1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I know it's no Tacoma, but it's still a Toyota!! help please!?!

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by iRep8OH8, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Apr 19, 2013 at 3:45 AM
    iRep8OH8

iRep8OH8 [OP] "Lets Go Places!" Enthusiast

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White TRD Sport ACRB
    3" lift, 30" Light bar, Rear Pod Lights, & essentials.
    For my Current DD -2005 Toyota Corolla S
    Help!!!! Please!!!!

I searched around for some possible solutions, and didn't see any that would really apply to me, or one that was on a 9th gen rolla. (quick list of problems at bottom)

So here's what happened. :pout:

A few months back I installed a new deck that had a clock in it, because of the common issue of 9th Gen clocks intermittently working. (It was bought with sony points about to expire so it was like a no brainer lol)

Fast forward a few months, and I wanted some low end bass. Nothing too killer, just to listen to music and have some boom. Four days ago I bought the Infinity Basslink 200w 10in powered subwoofer.

Lastnight (4/18) I installed it. Didn't have any real issues, till I got to the sub. It wasn't getting power. Took out the multimeter, found out the fuse in the sub wasn't getting power. After some testing and what not, it somehow eventually got power, and blew the fuse (something shorted cause there was a spark when I added the ground). In it was a 20amp, I didn't have any replacement 20amps on me, so I threw in a 15amp. Worked like a champ.

I started up the car, and it stalled out. The idle is extremely low and the VSC, TCS and CEL come on after the car runs for about 20 seconds. Usually after disconnecting the battery, my car will have a low idle for a few cycles because I have a CAI installed, and it usually adjusts itself. But it hasn't. Driving down the highway at around 55-60 mph, when I let off the accelerator, the car does this little shimmy, which scared the crap outta me! Also when I park, or stop the car has an incredibly bad smell. I checked my wire that I added, and it isn't burning, and it isn't the sub. It's from outside, in the bay or exhaust. :confused:

Issues List:
    -VSC light
    -TCS light
    -CEL (probably becuase of ^^ those)
    -Terrible smell coming from car
    -Rough Idle
    -Stalling when being started

Someone please help! :help: I'm gonna have a friend look at it tomorrow, and gonna try some stuff, but any added knowledge is appreciated! I might end up having to take it in the dealer or someone to pull up what codes are coming up from the CEL. Mahalos in advance!

-iRep

2. Apr 19, 2013 at 3:56 AM
    dtmccray

dtmccray Well-Known Member

Member:
    millbrook alabama
    Vehicle:
    01 money pit
    d60 3link sas, bumpers, sliders, arb twin on board air comp w/11gal air tank,38.5/14.5r15 tsl sx swampers, rock 8 beadlocks, detroit rear, trutrac front.
    What is this terrible smell of which you speak? Like burned electrical or dead fish bad? All these problems started when you installed the sub amp?

3. Apr 19, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    iRep8OH8

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    hmm it smells like burning. such as a mosquito punk? but kinda worse? haha I checked the power wire, which is the only wire that I touched/added and its completely fine, shielded and not burnt at all. And unfortunately... yes. I bought a Powered Subwoofer, so I didn't have to deal with matching a Subwoofer and Amp. Thinking that if the manufacturer has the amp built in, it should be the best match and one less thing to worry about lol. I've heard that I could've fried my ECU, but I'm hoping that's not the case.

4. Apr 19, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    dtmccray

Member:
    millbrook alabama
    Vehicle:
    01 money pit
    d60 3link sas, bumpers, sliders, arb twin on board air comp w/11gal air tank,38.5/14.5r15 tsl sx swampers, rock 8 beadlocks, detroit rear, trutrac front.
    Where did you get power for the sub? Where did you ground it? Where did you connect your remote wire?

5. Apr 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    iRep8OH8

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    For the main power, I have an 8 gauge fused power wire running from the positive battery terminal, though the firewall, then running down the driver side to the trunk. On the passenger side, I have my RCA and Remote wire running down. RCA connected to the sub, and to my deck. Remote wire is running from sub tapped into the red 12v switch wire from my wiring harness which is also connected to my deck. I have my sub grounded on bare metal, on a screw for my right driver taillight. I checked, and have a stable ground. :(

6. Apr 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    dtmccray

Member:
    millbrook alabama
    Vehicle:
    01 money pit
    Sounds ok. Have you tried disconnecting the sub to see if your problem goes away? Did you check all your fuses?

7. Apr 19, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    iRep8OH8

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    yesssir, I disconnected the sub, checked most of my fuses in my fuse box (fuses connected to tcs and vsc, as well as some others, but not all). Unhooked the battery, let it sit, rehooked it up, still same issue.

8. Apr 19, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    dtmccray

Member:
    millbrook alabama
    Vehicle:
    01 money pit
    Hmm, I don't have any idea unless you tripped something when you first connected everything. Does that car have two fuse blocks? one under the hood and one under the dash? If so I would check all the fuses and relays one more time. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Time for me to go to work.

9. Apr 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM
    boopie

boopie 05trdoffroad

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05trdoffroad
    Toytec/Eibach Bilstein set at .85, URD TCAI , TRD catback exhaust,1.5" AAL
    Usually the remote wire is attached to a blue wire on the harness. Check you power wire from the positive of the battery to the amp. Might've gotten cut on the firewall??

10. Apr 20, 2013 at 6:31 AM
    iRep8OH8

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys!! but my friends figured it out! it was my MAF sensor. It decided to retire haha. Pulled the engine code and it was a open MAF. Switched it out with an X MAF sensor (Lucky thing my friend came by with the X!) and it was all good. Happy it was the MAF and not the ECU :goingcrazy:

Products Discussed in

To Top