Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Anybody regret buying a manual transmission?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #161
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
Gotta teach the wife to drive stick rather soon - nothing worse than taking my truck for a night of drinking and having to cap it early because she can't get me home.
Don't use your truck. I taught one female to drive a stick and the clutch was never the same again.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #162
otenba is on a distinguished road
otenba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artruck View Post
I love my 5 speed. Works great and the gearing is perfect. That said, I live in a world of few traffic jams. I can understand how nice an auto is in traffic, the bus I drive is an auto and the idea of shifting all day in traffic would get tiresome...
i remember being on a school bus when i was in high school and noticed it was a manual trans. we were going over a very hilly part of the freeway and i remember thinking instantly that our bus driver was a BAMF.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #163
mercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to behold

Navy: civil service
Name: gary
mercurymullet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarjamman View Post
Gotta teach the wife to drive stick rather soon - nothing worse than taking my truck for a night of drinking and having to cap it early because she can't get me home.
Use 4low. teach them to clutch, then add in shifting, then add in gas. Then put it hi range. GOLDEN. Or don't teach her and she will never borrow your truck
Old 07-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #164
otenba is on a distinguished road
otenba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurymullet View Post
Use 4low. teach them to clutch, then add in shifting, then add in gas. Then put it hi range. GOLDEN. Or don't teach her and she will never borrow your truck
does this technique work on men? need to teach the bf how in case he needs to drive my truck...
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #165
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by otenba View Post
does this technique work on men? need to teach the bf how in case he needs to drive my truck...
No. That's another procedure...
Old 07-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #167
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurymullet View Post
Teach her better. I taught my daughter on my Taco. Now she loves showing off to young guys who never knew what the third pedal was for. She even drove someone's Mazda and reported the Taco's clutch is better. (Must have been Dad's great clutch work!)
Old 07-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #168
DJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDJB1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DJB1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
My statements are not incorrect. However, It seems you don't quite understand what I might have written. Re read it again, and the parts of your quotes, then provide an argument. When I said the OD ratio was lower, I was speaking numerically, and gave the ratio's as an example. A lock up torque converter is just what it says. It locks up, thus creating a solid (no slippage) connection between the engine, and trans. many newer auto's are getting the same, if not better MPG than similar vehicle with a manual.

You are still thinking about gear ratios bass-ackwards. You can call a .73:1 gear ratio lower than a .85:1 and refer to the numerals all you want, but the rest of the world does it exactly the opposite: the lower the RATIO, the higher the NUMERAL. Here's something from Hot Rod magazine that explains it better than I can:

"Higher, lower, taller, shorter, more, less…how do you have any idea what guys are talking about when it comes to rear-axle gears? It’s confusing, because the slang seems to contradict the math. The biggest confusion comes with the terminology: 4.0:1 gears are lower than 3.0:1 gears, which makes no sense to most people because 4 is a higher number than 3. But here’s the deal: gear ratios are named for their output speed. One input revolution with a 4.0:1 gearset results in 0.25 output revolutions, which is lower than the 0.33 output revolutions with a 3.0:1 gearset. That’s the same reason why lower gears (higher numbers) are called slower gears and higher gears (lower numbers) are known as faster gears."

I understand exactly how a lockup torque converter works. SOMETIMES it is as mechanically efficient as a manual, like when you're on the freeway using cruise control. But the lockup disengages any time you tap on the brakes or let your foot off the throttle. In city driving it's rarely engaging. On the freeway without using cruise control, it is only engaged some of the time. You are correct that an automatic has to have a lockup torque converter and a higher overdrive gear ratio to beat a manual by 1 or 2 mpg. Full-size 1/2 ton trucks are now rated better MPG than automatic or manual Tacomas, and I'd still rather have a Tacoma. Let's just agree that Toyota Tacomas are awesome, and here's the link to that Hot Rod article:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...#ixzz2YsnVt3Pp
Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #169
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB1 View Post
You are still thinking about gear ratios bass-ackwards. You can call a .73:1 gear ratio lower than a .85:1 and refer to the numerals all you want, but the rest of the world does it exactly the opposite: the lower the RATIO, the higher the NUMERAL. Here's something from Hot Rod magazine that explains it better than I can:

