Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

I know it's no Tacoma, but it's still a Toyota!! help please!?!

Old 04-19-2013, 03:45 AM   #1
iRep8OH8 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chaz
iRep8OH8's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation I know it's no Tacoma, but it's still a Toyota!! help please!?!

For my Current DD -2005 Toyota Corolla S
Help!!!! Please!!!!

I searched around for some possible solutions, and didn't see any that would really apply to me, or one that was on a 9th gen rolla. (quick list of problems at bottom)

So here's what happened.

A few months back I installed a new deck that had a clock in it, because of the common issue of 9th Gen clocks intermittently working. (It was bought with sony points about to expire so it was like a no brainer lol)

Fast forward a few months, and I wanted some low end bass. Nothing too killer, just to listen to music and have some boom. Four days ago I bought the Infinity Basslink 200w 10in powered subwoofer.

Lastnight (4/18) I installed it. Didn't have any real issues, till I got to the sub. It wasn't getting power. Took out the multimeter, found out the fuse in the sub wasn't getting power. After some testing and what not, it somehow eventually got power, and blew the fuse (something shorted cause there was a spark when I added the ground). In it was a 20amp, I didn't have any replacement 20amps on me, so I threw in a 15amp. Worked like a champ.

I started up the car, and it stalled out. The idle is extremely low and the VSC, TCS and CEL come on after the car runs for about 20 seconds. Usually after disconnecting the battery, my car will have a low idle for a few cycles because I have a CAI installed, and it usually adjusts itself. But it hasn't. Driving down the highway at around 55-60 mph, when I let off the accelerator, the car does this little shimmy, which scared the crap outta me! Also when I park, or stop the car has an incredibly bad smell. I checked my wire that I added, and it isn't burning, and it isn't the sub. It's from outside, in the bay or exhaust.

Issues List:
-VSC light
-TCS light
-CEL (probably becuase of ^^ those)
-Terrible smell coming from car
-Rough Idle
-Stalling when being started

Someone please help! I'm gonna have a friend look at it tomorrow, and gonna try some stuff, but any added knowledge is appreciated! I might end up having to take it in the dealer or someone to pull up what codes are coming up from the CEL. Mahalos in advance!

-iRep
Old 04-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dtmccray's Tacoma Gallery
What is this terrible smell of which you speak? Like burned electrical or dead fish bad? All these problems started when you installed the sub amp?
Old 04-19-2013, 05:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmccray View Post
What is this terrible smell of which you speak? Like burned electrical or dead fish bad? All these problems started when you installed the sub amp?
hmm it smells like burning. such as a mosquito punk? but kinda worse? haha I checked the power wire, which is the only wire that I touched/added and its completely fine, shielded and not burnt at all. And unfortunately... yes. I bought a Powered Subwoofer, so I didn't have to deal with matching a Subwoofer and Amp. Thinking that if the manufacturer has the amp built in, it should be the best match and one less thing to worry about lol. I've heard that I could've fried my ECU, but I'm hoping that's not the case.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Where did you get power for the sub? Where did you ground it? Where did you connect your remote wire?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Where did you get power for the sub? Where did you ground it? Where did you connect your remote wire?
For the main power, I have an 8 gauge fused power wire running from the positive battery terminal, though the firewall, then running down the driver side to the trunk. On the passenger side, I have my RCA and Remote wire running down. RCA connected to the sub, and to my deck. Remote wire is running from sub tapped into the red 12v switch wire from my wiring harness which is also connected to my deck. I have my sub grounded on bare metal, on a screw for my right driver taillight. I checked, and have a stable ground.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Sounds ok. Have you tried disconnecting the sub to see if your problem goes away? Did you check all your fuses?
Old 04-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Sounds ok. Have you tried disconnecting the sub to see if your problem goes away? Did you check all your fuses?
yesssir, I disconnected the sub, checked most of my fuses in my fuse box (fuses connected to tcs and vsc, as well as some others, but not all). Unhooked the battery, let it sit, rehooked it up, still same issue.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 PM   #8

Hmm, I don't have any idea unless you tripped something when you first connected everything. Does that car have two fuse blocks? one under the hood and one under the dash? If so I would check all the fuses and relays one more time. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Time for me to go to work.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
Socal Tacoma
boopie is on a distinguished road

Navy:
Name: Ramon
boopie's Tacoma Gallery
Usually the remote wire is attached to a blue wire on the harness. Check you power wire from the positive of the battery to the amp. Might've gotten cut on the firewall??
Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Hmm, I don't have any idea unless you tripped something when you first connected everything. Does that car have two fuse blocks? one under the hood and one under the dash? If so I would check all the fuses and relays one more time. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Time for me to go to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boopie View Post
Usually the remote wire is attached to a blue wire on the harness. Check you power wire from the positive of the battery to the amp. Might've gotten cut on the firewall??
Thanks guys!! but my friends figured it out! it was my MAF sensor. It decided to retire haha. Pulled the engine code and it was a open MAF. Switched it out with an X MAF sensor (Lucky thing my friend came by with the X!) and it was all good. Happy it was the MAF and not the ECU