Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Anybody regret buying a manual transmission?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
L33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant futureL33T35T Tacoma has a brilliant future
Marines:
Name: Jason
L33T35T Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody regret buying a manual transmission?

On April 30th, 2012 I was in a bad wreck (not my fault) in my 2003 Tacoma. Thanks to some awesome insurance, on May 10th I was able to score myself my dream truck, a 2012 Tacoma DC 4wd Offroad edition with a 6 speed manual. I was on a cloud with truck of my dreams. My old truck was an automatic and I always wanted a manual. I also had an automatic MR2 that I was planning to convert to manual if the ever tranny died. I used to have an 85 4Runner that was manual; I didn't drive it much because it was purely for off-road use.

Now fast forward 11 months and 8,000 miles. I think I'm getting sick of it. I'm sick of the squeaky clutch, I'm sick of using 2 feet, I'm sick of shifting, I'm sick of that awkward point between 1st and 2nd, where you have to decide if you're going to rev up to 1st and jump around or bog down in 2nd. What really disappoints me is that the manual gets WORSE gas mileage than it's automatic counterpart. I just assumed the manual would get better gas mileage when I purchased it. It wasn't till after my purchase that I realized the gas mileage was the lowest out of all the Tacomas!

Am I just crazy? If I am, please tell me. Do I need a psychiatrist? ha ha

Has anybody else ever regretted getting a manual transmission after wanting one for the longest time? At this point in time I only have some rock sliders, Michelin A/T2s and a CB, but selling it and buying an automatic would be such a hassle.

The Silver Bullet, RIP
Old 04-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Nope. Never will regret it. I love being a man.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
oh man, the carnage on your first gen might end up giving me nightmares tonight . Sorry for your loss.

Well damn, you live in the OC, last I checked, stop n go traffic is the equivalent to hell in that area, literally. When I am stuck in bad traffic over here in cushy norcal I simply remind myself that I'm not in "LA" traffic. I could probably get away with a manual over here (I still wish I had one) but completely understand why you are bitching about having the manual.

I would go with your gut before you start dumping mucho $ on your rig and swap over to an automatic. Also do this before your left leg muscle becomes larger than your right, unless of course you're already training to becoming a professional kick boxer.

EquinsuOcha - Haahaa, funny comment about "I love being a man", I get it.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Andres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndres is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andres
Andres's Tacoma Gallery
Man this makes me appreciate my Automatic taco a little better = ]
I'm having second toughts about my Automatic transmisison, Driving around the street I have no problem but when I think about taking it off-road man I like the manual a lot better. No complaints about my Auto, but Manual seems more fun at times. Sorry to hear you don't like your auto, you can always sell it and get exactly what you want.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
bog down in 2nd while moving? I can take off from a standstill in 2nd not very fast, but still done.
I love having a manual transmission, even in this horrible DC traffic. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Your truck took a hell of a hit man. Looks like the car across the street did some major damage too. Glad you're ok.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Well, if I'm being perfectly honest, some days I wonder about my decision. I've had mine about 1 year now. Before that had my 06 for over 6 years with an Auto. Some days I just don't feel like driving it. I haven't had any issues with mine, just getting a bit bored. Wife knows I've been detouring through the car lots a little lately. That could be trouble........................................... .............
Old 04-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
anytime i find myself at the end of a huge traffic jam..i love my auto.

in the wide open, a stick would be fun.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
ChrisGralnic is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
ChrisGralnic's Tacoma Gallery
Kind of, i like it then i don't. i totally feel you on the first to second thing. i think ive found a medium, but its a very clunky transmission other than 4th and 5th being smooth as butter on mine. 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is terrible. if i had to choose, and i could have whatever tranny i wanted, i would go with a Semi-Auto with paddle shifters for when i wanna feel cool. LOL
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #9
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
it's 2013...
it's not a sports car...
why in the hell would I need to shift for my truck when it can do it all by itself?
arms and legs flailing...
not to mention I live in the city... stop and go traffic.

hell, why not put a crank starter on the front so I can manually start the car too? you know, like a real man.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
The Silver Bullet, RIP
[/QUOTE]

looks like you're on Brookhurst there...
Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
^^ LOL. Had a feeling this thread would go in that direction...
This is why I said "different strokes for different folks"...
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #12
Sir Lurker is on a distinguished road

Sir Lurker's Tacoma Gallery
I liked the IDEA of the 6 speed when I bought the truck. Now I'm facing the reality of my decision. I have an 80 mile round trip commute to DC and back. Most days it's not a big deal, unless there is traffic. Now my clutch pedal has started to squeak.

Also, IMO the shift points are all over the place. I get tired of the head jerking when I'm trying to get up to speed.

But don't get me wrong, I like the manual... most of the time.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
I've never seen traffic like you guys talk about, I can't imagine what you go through...
Old 04-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
FALlover is a jewel in the roughFALlover is a jewel in the roughFALlover is a jewel in the rough
FALlover's Tacoma Gallery
love a manual

I had an automatic for awhile and it was boring to drive and i didn't like where it shifted

i'm sure it's a preference thing and we all have different preferences

sell it and get an auto
Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmathis View Post
fuck that, i wish i had gotten a auto :P

This guy does ^

Reason why >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOWp9...7du5xlOXKrLueA

He's running twin stick now
Old 04-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
You gotta break it in like this . Then all good .

http://youtu.be/GJ6atGhmVU8
Old 04-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
SteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
SteelCityPickle's Tacoma Gallery
The only time I regret it is when I'm sitting in traffic... and that's not all that often.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
Jaredk is on a distinguished road
Jaredk's Tacoma Gallery
Urd short throw changed the game for, me likes way better
Old 04-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
Nope. Never will regret it. I love being a man.

Well hell. If never regretting it makes one a man, then I love being a man too.

I learned how to drive in a stick. I don't get tired of using two feet because I use two feet to walk. It's second nature. And going from 2nd to 1st? I never do that. Just flip it into neutral. Squeaky clutch? Nothing a little grease didn't fix on mine. Tired of shifting? It's better control!

But sure, get the auto if it makes you happy. If I had an auto, I'd get the stick.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
I'm just here for the beer and tacos
Sten is on a distinguished road

Name: Sten
Sten's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mine for a little over a year. I still love it. I've heard the auto is gutless though (haven't been in a 2nd gen auto before). I know there is a tsb for that squeaky pedal, damn near lost my mind with all that squeak.