Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Anybody regret buying a manual transmission?

Old 04-27-2013, 05:46 AM   #41
Old Newbie
Chad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad7088's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't say that I regret it really. I'd rather shift, but the auto is definitely a superior transmission IMO.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #42
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
No. I have never owned a vehicle without one, and never will. IMO a manual is far superior in the snow/ slush than an auto. Learn to rev match and you will minimize the use of your brakes in shitty weather. For those who argue the manual gets worse gas mileage, keep your foot off the skinny pedal. Plus, you bought a truck, not a prius...
I drive mine in Boston traffic all the time. It can be a pain, but it's not that bad. But, fat lazy Americans do love their auto transmissions.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #43
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Automatics are for women so are all the fancy things second gens have. Why have a outlet in the bed so you can plug the washer in? 1st gen is the definition of a truck with truck features not a Camry interior with 4wd and a Bed. Manual is the man
Old 04-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #44
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Been shifting gears since 1970, I'll stick with my auto... See what I did there.
Have had many, many, manual trucks and cars, mostly trucks, always trucks with me. Just easier. Just me, you drive what you like Mr Man. If you need to use 2 feet to drive, left foot brake, eh?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #45
Tcomaboy is on a distinguished road
Name: BakFlip customer service SUCKS
Tcomaboy's Tacoma Gallery
I think as you get older, the manual isn't as nice and turns out to be more of a hassle..... I know when I was young and stupid I loved manuals....had them on my first two cars and my jeep..... These days in my early 30s , I'm lazy ..... It's kind of like if I had to go back to school and sit in a classroom.... I just couldn't do it
Old 04-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #46
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
YOU ARE YOUNG!! I'm old and I drive a stick. Maybe that's why I still do. Us old timers can't handle these newfangled automatic transmissions.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #47
scottg918514 is on a distinguished road
scottg918514's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
Nope. Never will regret it. I love being a man.
True that. "Sick of shifting" why did u get a manual?
Old 04-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #48
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
OP I'll trade you my 03 auto for your stick. I'll even deliver it. I want a stick so bad. My old taco was a stick and I miss it so much. I'm the only one in my family with an auto.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #49
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Never regretted it, but I've been driving manual for so long it has just become a muscle reflex.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #50
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
Automatics are for women so are all the fancy things second gens have. Why have a outlet in the bed so you can plug the washer in? 1st gen is the definition of a truck with truck features not a Camry interior with 4wd and a Bed. Manual is the man
The second gen isn't even that fancy, compared to the leather and chrome clad options in the Tundra and F150 that likely have heated seats and mirrors, it is mediocre. Only thing I see more manly about 1st gens is a manual transfercase and locking manual hubs, that's it. The real super manly toyota trucks are the ones with solid axles front and rear.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #51
sodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant future

sodoscott's Tacoma Gallery
Now after 1 year Not at all its like habit + URD quicks shifter its fun to drive , first 2 months yes
Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #52
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
I never regret it. Minus maybe once a year sitting in traffic ill bitch about for a few minutes.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #53
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueitrgsr View Post
I never regret it. Minus maybe once a year sitting in traffic ill bitch about for a few minutes.
+1
Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #54
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post

Now I love a manual and my original 2003 Tacoma was a 5 speed. Unfortunately what has landed in my lap has all be auto's. Even my current 2003 Tacoma is an auto. However, you want to talk shit about automatic transmissions I'll put my 4Runner up against your truck any day of the week and any trail and will not humbly accept your apologies at the end of the trail
Old 04-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #55
RN
BenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenJammn5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
BenJammn5's Tacoma Gallery
1st-2nd-3rd pulls are spaced too far apart and for whatever reason 4th-5th-6th are close.

Today manuals are often slower than their automatic counterparts, but when I test drove auto vs manual the stick felt faster in the AC Tacoma.

I drive a manual because I love driving. 4WD auto's are better offroad and most situations. PreRunner's with manuals are fun for desert runs, which is what my truck does mostly as it can't crawl hills and rocks.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #56
Knowledge rating result of a goat vs MC vid
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Aught2TaCO's Tacoma Gallery
I drove a manual shift Sonoma for 15 years before my auto Taco, and I'm pleased with the auto trans. The clutch in that Sonoma was real stiff even after replacing every component in the system, that helped in making my decision for an auto trans. Just got tired of shifting myself.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #57
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Have auto so no regret, originally I wanted manual, but test drove 6 speed and had the same problem as op. inability to go from 2 to 1st in traffic is a deal killer for me. I had Tdi that had the same setup and annoyed the heck out me. 1gens with 5 speed are much better.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #58
LoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud ofLoneCynic has much to be proud of
LoneCynic's Tacoma Gallery
I have no regrets, but I've never owned anything but manuals. I've driven automatics a few times on long road trips where I was riding with someone else and was asked to take a turn behind the wheel, but other than those few instances, I really do not even know how to drive an automatic very well. I get the concept, "put it in Drive and go" but all that ever happens is I get irritated because I listen to the sound of engine, and those things never shift where and when I think it should.

I'm not of the school of thought that driving a stick makes you more macho, it makes no difference to me what others prefer. I just hope there continues to be enough demand for manuals, so I can still get new cars in the future. It is all I know, and so that's what I always buy. It's a shame too, because I've actually not purchased vehicles before that I wanted because they were only offered with an auto. I just didn't think I could put up with it, and I would get tired of it quickly and regret the purchase.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #59
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
No. I have never owned a vehicle without one, and never will.
Same here. I'll shift till I die.
I even took off the power steering because I like to actually feel the road I'm driving on.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #60
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
...fat lazy Americans do love their auto transmissions.
Even the cars look fat nowadays.