you ever seen how many times buses get cut off by drivers, bikers, and pedestrians? Buses take a lot of energy to move, stop and turn. Data from GPS will only tell you time, position and speed anyway. It won't tell you that Bummy McBummerson stumbled in front of the 502 and the driver moved to avoid him and in doing so Sally Van CellPhone plowed into it.

All of this information is also required to be made available in the event of a legal dispute as well.

2. Apr 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    zbaldo

zbaldo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    Stock as Stock can be with duratracs and a roof rack

Yea I know most of them are not the bus driver's fault but this way they avoid all the lawsuits that would otherwise be argued for a while

3. Apr 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    I'd be fuious if someone stole my truck. We have spent waay to much time together to let some lowlife take it and get away with it.

A fear years back I read a post about using pre-paid phones as a cheap GPS, I plan to do this whenever I can afford it.

4. Apr 28, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Problem: Tacomaworld covers 50 states and a number of other 1st and 2nd world countries.

A general alert on the home page is wasted "marketing".
    When a vehicle is stolen, the victim or one of their friends typically posts about it in one of the regional threads so the people close to the theft are made aware of it if they participate in the local threads.

If they don't participate in the local threads, then chances are even greater that they don't give a shit about helping you to recover your truck.

5. May 14, 2013 at 11:54 PM
    zbaldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    Good point about the people that post threads stating a theft, this is about the same thing. I was just thinking out loud.

One good thing about tacomaworld is that it doesn't market much but its own vendors and topics no actual ads by annoying vendors.

I was rereading the posts and it seems that some people didn't get what I was trying to say. Some have read it as I was giving priority to vehicles rather than people and others took it as a futile act.

6. May 14, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    zbaldo

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    I'm sure there are other ways to have a gps on your truck haven't looked around. A batman trigger thing that he throws on cars and beeps you to it when you get closer haha

Products Discussed in

To Top