"Higher, lower, taller, shorter, more, less…how do you have any idea what guys are talking about when it comes to rear-axle gears? It’s confusing, because the slang seems to contradict the math. The biggest confusion comes with the terminology: 4.0:1 gears are lower than 3.0:1 gears, which makes no sense to most people because 4 is a higher number than 3. But here’s the deal: gear ratios are named for their output speed. One input revolution with a 4.0:1 gearset results in 0.25 output revolutions, which is lower than the 0.33 output revolutions with a 3.0:1 gearset. That’s the same reason why lower gears (higher numbers) are called slower gears and higher gears (lower numbers) are known as faster gears."

I understand exactly how a lockup torque converter works. SOMETIMES it is as mechanically efficient as a manual, like when you're on the freeway using cruise control. But the lockup disengages any time you tap on the brakes or let your foot off the throttle. In city driving it's rarely engaging. On the freeway without using cruise control, it is only engaged some of the time. You are correct that an automatic has to have a lockup torque converter and a higher overdrive gear ratio to beat a manual by 1 or 2 mpg. Full-size 1/2 ton trucks are now rated better MPG than automatic or manual Tacomas, and I'd still rather have a Tacoma. Let's just agree that Toyota Tacomas are awesome, and here's the link to that Hot Rod article:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...#ixzz2YsnVt3Pp
I am very well educated on gears. Many modern auto tranny have lock up converters that lock up in the top 3 gears, and achieve varying degrees of "lock up". Only time they "un lock" is during shifting. A good transmission shouldn't un lock until a down shift is required, or over 50% throttle is applied.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #170
mercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to beholdmercurymullet is a splendid one to behold

Navy: civil service
Name: gary
mercurymullet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by otenba View Post
I make no promises if he can't drive one by now. LOL

I've found I get worse MPG with the stick because I tend to not shift at the most efficient time (too lazy or having fun)
Old 07-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #171
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.cartalk.com/content/today...smission-myths-
debunked

Quote:
Dear Tom and Ray:

When I first learned to drive, a million years ago, my father (who knew nothing about cars) advised me to always drive a manual transmission because they handle better, are easier to repair, are cheaper, get better mileage, etc. Being an obedient daughter, I have owned and driven only manual-transmission cars all these years. Also, I needed the boost I got from the cool factor of a woman driving a stick shift (men are so transparent).

But now I'm older and am tired of all that shifting. I'm getting ready to trade in my 2003 Subaru Forester for a new one, and I want an automatic -- but will I be losing out on all the good things, like control and economy? Or does that no longer really apply, with today's car engineering? I don't want to do anything that might make me any less cool than I already am. Can I make the switch? My father isn't around any longer to advise me, but I know he would trust the opinions of his favorite car guys.

-- Nina

Quote:
TOM: Get the automatic, Nina. You have our blessing.

RAY: The things your father cites, while true in his day, are either no longer true or are not compelling arguments anymore. Let's take them one at a time.

TOM: Myth 1: Manual transmissions get better mileage. While this certainly was true for a long time, today's automatic transmissions pretty much match the mileage you can get with manual transmissions.

RAY: Older automatics had a lot of "slippage," or inefficiency, built into them. But much of that is gone since there are now computer controls, lock-up torque converters and things like dual clutches. Some automatics now have six, seven, eight or even infinitely variable speeds, giving them an advantage in mileage over their manual counterparts.

TOM: Myth 2: A manual transmission gives you more control over your car. This usually refers to being able to employ engine braking by downshifting or delaying an upshift. But you know what? You can do those things with an automatic transmission, too. And many computer-controlled automatics now have a "manual mode" that allows you to shift up and down through the gears manually anyway. So, if you want to, you can still drive to Duluth in second gear and get seven miles per gallon.

RAY: Plus, with the widespread adoption of computerized safety enhancements such as stability control, traction control and anti-lock brakes, new cars are very well-controlled these days, no matter what kind of transmission you're using.

