Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

AMBER ALERT for vehicles

View Poll Results: Should there be an AMBER ALERT for cars?
No, sounds stupid 17 32.69%
Sounds like a decent idea 17 32.69%
Will never work 18 34.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
Bad decisions make great stories.
Lost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shedLost_Humanity is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lost_Humanity's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaldo View Post
I have thought about a system which uses gps and a whole bunch other data tracking software that could be implemented into public transportation that could track loads of data that could help in a lawsuit against a city or something or help in driver evaluation.
Seattle has a GPS-based bus tracking system which updates in real-time, as do many other major cities (and some smaller ones). The One Bus Away app for Seattle Metro uses this system so you can track the arrival/departure of your next transit.

Generally speaking, it's not the public transportation drivers' fault -- have you ever seen how many times buses get cut off by drivers, bikers, and pedestrians? Buses take a lot of energy to move, stop and turn. Data from GPS will only tell you time, position and speed anyway. It won't tell you that Bummy McBummerson stumbled in front of the 502 and the driver moved to avoid him and in doing so Sally Van CellPhone plowed into it.

All of this information is also required to be made available in the event of a legal dispute as well.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
zbaldo has a spectacular aura aboutzbaldo has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ozzy
zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Humanity View Post
Seattle has a GPS-based bus tracking system which updates in real-time, as do many other major cities (and some smaller ones). The One Bus Away app for Seattle Metro uses this system so you can track the arrival/departure of your next transit.

Generally speaking, it's not the public transportation drivers' fault -- have you ever seen how many times buses get cut off by drivers, bikers, and pedestrians? Buses take a lot of energy to move, stop and turn. Data from GPS will only tell you time, position and speed anyway. It won't tell you that Bummy McBummerson stumbled in front of the 502 and the driver moved to avoid him and in doing so Sally Van CellPhone plowed into it.

All of this information is also required to be made available in the event of a legal dispute as well.

Yea I know most of them are not the bus driver's fault but this way they avoid all the lawsuits that would otherwise be argued for a while
Old 04-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be fuious if someone stole my truck. We have spent waay to much time together to let some lowlife take it and get away with it.

A fear years back I read a post about using pre-paid phones as a cheap GPS, I plan to do this whenever I can afford it.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Problem: Tacomaworld covers 50 states and a number of other 1st and 2nd world countries.

A general alert on the home page is wasted "marketing".
When a vehicle is stolen, the victim or one of their friends typically posts about it in one of the regional threads so the people close to the theft are made aware of it if they participate in the local threads.

If they don't participate in the local threads, then chances are even greater that they don't give a shit about helping you to recover your truck.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #25

zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Problem: Tacomaworld covers 50 states and a number of other 1st and 2nd world countries.

A general alert on the home page is wasted "marketing".
When a vehicle is stolen, the victim or one of their friends typically posts about it in one of the regional threads so the people close to the theft are made aware of it if they participate in the local threads.

If they don't participate in the local threads, then chances are even greater that they don't give a shit about helping you to recover your truck.
Good point about the people that post threads stating a theft, this is about the same thing. I was just thinking out loud.

One good thing about tacomaworld is that it doesn't market much but its own vendors and topics no actual ads by annoying vendors.

I was rereading the posts and it seems that some people didn't get what I was trying to say. Some have read it as I was giving priority to vehicles rather than people and others took it as a futile act.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 PM   #26

zbaldo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
I'd be fuious if someone stole my truck. We have spent waay to much time together to let some lowlife take it and get away with it.

A fear years back I read a post about using pre-paid phones as a cheap GPS, I plan to do this whenever I can afford it.
I'm sure there are other ways to have a gps on your truck haven't looked around. A batman trigger thing that he throws on cars and beeps you to it when you get closer haha