Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Anybody regret buying a manual transmission?

Old 04-22-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
L33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant future
Marines:
Name: Jason
L33T35T Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
bog down in 2nd while moving? I can take off from a standstill in 2nd not very fast, but still done.
Your truck took a hell of a hit man. Looks like the car across the street did some major damage too. Glad you're ok.
... But why would you want to do that, unless you're in 4wd low? Can't be good for the clutch.

The other car and driver didn't do so well. He was in the hospital for a week or so. I only went to get checked out and x-rayed, everything was fine, just had a sore neck. The other guys car (Honda Accord I think) was obviously trashed. He went under the passenger rear corner, pushing my axle forward, along with the bed.

The crazy thing about the whole accident... Had I gone straight through that intersection instead of making a left, something I do frequently (depending on the opposing cars going straight or making lefts) as I travel through this intersection almost daily, he would have T-boned and probably rolled me. My old truck had around 4 to 5 inches of lift, would have rolled me right over. As it was I spun a full 360 and jumped the sidewalk. There is a fire hydrant 2 feet in front of my truck. The other guys car did a 180 and jumped the center median. He was initially traveling the opposite direction. His airbags deployed. Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
looks like you're on Brookhurst there...
Correct, Brookhurst near Warner, in front of the Sam's Club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBusGaming View Post
I've never seen traffic like you guys talk about, I can't imagine what you go through...
Simply put, it sucks. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, STOP!, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, STOP!, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, STOP! You get the idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
You gotta break it in like this . Then all good .
(YouTube video of the Vette)
That's HILARIOUS! He's just oblivious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredk View Post
Urd short throw changed the game for, me likes way better
Care to elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
..And going from 2nd to 1st? I never do that. Just flip it into neutral.
Happen a lot... I slow down for a red light, and just before I'm fully stopped the light turns green. If I stick it in first and don't rev match perfectly, it jerks me around. If I throw it in second, the engine bogs down to 300-400 RPMs and gets pissed off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Tired of shifting? It's better control!
Indeed it is. That's why I got it initially, because anybody that knows me would tell you that I'm a control freak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sten View Post
I've heard the auto is gutless though. (...) I know there is a tsb for that squeaky pedal, damn near lost my mind with all that squeak.
I haven't heard of the autos being gutless. Sounds like a test drive is in order before I decide to sell/buy an auto.

I'll have to look in to that TSB. It started within a month or two of buying the truck. Maybe there's some sand in there from 3 trips to pismo! (whoops!)
Old 04-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Only when I don't feel like putting my coffee down
Old 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
I learned to drive a stick on my first truck and still have it. I love it. Its a little bit harder to wheel at first but once you get used to it, its great. If i had to choose between an auto or manual offroad I would choose manual. And then if you get dual cases with a manual its just wonderful.

I dont spend much time on traffic so cant really comment on that.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #24
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T35T Tacoma View Post
... But why would you want to do that, unless you're in 4wd low? Can't be good for the clutch.
Oh i didnt say that i do, just that i can. I know what you mean with the rolling stops, happens to me too. I just hate an auto telling me what gear i have to be in. If i want to accelerate a bit to pass someone i do not need to down shift. I learned to drive on a manual, been doing it about 17 years now. Old habits are hard to break. And damn, i feel really old seeing how long ive been driving.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #25
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I had a manual before this truck

I like both
Old 04-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #26
The Messiah
tacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomatrd99's Tacoma Gallery
When I got my 2010 I was on cloud nine with my manual trans that I always dreamed about. I never got fully attached to that truck. Recently I sold it and bought a 1990 Toyota Pickup because I got a company car and was only driving it on weekends. I find myself driving this one much more and I believe most of it is due to the fact that I got tired of shifting.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #27
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Simply put, it sucks. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, STOP!, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, STOP!, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, STOP! You get the idea

^^^ I understand your annoyance. I hit about 20 stop signs going to school 5 days a week... and I only live 4.5 miles from school!!!! I find myself barely shifting into 4th then having to stop. sometimes 3rd. I usually find myself rolling through the stop sign in second. (only when there aren't any other cars or if its my right of way) Cali stops!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:00 AM   #28
TacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaG26 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SFS
Name: Nic
TacomaG26's Tacoma Gallery
I regret getting a Auto
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #29
tammikm has a spectacular aura abouttammikm has a spectacular aura about

tammikm's Tacoma Gallery
traded

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33T35T Tacoma View Post
On April 30th, 2012 I was in a bad wreck (not my fault) in my 2003 Tacoma. Thanks to some awesome insurance, on May 10th I was able to score myself my dream truck, a 2012 Tacoma DC 4wd Offroad edition with a 6 speed manual. I was on a cloud with truck of my dreams. My old truck was an automatic and I always wanted a manual. I also had an automatic MR2 that I was planning to convert to manual if the ever tranny died. I used to have an 85 4Runner that was manual; I didn't drive it much because it was purely for off-road use.