TOM: Myth 3: Manual transmissions are cheaper and easier to repair. Well, that one's true. On cars that offer you a manual transmission option, it's often $1,000 less than the automatic. And should your automatic need a rebuild, it's expensive, because itlike doing one of those 14,000-piece jigsaw puzzles without the box-top picture.

RAY: However, many automatic transmissions last for the life of the vehicle, whereas a manual transmission will require at least one, if not more, $1,000 clutch replacements during a car's life. So the costs really are about the same.

TOM: Myth 4: Manual transmissions are more fun. That's probably the strongest argument for getting a manual transmission. And if you feel that way, you should get one and enjoy it.

RAY: But for some people, they're not more fun -- people who live in cities, for instance, and have to creep along in traffic every day. Or people who'd rather have their right hand free to change the radio station or administer a dope slap to a recalcitrant preteen in a passenger seat.

TOM: But it's really a matter of personal preference now. There are no good economic or mechanical reasons to choose a manual over an automatic anymore, Nina. So be as shiftless as you like. Dad would approve.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #172
Davell is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
Davell's Tacoma Gallery
No regrets here. Will buy a stick as long as they are available.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #173
cmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shedcmj is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
cmj's Tacoma Gallery
All my vehicles have been manual but I noticed that Ive been slouching to the right to reach the shifter. It's not good for the back so next truck I'd probably get an auto. Ill always prefer manual in a car if its available however. Way too fun
Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #175
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj View Post
All my vehicles have been manual but I noticed that Ive been slouching to the right to reach the shifter. It's not good for the back so next truck I'd probably get an auto. Ill always prefer manual in a car if its available however. Way too fun
Could be to to your age and/or physical activity level. could be your wallet as mentioned also or you could just need to scoot over in the seat

Your body geometry could need a different shifter, we are all different.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #176
PhdNPrerunners will become famous soon enoughPhdNPrerunners will become famous soon enough

Name: Justin
PhdNPrerunners's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned 3 tacomas all which have been first gens. 2 of them were auto and 1 was a stick. I loved driving my first gen that was a stick but sadly I needed more room so I sold it to get a first gen double cab. Thats one down fall about my double cab is that it's not a stick shift. I am starting to collect parts for a manual trans swap when this auto goes out.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #177
MarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarineTacoDriver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: KC-130J Loadmaster
Name: Brian
MarineTacoDriver's Tacoma Gallery
My first truck in high school was a stick. I learned to drive by my friend leaving in his truck saying "meet you there!" Stalled it double digits that first day but then it just clicked and I've loved a stick shift since.
After that truck required to many repairs on my part time job budget, I sold it and my next truck was an auto. Hated it, you completely lose sense of being part of the driving experience! No wonder if you look in the car next to you on the highway, half the time they are drinking coffee while texting...no need to pay attention to what's happening so you know when to shift, and why use hands to hold the wheel when your coffee is getting cold and Facebook needs to be checked, and there is a perfectly good leg doing nothing that can hold a straight course!
So after I joined the Marines and saved up money, and started looking into vehicles again, I knew I wanted a manual. Ever since the 05 Tacoma had come out I loved the body style, and they were available in a manual! Went to a dealership, described what I wanted to the salesmen and he said they had a brand new one on the lot, had been there for months because no one wanted a manual! Went back the next day and bought it with 11 miles on the odometer.
At 45k miles now and at no point in time have I regretted the MT. I've driven through DC, NYC and Boston traffic all in the same day on multiple occasions. Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, and my least favorite of them all, Houston traffic, and not once was rowing gears the part that angered me. In fact, it was usually the chick (sorry ladies, but stereotypes typically exist for a reason) drifting into my lane, or almost rear ending me in their automatic car because they are focusing on anything but piloting the multi-ton vehicle.

So long story short, no, I don't regret buying my manual...
Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #178
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
I love a manual for a short period of time ... then I get tired of shifting ... especially in heavy stop & go traffic ...

Now, many automatics have "paddle shifters" and get better mileage and are faster than manuals ...

However ... IMO ... manuals are a must have in the older 4x4 vehicles with the "manual locking hubs" & etc. ...
Old 04-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #179
rino1951 is on a distinguished road
Name: Rino
rino1951's Tacoma Gallery
Manual trans.

No I don't but cruise control would be nice.