LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

I am going to Derby a 95 Corolla

Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #41
WABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to behold
WABOOM's Tacoma Gallery
Also some reply'ers may not realize that the factory gas tank is ALWAYS removed in a derby and replaced with a 5 gallon boat gas tank in the middle of the vehicle.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #42
WABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to beholdWABOOM is a splendid one to behold
WABOOM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktaco View Post
No joke, but as far as having a modded engine I guess you could say, does that cause any problems with rules/regulations?
No they wouldnt know or care. Some counties have different classes based on wheelbase and FWD or RWD. And some times whether cars are 4 cyl or V6. But rebuilds and internal mods are never known about ...or cared about.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #43
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WABOOM View Post
BTW I'm not demo'ing a pinto. I am demo'ing a Corolla. I have done a few pinto's in the past. Those classes are going the way of the Imperial. (there isn't any to run any longer)
Hell yes, I remember the old school Imperial..and I did realize that about the gas tanks.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #44
Talk slow, shoot fast.
DirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyDTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
DirtyDTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Also some reply'ers may not realize that the factory gas tank is ALWAYS removed in a derby and replaced with a 5 gallon boat gas tank in the middle of the vehicle.
I would be included in those who didn't realize haha. Thanks for filling me in tho. Always wondered how there weren't many explosions with old pintos and cars like that
Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #45
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sage
drunktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDTaco View Post
I would be included in those who didn't realize haha. Thanks for filling me in tho. Always wondered how there weren't many explosions with old pintos and cars like that
All glass has to be removed, the gas tank dropped and a fuel cell in its place inside the cab along with the battery I believe. And all lights have to be removed to I think.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #46
WABOOM's Tacoma Gallery
BTW ...I am not going to run my ... waterpump. It's an old school trick that I have done 6 times before. I know it sounds crazy but it works. Right away you will say "NO COOLANT???" ... but yes... I WILL have coolant. I will have an engine block full of coolant, a radiator full of coolant, rad hoses full of coolant, and an entire heater system full of coolant. hmmm "NO CIRCULATION" you might say>>>. but I will have circulation... when it gets hot the water in the block will boil up and out of the block. The water has to go somewhere (the radiator via the upper hose) it cools when in the radiator and then more hot water pushes it back into the motor. It creates a convection. Why do this? Because I will very likely get a ruptured radiator. Runnning a waterpump would quickly pump out all my coolant resulting in a "dry block". I would rather have hot water than no water. ya dig? Also I have tested this many times, its awesome.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #47
drunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrunktaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
BTW ...I am not going to run my ... waterpump. It's an old school trick that I have done 6 times before. I know it sounds crazy but it works. Right away you will say "NO COOLANT???" ... but yes... I WILL have coolant. I will have an engine block full of coolant, a radiator full of coolant, rad hoses full of coolant, and an entire heater system full of coolant. hmmm "NO CIRCULATION" you might say>>>. but I will have circulation... when it gets hot the water in the block will boil up and out of the block. The water has to go somewhere (the radiator via the upper hose) it cools when in the radiator and then more hot water pushes it back into the motor. It creates a convection. Why do this? Because I will very likely get a ruptured radiator. Runnning a waterpump would quickly pump out all my coolant resulting in a "dry block". I would rather have hot water than no water. ya dig? Also I have tested this many times, its awesome.
That's genius lol I never would have though of that.

My Pinto haha
Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #48
WABOOM's Tacoma Gallery
looks solid!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #49
magnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagnetic11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: MACS2
Name: Matt
magnetic11's Tacoma Gallery
I tried to derby an old chevette back in the day. They said no go.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #50
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the no water pump is a cool trick. Also wrapping your rad hoses tightly in layers of duct tape. At our local fair we have a compact class and using skinny spares for the none drive wheels in common. Also putting some washers on one wheel stud before the wheel adds a "wobble" motion when spinning creating a "larger" contact area for the drive tire on the ground. That is only good for dirt or mud, not black top. A buddy of my dad told me he would sometimes find a smaller tire and mount it inside the tire on the rim. So if you got a flat the other tire would act as stuffing or filler. Not sure if "The Great Stuff" expanding foam would work or be allowed inside of tires? Hmmmmmm
Old 07-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #51
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 07-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #52
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Subd for awesomeness!
Old 07-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #53
Quote:
looks solid!
It is. It runs great too.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #55
WABOOM's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #56
WABOOM's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #57
WABOOM's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #58
WABOOM's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-09-2013, 06:02 AM   #59
WABOOM's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #60
WABOOM's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Dude Tim View Post
Thread revival:

Just curious how you did in the derby? Did you make it pass inspection?
I ran it at a fair on July 28th and only made it about a minute when I took a huge shot to the front passenger wheel. The strut bent , the tie rod broke and a little while later the cv joint popped and I could move. So I brought the car home and replaced the strut and CV axle with used parts off craigslist and welded the tie rod. I ran it again on Sept 7. I was not feeling confident because all the cars I ran against were Mustangs and Pintos that were welded built much stronger. But I did what I could and actually did good. 4th place.