Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

How did you start working on your trucks?

Old 05-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by azreb View Post
I started out working on my car--couldn't afford to hire the work done. Got out of college, bought a new car and discovered the dealership's work was questionable, so I decided to continue doing it myself. The real learning came when I drove a couple of Scouts. They always needed something done. I would say you have handicapped yourself--you have a Toyota. To really learn how to work on a vehicle, you should have a Jeep, Dodge, Scout, Ford or something similar, IMO.
x2
Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #22
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDTaco View Post
Haha I wish. Our whole school (Pre-K through 12th) has like 200 kids. We don't have electives. I would kill for a shop class though
My graduating class was 50 and we had 2 shops and multiple classes but I guess that's more than you. Sorry man. I guess, read read read, buy some books, read on the internet, then get out there and do hands on stuff. Make it known you're a car guy and want to help/learn. People are always doing SOMETHING.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #23
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
My Dad. Always been interested in cars and trucks. Most I've learned has been from him. Still learning
Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #24
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Study, research, trial and error, google. Do whatever classes you can afford. I got my welding certificate from a cracker jack box (Youtube).
Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #25
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So TW, in the months of lurking and scouring this site, I have seen many of you perform pretty involved (quite an understatement) projects and modifications to your trucks that most people would have taken to a mechanic to do or simply not even have tried at all. Obviously, you don't just go out and do an SAS with zero mechanical experience at all. So, my question to y'all is this: How did you get your mechanical experience and know-how? Also how would you recommend a teenager such as myself gaining such experience? I want to be able to work on and repair my own vehicle.. I don't like being dependent on other people's time or skills and I don't like trusting other people to do things on my truck because I didn't see them do it and don't know if it was done right. I'd rather do it myself and have it done right. That being said, without experience, I just don't trust myself to do it right. So where do I start? Thanks for your time and answers.
Matthew

My Dad got me into it at an early age, but for a while - like college and all, I stopped doing it myself. After I got my Tacoma, I started back because I really like working on things and I also like my truck. They are super easy to work on and all. Also, as my son grows, I want to do the same with him.

Now to answer your question, since you don't have a lot of experience, I would get a good manual, use TW as a reference - have you seen the awesome write-ups? - and get yourself a good set of tools. You have a wealth of information in this forum at your fingertips, and with the exception of a few smartasses, everyone is more than willing to help. Heck, I have asked quite a few dumb questions and have always been helped!

I wouldn't be afraid to work on it - start small like changing oil, etc., and then move on to bigger and more involved work when needed...
Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #26
shutterbug is one of the sharper tools in the shedshutterbug is one of the sharper tools in the shedshutterbug is one of the sharper tools in the shedshutterbug is one of the sharper tools in the shedshutterbug is one of the sharper tools in the shedshutterbug is one of the sharper tools in the shedshutterbug is one of the sharper tools in the shedshutterbug is one of the sharper tools in the shedshutterbug is one of the sharper tools in the shedshutterbug is one of the sharper tools in the shedshutterbug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cameron
shutterbug's Tacoma Gallery
First thing I worked on was a suzuki samurai, then some rx-7's and then graduated to our tractors when they broke down..... plus it helps when all the vehicles you have bought were sitting in a field and don't run... it took me a while to really mod my truck just because I never had something so new haha
Old 05-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #27
guitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shedguitarjamman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zach
guitarjamman's Tacoma Gallery
Research and more research. I make sure I am over prepared to take on a task and then read a few more threads on whatever I am trying to do. Unless you are doing a custom fabrication on something - all work will require putting a bolt in the same spot it came out of.

Just keep track of what goes where (when I take a piece off, I put the bolts in the exact hole it came out of with the part), and write down the order you took things off of. I had no real mechanical experiences but I have a garage and have slowly aquired the proper tools, it is all a linear process of steps.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #28
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
be movtivated - work at a dealership get an entry level job and work your butt off learn as much as you can. it pays well and i have learned more in a dealership about people and cars than i could have learned in a 4 year engineering program.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #29
Cranky & often armed sysadmin
Xaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shedXaks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Xaks
Xaks's Tacoma Gallery
I started out as dirt-poor in the middle of nowhere in central Wisconsin in the 1970s.

I could have anything I wanted, so long as it didn't cost anything!

So, I grew up with 'field cars'....anything mechanical that I could make run to haul my ass around the northwoods built out of junk yard parts and whatever else was laying around.

As life went on, I just kept doing mostly my own maintenance on my vehicles, since I am already pretty handy with the wrenches.

Now, I know the value of my time. I can swap my own brake pads in an afternoon, or I can take the truck and a 12-pack to a buddy's shop and have it done in 30 minutes while we suck down Sam Adams and talk shit.

But, it is nice to be able to do it yourself, and more importantly, know when others are trying to snow-job you on something.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
You could try this.
Attend a local TW mod day even if you don't have anything to mod.
Watch, help & learn.
I did the watch, help & learn about lifting & then did my own.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
Talk slow, shoot fast.
DirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
DirtyDTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
My graduating class was 50 and we had 2 shops and multiple classes but I guess that's more than you. Sorry man. I guess, read read read, buy some books, read on the internet, then get out there and do hands on stuff. Make it known you're a car guy and want to help/learn. People are always doing SOMETHING.
The graduating class this year has 5 My class has 12.
Thank y'all for the answers. Tacomaworld is awesome

EDIT: Actually only 4 are graduating haha 1 won't quite make it.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #32
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The graduating class this year has 5 My class has 12.
Thank y'all for the answers. Tacomaworld is awesome

EDIT: Actually only 4 are graduating haha 1 won't quite make it.
Jesus

mine was around 300. Never took shop because the teachers brainwashed me into thinking I needed to take 4 years of foreign language to get into college
Old 05-11-2013, 12:41 AM   #33
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
I am glad I didn't take shop, for one, teacher was a big control freak dick, and two I take pride in learning through trial and error. Read dozens of repair manuals and did it myself. Took a long time to where I could do anything without the manual, but now most things I can jump right in and tear into. But, different strokes for different folks, do what is best for you! But, I'd highly advise buying a old Jeep if you wanna learn to work on things heh heh. They aren't junk, but they need a lot of love now and then.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #34
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
My technical knowledge had encompassed playing with plastic screwdrivers and inflatable hammers before this site

if all goes to plan I'll be doing an entire suspension swap by myself in a few weeks

this site has destroyed my free time
Old 05-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #35
Common sense isn't very common!
CrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Port Dawgs
Name: Johnathan
CrazyCooter's Tacoma Gallery
my dad taught me a good bit about mechanical work and have quite a few mechanics in the family, also A LOT by trail and error. If there is something i get stuck on or cant get i just look at youtube videos and research some things. This site is also a huge help when it comes to tricky things i havent tackled before. You have a lot of experts or well knowledged people at your finger tips by using TW.