Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Turn signal poor connection

Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Sproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud of
Sproulesxrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Turn signal poor connection

This is not for a tacoma. It is a 1996 Range Rover HSE. I am helping my brother fix his Range Rover.

The problem is that the driver indicator works intermediately. I pulled it apart and have concluded that there is a poor connection between the wire and the plastic unit that goes to the bulb. It looks like the dealership already fixed one of the 3 connectors while it was still on warranty. The problem is I have never dealt with this issue before and don't even know what parts to buy or how to go about fixing it. I would prefer to keep this a DIY. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. The blue wire is the one that has already been fixed by the dealership.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
buy a new connector and re wire it?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Napa should have that connector, or a set just like it male/female so u can save money and steer clear of rover parts.

Snip, solder, shrink wrap, self vulanizing tape......bulletproof
Old 05-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I would be surprised if you find that at NAPA. Worked there for awhile, maybe if it was a Chevy or Ford, but not likely for a Rover.

Have you tried Land Rover? Is there a british car parts dealer in your town? If not, NAPA will have some universal sockets with loose wires coming out of them. Push one of those into his light housing, silicone it in place, splice the wires. It's not pretty, but if you put a new bulb in before you silicone it, you're not likely to need to touch it again. It IS a 17 year old Range Rover, afterall.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=2432036

Something like this ^^ All the major auto parts stores should have something similar.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
Sproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud of
Sproulesxrunner's Tacoma Gallery
So a little update. I went to a couple of autostores and no luck finding a new connector. I posted on a Range Rover forum and they used econoseal 3 way connectors. http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-012-...ctor-2463.html

Anyone know where I could find an equivalent to this in Canada? State inspection is coming up pretty soon and I don't think I can wait for the part to come all the way from the UK.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
buy a "weatherpack" connector kit off ebay, and the crimpers, then crimp, then solder, 60/40 solder

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weatherpack-...d6e865&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEATHERPACK-...81ebb0&vxp=mtr

you need the RIGHT crimpers for this, don't fuck around, these aren't the nicest but you can get the job done just fine

you can find videos on youtube of how to crimp them, pretty standard

if you need to add length into the wires, twist them real tight and then solder and adhesive heat shrink over them

http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...-together.html

don't twist the individual wires before you twist them together though
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The other option is to remove the pins from those connectors and try to figure out what's wrong, but if they're corroded, better just to cut off and use the weatherpack

to remove the pin you'll have to figure out where the tab is that holds it into the connector, most are pretty simple, then they're probably simply crimped and MAYBE soldered like you will do with the weatherpack

some are a bitch and push out the top not pull out through the end but they're rare

weatherpack is probably a better fix but just saying...
Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #8

oh and I can see some exposed copper on that black wire, yuck, fix that up too
Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #9
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
buy a "weatherpack" connector kit off ebay, and the crimpers, then crimp, then solder, 60/40 solder

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weatherpack-...d6e865&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEATHERPACK-...81ebb0&vxp=mtr

you need the RIGHT crimpers for this, don't fuck around, these aren't the nicest but you can get the job done just fine

you can find videos on youtube of how to crimp them, pretty standard

if you need to add length into the wires, twist them real tight and then solder and adhesive heat shrink over them

http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...-together.html

don't twist the individual wires before you twist them together though
that sir is what I was thinking but couldnt remember the name..........worked at NAPA about 8yrs ago and I remember getting a set for myself for some reason.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #10

yeah weatherpacks are the shit, and then you only need the little round straw tool to de-pin them, beautifully easy <3
Old 05-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #11
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Just "hot wire" it. It's a 96 Land Rover, parts are hard to find and expensive when you do.

-Note the color of the connnector wires (Blue and Green/Red) and which headlight terminal they connect to (i.e. power wire/ground wire)
-Cut the whole connector off with side cuts leaving just the 2 wires.
-Strip the ends of the 2 wires.
-Get 2 female "disconnects" (appropriate gauge)
-Install 1 disconnect to each wire.
-Plug the individual disconnects onto the terminals of the headlight.

Connectors: