Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Next generation Nissan Titan gets cummins engine !!

Old 08-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #41
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Picture of the Cummins engine:

If Toyota wanted to, they can bring over the 1VD-FTV 4.5L turbodiesel V8 from overseas Land Cruisers, 479 lb-ft @ 1600-2600 rpm.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #42
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
Jump ship? No question. The first diesel I ever owned was an '86 Maxima with a diesel, and it was a monster. Tons of power and pretty good mpg (high 30's) even when it had over 200K on it. I've owned 6 other diesels since, but I never had the need for a super-duty truck, so a standard half ton truck sounds great. I love reading the people bitching about how worthless diesels are on have never logged any real miles in one. A VW Amorok or Ford euro-Ranger with Rudy's engine would be ideal for me.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #43
Colossians 3:2
PreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPreRunner03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ethan
PreRunner03's Tacoma Gallery
I will cross that bridge when I get there. I've got 178,000 miles on my truck so far. It should last me at least 100,000 more. A diesel half ton does interest me though. The Ram 1500 EcoDiesel gets my attention as well. http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/
Old 08-21-2013, 04:10 AM   #44
Taco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Guy11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Taco Guy11's Tacoma Gallery
I would def drive one......always been a fan of cummins but refuse to buy a dodge so maybe the next truck will be a Titan. I'm with everyone else tho would rather have/see a d4d in a Tacoma.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #45
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
It's another full size diesel. No news there really.
What we need is small pickup with diesel. Now if they get Frontier with diesel, Tacoma would get run for the money.
Problem is Nazi EPA run by liberals had pretty much killed small diesel in US.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #46
10splaya22 is on a distinguished road

Name: Drew
10splaya22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiveOn View Post
This!

I'm betting that Dodge is already in talks with Cummins to cram a diesel into the Ram 1500.
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/ecodiesel/
Old 08-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #47
taco duck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco duck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco duck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco duck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco duck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco duck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco duck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco duck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco duck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco duck is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco duck is one of the sharper tools in the shed
taco duck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
pretty sure that's not a cummins. in trucks 5.9 cummins= bulletproof.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #48
slowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired
Name: Mike
slowmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco duck View Post
pretty sure that's not a cummins. in trucks 5.9 cummins= bulletproof.
VM-Motori, from Italy.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #49
slowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shedslowmachine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Retired
Name: Mike
slowmachine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
It's another full size diesel. No news there really.
What we need is small pickup with diesel. Now if they get Frontier with diesel, Tacoma would get run for the money.
Problem is Nazi EPA run by liberals had pretty much killed small diesel in US.
??? I have owned and driven VW and Mercedes diesels since the 1970s. In the USA. I would still have one if my wife wasn't so fond of the Prius.

Mike
Old 08-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #50
gnawbone is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 548th RTG
Name: kj
gnawbone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
meh.. tacoma is perfect for me.. ill believe this when I see it in the lot. until then.. not so much..
According to the article in The Republic (newspaper in Columbus, IN - where Cummins Engine Company is located and where this engine will be made) says that this will be available in 4th quarter of 2014 in the "next generation Titan".

Cummins CEO Tom Linebarger also said that this project will result in 500 new jobs in Columbus - something we in this area are all VERY happy about (this is a town of about 40,000 so 500 jobs is a big deal).

This engine was originally designed to go in the 1500 Dodge Ram but the project was scrapped when Chrysler went bankrupt a couple of years ago.

Cummins is a worldwide organization and in the 34 years I've lived here I've never seen them make announcements like this that fell into the wishful thinking category. The time for a wishful thinking announcement would have been a couple of years ago with the Ram project and this is the first we've heard of this around here - I'm inclined to think you can go ahead and believe this one.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #51
Nfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNfurtado77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Nfurtado77's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like dodges are becoming less and less dodge haha first the engine now the tranny.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #52
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
+ another 1 who will jump ship if it's:
  • A good driving truck.
  • Good power and mpg comparatively.
  • Doesn't cost 50K.
  • Actually happens.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #53
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Is this the first V8 in Cummins' recent history? Hope it will be reliable.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #54
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
titans dont hold their resale value AT ALL. why would this be any different?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #55
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
A name-brand Cummins diesel will boost impression of long-term dependability... even if the rest of the truck falls apart around it.

Titan 3-year dependability: http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Ni...ck/ratings.htm
Tundra 3-year dependability: http://autos.jdpower.com/research/To...ck/ratings.htm
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #56
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
A name-brand Cummins diesel will boost impression of long-term dependability... even if the rest of the truck falls apart around it.

Titan 3-year dependability: http://autos.jdpower.com/research/Ni...ck/ratings.htm
Tundra 3-year dependability: http://autos.jdpower.com/research/To...ck/ratings.htm
That's true with Rams with a cummins. People drool over those things if they have a diesel, and piss on them otherwise, even on TW.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #57
bigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigtaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 9SFS
Name: Jared
bigtaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry but it's still a Nissan. Had a Tit in the past, so been there done that. Everytime I see a Titan pass I say man I feel sorry for that guy.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #58
Rabid Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtaco06 View Post
Sorry but it's still a Nissan. Had a Tit in the past, so been there done that. Everytime I see a Titan pass I say man I feel sorry for that guy.
Meh, I liked my '03 Xterra except the stupid Air conditioning that wouldn't stay fixed.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #59
Thomas Jefferson is on a distinguished road
Name: Derrick
Thomas Jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
The Reason a diesel Toyota or Nissan truck would be successful has little to do with the actual diesel engine but everything else on the truck. Toyota (and Nissan but to a lesser extent) is known not only for having reliable drivetrains but the small stuff (fuel sender, water pump, all electric motors, etc...)last longer as well. Every Chevy commercial boasts how they win the JD Power awards for initial quality and that says it all right there. Many American cars are great for the first 100,000 miles but after that you're in the wilderness. A cummins in a Nissan or whatever diesel would go into a Toyota really means you can get the best of both worlds. American manufactures should be very scared.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #60
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Let's see.....my Tacoma is running great, looking good, and is PAID FOR.......and it would cost me how much to buy a diesel Titan? And this is gonna save me how much in fuel.......I doubt it gets 30 mpg.....not with a 5.0 and 500 ft lbs.

Yawn......wake me when there is a 20,000 dollar midsize truck available that gets 30mpg......like they used to sell here in the US back in the 80's. 30 years of technology later, and they can't give us a 200HP diesel midsize that gets 30MPG? The old ones got 40 plus....just no power. We have evolved since then, the Hilux is proof of that.