Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Can you modify a vehicle that the bank owns?

Old 05-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #41
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Key difference, "mods" to a house increase its value. Mods to a truck decrease it.
Not always true. The $7k I spent for my pool and deck best case keep me even, worst case might decrease my home value a little. The "attractive nuisance" thing..plus not everybody would use one so if a retired couple moved in it would be useless to them.

I'm sure it didn't go up a lot, but adding the delay wiper switch to my 2010 Tacoma probably is better than not having it to the average bear.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #42
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't just pay MORE extra on the payments and let the mods wait till you pay it off.
i bought a truck to use it. the way i wanted to use it was on the trails. i have this taco lifted, sliders, skids, tires, and in the woods w/i a month of ownership. damn waiting 5 years to play with it.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #43
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't just pay MORE extra on the payments and let the mods wait till you pay it off.
I was told back then when I was paying on my truck that for someone with no credit, it's better to maintain the loan for the life of it rather than pay it off early

Even though I could've bought and paid for my truck with cash, I chose to build my credit bc I had very little to no credit history and needed to build it up
Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 AM   #44
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
I was told back then when I was paying on my truck that for someone with no credit, it's better to maintain the loan for the life of it rather than pay it off early

Even though I could've bought and paid for my truck with cash, I chose to build my credit bc I had very little to no credit history and needed to build it up
This is what I'm doing. I had maybe 3 credit card purchases before my truck and I need credit for after school.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #45
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
This is what I'm doing. I had maybe 3 credit card purchases before my truck and I need credit for after school.
True, there are ways to do it and it's not always the size of the loan. Charging something for $20 and paying the bill right off for 12 months in a row will build credit faster than carrying a balance but making payments on time and more than the minimum.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #46
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
It depends on how early and in what manner it was paid off.
A 72 month loan paid off in 48 months looks very good, so long as the payments are consistently high, or consistently ramp up as time goes on.
A 72 month loan that is behind a month and suddenly paid in full at 48 months makes it look like a poor credit risk managed to pull in a large sum, perhaps from a property sale or home refinance. That looks bad.

On credit cards, you want every one of them to be below 50% balance, and preferably below 20% balance.
While your credit score looks better if you pay the balance every month, CC companies refer to those customers as "freeloaders" since they make no money off of them other than annual fees.

But when a credit card is paid off, even if it has an annual fee, do not close the account. Closed accounts, even closed at your request, look worse than an account that is simply not used, but available. Closing "empty" accounts makes it look like you have a lack of faith in your own ability to be responsible with your credit.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 PM   #48
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Key difference, "mods" to a house increase its value. Mods to a truck decrease it. (snip)
Not really true, in either case. Modifications don't automatically do either - increase the value of a home or decrease the value of a vehicle. Weird modifications could instead easily decrease the value of a home while highly desirable (popular) modifications could actually increase the value of a vehicle.

As an example of the latter, look at the difference in resell value between vehicles with and without the TRD modification packages. Those with TRD packages (TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, etc) consistently resell faster, and for a a higher amount, than those without. Additionally, those with TRD packages further modified with popular options (a winch on the TRD Off-Road, for example) often sell for even more and very rarely for less.

In reality, most common, minor, modifications (a new radio, seat covers, a trailer hitch, etc) have little or no impact whatsoever ( ± ) on the resell value of a vehicle.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #49
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Land / house generally appreciate in value

Vehicles generally depreciate in value
Old 05-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #50
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post

Really? We obviously already know that, Oz. What we're instead talking about here is the impact of a modification itself on whatever existing value a home or vehicle might have - will a modification further increase the value of a home or further decrease the value of a vehicle.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #51
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This ^^
Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 PM   #52
Adventurer
ffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shedffdawson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
ffdawson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This ^^

hahaaaa!

mod it dude. by the time you pay it off it'll be old and have hella miles and you'll want to trade it in for a new one anyway.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:10 AM   #53
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
As an example of the latter, look at the difference in resell value between vehicles with and without the TRD modification packages. Those with TRD packages (TRD Sport, TRD Off-Road, etc) consistently resell faster, and for a a higher amount, than those without. Additionally, those with TRD packages further modified with popular options (a winch on the TRD Off-Road, for example) often sell for even more and very rarely for less.
Those are factory options.

Take an SR5, buy OEM parts, and convert it to a Limited like I did with my '03 Tundra, and it's still an SR5.
Likewise, take a base model and install TRD components, it's still a base model... and if any change in value is to be had, it's from components that are better than the TRD components.

TRD SC? Maybe... depends on the customer.
Personally, I see a highly modified used vehicle and my first reaction is that it has been abused, so even if *I* want a supercharger, I would be more inclined to buy a Tacoma without one and add it myself.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:11 AM   #54

Quote:
further decrease the value of a vehicle.
It can, quite easily.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:16 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
It can, quite easily.
Once again, "Modifications don't automatically do either - increase the value of a home or decrease the value of a vehicle."
Old 05-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #56

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Really? We obviously already know that, Oz. What we're instead talking about here is the impact of a modification itself on whatever existing value a home or vehicle might have - will a modification further increase the value of a home or further decrease the value of a vehicle.
Actually the OP wanted to know if he was allowed to mod a vehicle he doesn't own yet and whether he had to ask the bank

You're the one jabbering on about appreciation and depreciation of vehicles and houses
Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #57

Quote:
Actually the OP wanted to know if he was allowed to mod a vehicle he doesn't own yet and whether he had to ask the bank

You're the one jabbering on about appreciation and depreciation of vehicles and houses
Say what? I didn't start the discussion about that. Instead, I was simply responding to others in this tread. Indeed, even the OP brought up the subject of decreased value as a result of mods.