Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Thinking about Selling, need an SUV

Old 06-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy Thinking about Selling, need an SUV

Since our second child is soon to be born in mid July, I've been toying with the idea of getting an SUV for the wife.

Currently we own the Tacoma and another more economic car sort of speak, which is the car my wife drives, but this car has no ABS, no airbags, no ISOFIX system for the child seats.

I couldn't get more than 7k for that car, that would make a decent down payment for another new vehicle, but right now I cant really afford getting into another loan (I have a mortgage).

I have told the wife to drive the Taco, but she doesn't like it that much because of two reasons: Shes not used to drive a truck (that can be fixed) and, these kind of trucks are somehow very attractive to car jackers, now that is a very valid reason since she would be traveling with both children.

Another thing to get into consideration is, Tacoma Insurance is very high and the gas consumption is also high. I only use it for a 4 mile commute 4 times a day for my work.

Bottom line, every sign is telling me to get rid of it and get an SUV, thinking about a CRV, Mazda CX7, CRV, and would be something that I could buy without putting more $$ on it.

Anyway, I just needed to put it out there...
Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a CRV or a Rav4 would suit you well. I've heard bad things about the newer Mazdas, a buddy of mine had his throw a rod for no good reason. I believe his was the CX7.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Sounds like a CRV or a Rav4 would suit you well. I've heard bad things about the newer Mazdas, a buddy of mine had his throw a rod for no good reason. I believe his was the CX7.
Dang, I haven't heard no complaints about Mazdas on this side of the river, my sister has a Mazda 3, very good solid car so far... but Ill keep an eye on that.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
Dang, I haven't heard no complaints about Mazdas on this side of the river, my sister has a Mazda 3, very good solid car so far... but Ill keep an eye on that.
Yeah he's actually on this site if you feel like asking him about it.

Username: 99taco27505
Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
beatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud of
Name: Robert
beatupford's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Another thing to get into consideration is, Tacoma Insurance is very high
Is it? I was amazed that our 5 year old MINI returned a higher premium than my brand new Tacoma.

I've also heard if you can swing the AWD on crossovers, you should because it helps the insurance premium as well. Don't expect any serious off roading, but if you are make ng a long term purchase, it might prove advantageous.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
beatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud ofbeatupford has much to be proud of
Name: Robert
beatupford's Tacoma Gallery
If you are in the RAV4/CRV category, you are most likely looking to the CX5 for Mazda. Check out reviews online, I've not heard many bad things about them and the MPG is supposedly amazing and won't carry that premium sticker price a Honda or Toyota will.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatupford View Post
Is it? I was amazed that our 5 year old MINI returned a higher premium than my brand new Tacoma.

I've also heard if you can swing the AWD on crossovers, you should because it helps the insurance premium as well. Don't expect any serious off roading, but if you are make ng a long term purchase, it might prove advantageous.
Well, the market in Mexico its kind of different, im paying around $1500 a year for full insurance on the taco, which is high, the reason: from 2009 carjackers started targeting pick up trucks, since most of them were selled to drug dealers to use on the trails.

Also no need for offroading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatupford View Post
If you are in the RAV4/CRV category, you are most likely looking to the CX5 for Mazda. Check out reviews online, I've not heard many bad things about them and the MPG is supposedly amazing and won't carry that premium sticker price a Honda or Toyota will.
MAzda CX5 just came out this year on Mexico, and its above my budget since there are no used on the market.

Thank you for your input!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Rav4. Done.

My wife had 2 trucks (a 96 that was bought back being the more recent) and never thought she'd not have a truck but fell in love with her 2005 while we were shopping for another Tacoma.

Page 1629 of this http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...read-1629.html has a little about the Mazda SUV issues discussed here..Kirk1589 works at a Mazda dealership.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Rav4. Done.

My wife had 2 trucks (a 96 that was bought back being the more recent) and never thought she'd not have a truck but fell in love with her 2005 while we were shopping for another Tacoma.

Page 1629 of this http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/nor...read-1629.html has a little about the Mazda SUV issues discussed here..Kirk1589 works at a Mazda dealership.
Those are some bad issues!
Old 06-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I sold my 2nd gen Tacoma for a 3rd gen 4 runner because of my daughter. I like it much better with the wife, baby, and 2 dogs.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevigee View Post
The new Subaru Crosstrek might be a good fit. Just bought my wife one and we like it. The base model is really well equiped and reasonably priced. But it is first year model.
Seems like a very nice car, its a shame we dont get it down here in Mx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
I sold my 2nd gen Tacoma for a 3rd gen 4 runner because of my daughter. I like it much better with the wife, baby, and 2 dogs.
Cool! 4runners are nice, a bit pricey, my other option would be a 2008 highlander which is on the same price range as the tacoma would sell
Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool! 4runners are nice, a bit pricey, my other option would be a 2008 highlander which is on the same price range as the tacoma would sell
The Highlandewr is a solid vehicle, as is the RAV4 and Honda CRV. The Mazdas have had issues, with the direct injection system causing the bulk of the problems.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
My wife has a CRV and she loves it. Highly recommend one......
Old 06-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Seems like a very nice car, its a shame we dont get it down here in Mx.

Not 3rd gens. I have a 2000 limited with 80k on it paid under 10k.