Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Good daily driver car?

Old 06-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Good daily driver car?

I currently just have my pickup and although I am planning to get a sports car at some point in time I am thinking of getting another car in the meantime. I want something a little sporty, but nothing that will rape me on insurance. I will be living in Minnesota for at least for a couple years so I am not really interested in something rear wheel drive. Good/decent mileage and at least a little bit of utility (actual trunk) is a must. I will put my budget at $15k. First things I am thinking are maybe a Forester XT or maybe a Jetta TDi. Let me know what you guys think! Thanks

EDIT for some perspective:

1. (Car I am looking to buy now) Good mileage, good utility, sub $15k, won't rape me on insurance, good starting platform so I won't need to mod it, can handle Minnesota winters if something happens to the Taco, oil changes and tire changes only/maintenance items

2. (Sports car in the future) V8, RWD or AWD, good platform for building power, excellent handling, I'm pretty set on a Corvette... I don't want to have to choose between the taco or the sports car every day.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
RSX.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Ford Focus ST.
Edit: not sure how much those cost and didnt see the 15k budget line.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
aaronc7 is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
aaronc7's Tacoma Gallery
Why not keep the truck as a daily driver... save up for sporty car of your choice for the future? I bought the truck to serve as my DD, with fun/project car on the side.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
prerunner
Old 06-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
jbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shedjbmccul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jbmccul's Tacoma Gallery
Subaru Legacy GT

Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
colton, how bout this?
http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3890655944.html
Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #8
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Scion xb
Old 06-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsenordave View Post
Scion xb
I’d get one. wait, i drove moms alot before i got the taco. i like the newer ones a lot more then the ’05 we have. but they are pretty comy to drive, tons of room for stuff, back seat folds down, but room behind the back seat is kinda small, but if you don’t have 3 or 4 people you can fold the seat down.

also MPG is really good, and it’s kinda a small tank so it’s like $30 to maybe $40 or so to fill up. depends on gas prices, and what grade you put in.

edit: also the TC’s are nice cars, and a little more sporty.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 AM   #10
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My wife loves her VW Golf , great fuel economy too
Old 06-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #11
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
RSX.
Syncro issues iirc
Old 06-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #12
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRedNeck721 View Post
I’d get one. wait, i drove moms alot before i got the taco. i like the newer ones a lot more then the ’05 we have. but they are pretty comy to drive, tons of room for stuff, back seat folds down, but room behind the back seat is kinda small, but if you don’t have 3 or 4 people you can fold the seat down.

also MPG is really good, and it’s kinda a small tank so it’s like $30 to maybe $40 or so to fill up. depends on gas prices, and what grade you put in.

edit: also the TC’s are nice cars, and a little more sporty.
I can get 36mpg if I don't race it around...usually I'm right around 34mpg whic for a brick is pretty good.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #13
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsenordave View Post
I can get 36mpg if I don't race it around...usually I'm right around 34mpg whic for a brick is pretty good.
very nice. Idk what ours gets, have never bothered tracking it.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #14
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Try a miata
Old 06-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #15
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Corolla S.

I have a 2012, fucking thing gets 36mpg, cheap as fuck, not ground breaking fast, but fun to drive, and only borderline queer....
Old 06-24-2013, 05:37 AM   #16
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I am not looking for something that I will tempted to mod right now. I just want something to keep the road trip miles off of the Tacoma mostly.

1. (Car I am looking to buy now) Good mileage, good utility, sub $15k, won't rape me on insurance, good starting platform so I won't need to mod it, can handle Minnesota winters if something happens to the Taco, oil changes and tire changes only/maintenance items

2. (Sports car in the future) V8, RWD or AWD, good platform for building power, excellent handling, I'm pretty set on a Corvette... I don't want to have to choose between the taco or the sports car every day.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #17
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by memario1214 View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. I am not looking for something that I will tempted to mod right now. I just want something to keep the road trip miles off of the Tacoma mostly.

used STi
Old 06-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #18
Vivid Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
used STi
How's the reliability? Insurance won't rape me? They really don't get all that good of mileage do they?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:18 AM   #19

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How's the reliability? Insurance won't rape me? They really don't get all that good of mileage do they?
I missed a few lines......... guess I read this

Quote:
good starting platform so I won't need to mod it, can handle Minnesota winters if something happens to the Taco, oil changes and tire changes only/maintenance items
Quote:
AWD, good platform for building power, excellent handling

I should get to bed............ I derped up that 1
Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #20
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Insurance will rape you since your 23. And they get no better gas then your Tacoma. I will say get a Subaru though, IMO, a legacy or forester, their awd will kick ass in the snow