Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Buying first car - is this Carfax offputting?

Old 08-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
fishfox is on a distinguished road
fishfox's Tacoma Gallery
Buying first car - is this Carfax offputting?

Hi,
I'm checking out this Carfax report and I'm not sure what to make of it. If anybody could chime in with their impressions I'd be grateful.
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...WN72N23Z258473

Is the URL to the report.

I notice it's been serviced twice, the second of which was for "drivability/performance" at a transmission place. Is this any grounds for concern? I saw other carfaxes with more servicings for things like filter replacements and oil changes.

Secondly the car was "offered for sale" three weeks ago at a more reputable dealership. The car is now actually for sale at what seems to be a less reputable place (lookit the reviews... https://www.google.com/search?q=thom...=UTF-8#lrd=lrd ).

Anyways I just wanted to see if anybody had any advice for a first time buyer who doesn't really know the ropes.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Fortified with horsepower-adding goodness...
WHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWHPLSH3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Vance
WHPLSH3's Tacoma Gallery
This Carfax is good. It clearly shows 1 owner fron new, and nothing major repair- wise.
The fact that the transmission shop service was 13 months and 11,000 miles ago shows that they kept driving it after they got it back.
The car lot selling it looks like it's a fair size- not a fly-by-night outfit that's here today, gone tomorrow, which is also good because they should stand behind anything they sell.
Truck looks clean, but beware the rotten frame syndrome these trucks have... try to take someone who knows what they're looking at with you.
Price-wise, I have no idea because values are so location specific... but either way, there's always room to move on the price. Don't get suckered into extras like extended warranty, undercoat, etc... and don't be afraid to walk out empty handed if things start to go shady. Don't feel obligated to buy it just because you feel bad for wasting some of the salesman's time
Old 08-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
You're buying a 10+yr old truck with over 150K miles. I wouldn't be surprised that the tranny needed some sort of service. Looks like the original owner traded it in, and the dealer sold it wholesale to another smaller dealer who probably sells more older with mileage vehicles. Regardless of what all the fanboys here will say, a car is only as godd as the person who takes care of it...Toyota or not. IMO it's a crap shoot whenever you're buying a vehicle that old or with that many miles. Good luck
Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
Rincontaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Rincontaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would say its a pretty good car fax. BUT a couple things i would recommend.. Have the dealer also pull a autocheck...its the carfax equivalent but updated a little more frequently then carfax. Sometimes one will have information that the other does not. I always pull both and 30% of the time you will see something that the other wont. I would also have a mechanic check the car over before you sign the dotted line. Pep boys i think only charges like 40.00 bucks and to me that's money well spent. Also, as far as the two stores it could have been sold at auction after being traded in at the first dealers lot. A lot of dealers cant get those higher miles financed so they " cash the car up" at the auction. Good luck!

Mike

22 years in the car business