Now fast forward 11 months and 8,000 miles. I think I'm getting sick of it. I'm sick of the squeaky clutch, I'm sick of using 2 feet, I'm sick of shifting, I'm sick of that awkward point between 1st and 2nd, where you have to decide if you're going to rev up to 1st and jump around or bog down in 2nd. What really disappoints me is that the manual gets WORSE gas mileage than it's automatic counterpart. I just assumed the manual would get better gas mileage when I purchased it. It wasn't till after my purchase that I realized the gas mileage was the lowest out of all the Tacomas!

Am I just crazy? If I am, please tell me. Do I need a psychiatrist? ha ha

Has anybody else ever regretted getting a manual transmission after wanting one for the longest time? At this point in time I only have some rock sliders, Michelin A/T2s and a CB, but selling it and buying an automatic would be such a hassle.

The Silver Bullet, RIP
traded my manual in for an auto less than a year after buying in new...

same reasons you dislike yours!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #30
04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed04tacomarob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Corrections
Name: Robert
04tacomarob's Tacoma Gallery
To answer your question about the short shifter.

" URD short throw shifter boasts:

44% shorter throws
Improved Gear engagement
Installs in about 20 minutes
You wanted this major improvement since the first time you drove the Tacoma. The URD short shifter works on all 2005 and later Tacoma, manual 6-speed transmissions.

A few years ago URD purchased a 2005 Tacoma X-Runner for product development. We love The truck, but we disliked the OEM shifter. We took the shifter assembly out of the truck and immediately saw a problem. There was a clearance issue in the assembly that caused parts inside to bind before the gears were completely engaged. Furthermore, the throw on the six speed Tacoma shifter is long, and it can be tough to shift into some gears. URD decided to provide a solution to address both issues.

We tested other brands of short shifters in our test trucks. Although these other brands have a nice crisp short shift, there is a lot of noise and vibration that is transmitted through the shift lever into the cab.

This is because the other designs replace the entire shift lever. The stock shifter is really two parts bonded together with a rubber-like material. This deadens sound as well as vibration. It was clear that we wanted to retain this very important feature.

Another problem with other designs is an unnecessary complex installation requiring grinding and disassembly of the shifter pivot ball (while fighting a stiff spring in the process). URD's Tacoma short shifter is very simple to install.

This simple approach has an extension that slips over the end of the stock shifter and a spacer plate that easily installs between the transmission and shifter assembly. The whole installation process can be completed in about 20 minutes.

Shifts are short throws; about 44% less. Gear engagement is improved. There is no known downside here. This is the serious improvement that you have wanted since the first time you drove your six speed Tacoma.

Here's a link to URD for one.

http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1230100023
Old 04-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #31
liferider is on a distinguished road

Marines: 0311
liferider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
anytime i find myself at the end of a huge traffic jam..i love my auto.

in the wide open, a stick would be fun.
what he said!!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #32
Chadillac is on a distinguished road
Chadillac's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2012 MGM DC TRD Off Road with an auto. I wish I would have gotten the 6-speed. I'd trade you if I wasn't fleasing it.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #33
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
No regrets at all.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
hetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud ofhetkind has much to be proud of
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
The '11 taco is a six speed, as well as the 08 Wrangler Sahara, the '13 Subaru WRX Imprezza is only a five speed. All manual. We like them and our clutches last 200k or so.

Then again, my 35 miles ride to work only has 4 stop lights and three stop signs.

Then again, I lived through years of St. Louis, Cincinnati and Dallas traffic with 4 and 5 speeds in everything from toy pickups, landcruisers, Karmen Ghia and a early S10 blazer.

I don't see too many heavy trucks with automatics...

Howard
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #35
Hardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardscrabble is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Hardscrabble's Tacoma Gallery
No regrets for me. I wish the DCLB had the manual trans. option.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:45 AM   #36
3INVERTED9S is on a distinguished road

3INVERTED9S's Tacoma Gallery
Manual is the best. Had an automatic once and hated how boring it was to drive. The semi-truck I used to drive was a 10 speed manual, had a double clutch, and towed 68,000 pounds, so going to a five speed tacoma is really easy.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #37
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
No regrets on my manual - for one it means most people can't even ask to borrow my truck for their little errands to home depot.

I have had the truck for about 22K miles and shifting is a "no think" activity now. When I first got it, I came from a 2004 automatic tacoma and it took a little while to feel comfortable with the way the truck shifted but once I got used to the sweet spots, it rides like a dream and I easily get over the EPA rated MPG.

Even if it is more of a pain in traffic, I would hate myself for converting to Auto for that reason alone. There is something about that mechanical feeling of shifting while driving.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #38
Findus11 will become famous soon enoughFindus11 will become famous soon enough
Findus11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredk View Post
Urd short throw changed the game for, me likes way better
+1
I'd recommend getting the URD short throw. I frickin love mine, it installed easily, and it turns rowing a canoe into shifting a subaru
Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #39
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardscrabble View Post
No regrets for me. I wish the DCLB had the manual trans. option.
x2
Old 04-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #40
Sir Lurker is on a distinguished road

Sir Lurker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findus11 View Post
+1
I'd recommend getting the URD short throw. I frickin love mine, it installed easily, and it turns rowing a canoe into shifting a subaru
Funny you should mention a Subaru. I have a WRX that I installed a short throw shifter in and it shifts like a champ. One side effect however was a considerable increase in driveline noise. Did you notice anything like that with the URD?