Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Anybody regret buying a manual transmission?

Old 04-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #61
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
I traded my 2010 with a 2.7 + 5 spd for a 2012 V6 + auto and have absolutely no regrets. The V6 hasn't been that big a deal since I drive conservatively and haven't towed with it yet, but the auto makes the daily commute almost enjoyable again.

I do miss the extra 3mpg from the 2010 - but hey, you can't have everything....
Old 04-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #62
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
My 2006 prerunner is anything but fancy. Its is completely base. Manual trans, manual windows, radio, cd, all black interior, none of that silver shit. And air conditioning. That's about all my trucks got. I got it for 13,500 with 68,000 on the clock. Simpler is cheaper and less things = less things that can break. Its also the 4cl which we all know never dies.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #63
R.I.P. "Pearl the Shark"
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
my first truck was a manual and i definitely prefer it over auto, unless i'm stuck in rush hour traffic or taking off from a stop, on an incline, with some asshole tailgating me.
manual ftw, i sure miss it.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #64
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I have never owned an auto and will keep driving a manual as long as they are available. I love how easy they are to work on, I like the actual act of shifting, I like the slight gas mileage increase and I like the extra power to the wheels. All that said what I like most of all is choosing what gear I want, what RPM I want and what throttle position I want, all at the same time.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #65
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Auto gets better MPG and you can shift if you want to
Old 04-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #66
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Auto gets better MPG and you can shift if you want to
Manual gets better MPG and you can shift if you want to. on the first gens

Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #68
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I miss manual. I had it in my Mustang GT and it was fun. Auto is definitely easier for off-roading in a lot of situations. Manual was more fun and cooler.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #69
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
I had a manual on my 2000 and now I have an auto in the 2008, I prefer the auto.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #70
alwaysfaded is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
alwaysfaded's Tacoma Gallery
Driving my 5 speed puts a smile on my face everytime I drive the taco. No regrets!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #71
taylorf16 will become famous soon enough

Name: Noah
taylorf16's Tacoma Gallery
I've had both -

07 V6 Auto - Best overall for mileage, doesn't rev as high at 80mpg - better for rocks.
05 V6 Manual - Electronic Throttle response sucks and 1-3 gears are too short

97 3.4 Auto - sucks
02 DCSB Manual (swapped) - Best trans for the 3.4

With the 4.0, you're I think you'd be better off with the auto.. Especially with your commute... You'll get a little better mileage.

/.02
Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #72
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
This guy does ^

Reason why >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOWp9...7du5xlOXKrLueA

He's running twin stick now

well because he is running stock gears to.

I have 4.56 i don't smoke the clutch that much at all any more.

But dual trans case will help to.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #73
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Living in Socal in some of the worst traffic in the nation, I commuted years for 27 miles each way in bumper to bumper traffic. Two hours a day killed the manual for me. I sold a perfectly good new at the time '06 4 door civic w/manual because the hours of 1st, second neutral.. 1st second neutral would get really annoying. I have done a lot of life changes over the years because of traffic including motorcycles, changing jobs and what hours I work because it just ate up too much of my life. I bought my new Taco as a daily driver which means it has to meet all my needs. I'm done with manuals unless I buy a sports car/convertible at some point in the future.

Oh and I'm not sure how manuals make you more "manly" because a lot of women can and do drive them as well. If you took out the starter and cranked it manually that would be manly. Otherwise, it sounds like some people are insecure about their manhood.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #74
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
Living in Socal in some of the worst traffic in the nation, I commuted years for 27 miles each way in bumper to bumper traffic. Two hours a day killed the manual for me. I sold a perfectly good new at the time '06 4 door civic w/manual because the hours of 1st, second neutral.. 1st second neutral would get really annoying. I have done a lot of life changes over the years because of traffic including motorcycles, changing jobs and what hours I work because it just ate up too much of my life. I bought my new Taco as a daily driver which means it has to meet all my needs. I'm done with manuals unless I buy a sports car/convertible at some point in the future.
I used to spend hours in traffic daily until I moved out of town. It took about ten years to gradually move my business to the rural area in which I live... but it was worth it. Now there's no more sitting in traffic because I've reclaimed a large part of my life.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #75
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorf16 View Post
I've had both -

07 V6 Auto - Best overall for mileage, doesn't rev as high at 80mpg - better for rocks.
05 V6 Manual - Electronic Throttle response sucks and 1-3 gears are too short

97 3.4 Auto - sucks
02 DCSB Manual (swapped) - Best trans for the 3.4

With the 4.0, you're I think you'd be better off with the auto.. Especially with your commute... You'll get a little better mileage.

/.02
80mpg with the V6 auto? Shit, I better go trade my 4 banger in!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #76
otenba is on a distinguished road
otenba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
Automatics are for women so are all the fancy things second gens have. Why have a outlet in the bed so you can plug the washer in? 1st gen is the definition of a truck with truck features not a Camry interior with 4wd and a Bed. Manual is the man
hey now, all the 'men' i know with tacos have autos - i'm the only one i know with the 6-spd...

anyhoo, my '06 was an auto... my mom was trying to convince me to get an manual trans but i had never owned a manual trans vehicle before so i went the safe route with the auto. then i picked up an '88 mr2 with the 5-spd and it was great! when i sold that one, i missed shifting and got bored really easily when driving so i made sure to get the manual for the 2010 i have now.

biggest regret was not listening to my mother the first time around (but don't tell her i said that ) oh and there was that drive home when i picked it up from the dealership... brand new clutch + one of the worst traffic cities in the country (honolulu) + 5pm on a friday afternoon + like most local people, i drive barefoot = a brief moment of "why did i do this again?"

but other than that, i'm glad i have the manual trans and i don't think i could ever go back to auto... and my clutch only squeaks intermittently - usually if i press it in slowly.

i think the only time i may end up regretting is when it comes time to sell it - i hear they're kind of difficult to sell since not so many people drive manual anymore...
Old 06-17-2013, 12:53 AM   #78
dph473 is on a distinguished road
dph473's Tacoma Gallery
My first three Tacomas were manuals, I'm glad I have an auto now. Simply for the commute traffic I'm stuck in daily so i'm not in the clutch all the time.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #79
flatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedflatblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flatblack's Tacoma Gallery
I vote for manual

on top of all the reasons my fellow manual advocates have mentioned:

If pretty much anything goes wrong inside of an automatic, you're not moving; whereas, even if several of your gears are completely dusted in your manual, you can still get home: do the ol' shift from 1st to 3rd to 5th (or whatever)

If your battery dies, you're screwed with an auto; got a manual? BAM! just pop start that S'om Bit#$ (yeah, I know, pop-starting often requires some foreknowledge so as you're sitting on an incline or have a buddy in tow to give you a push, etc.)

If your battery is still alive, but your engine won't turn over and you're sitting dead at an intersection: you're screwed with an auto; Got a manual?! Clutch Start Cancel that baby and creep off to the shoulder

These things + what the others have mentioned = Manual wins
...but, seriously