Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Report: Toyota mulling Cummins diesel for Tundra?

Old 09-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
Report: Toyota mulling Cummins diesel for Tundra?

About time When Bloomberg spoke to Toyota USA Sales CEO Kazua Ohara recently, we highlighted his comments on the possible return of the Toyota Supra. However, the interview started with Ohara discussing the Tundra, and how it would take time to pinpoint and hone the pickup truck's brand image in the minds of consumers. That effort could get a boost, with a report in Edmunds saying that Toyota is "evaluating" the addition of a Cummins turbodiesel to the Tundra's engine options.

The Cummins powerplant is one of two options for the moment, the other being a hybrid powertrain. If the oil-burner got the thumbs-up, Toyota would follow the recent example of Nissan, which announced it would put a Cummins turbodiesel into its 2015 Titan. While the two Japanese companies make a closer comparison since they're both talking about Cummins applications in light-duty trucks, if it happens, it could be seen as further diluting the once-exclusive tie-up that Ram trucks has had with Cummins even though Ram has used Cummins in its heavy-duty truck. Toyota hasn't said when it will decide on which direction to take, but either will be a move for the better in the view of segment watchers; PickupTrucks.com said the first of its top-five fixes for the Tundra would be a better engine, perhaps a diesel-electric hybrid from Toyota's Hino unit. Cummins told Edmunds it can supply a second manufacturer with the 5.0-liter diesel that Nissan will be using, so we wouldn't be surprised to see it end up in a Toyota or somewhere else
Old 09-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
interesting, i wonder if it'll actually happen?
Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
It would be great for Canada , diesel is cheaper than regular 87
Old 09-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Ecip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ecip's Tacoma Gallery
Come on Toyota, you don't need Cummins. I wanna see a hino diesel, a 4 cyl turbo diesel for the Tacoma.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lots of up grades for this, been around the block. in a Toyota would it be nice
Old 09-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Juan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuan Solo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: 91B - Mechanic
Name: Johnny
Juan Solo's Tacoma Gallery
I'm all for it. I'd love to see V8 turbo diesel in the Tundra and that 2.7 hilux motor in the Taco. Americans have proved that we will spend money regardless of how broke we are, bring on the diesel!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #8
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
If Toyota put in a Cummins in the Tundra I would lose a lot of respect for them since they make their own diesels overseas
Old 09-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #9
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Man, have you driven a cummins? They're fun engines!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Man, have you driven a cummins? They're fun engines!
Yes I have! My uncle has a 2500 5.9 and it is fun to drive but I still think Toyota should manufacture their own diesels since they make them overseas
Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
I am the one who knocks

I just want a powerful diesel taco.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #12
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
Yes I have! My uncle has a 2500 5.9 and it is fun to drive but I still think Toyota should manufacture their own diesels since they make them overseas
Its america... needs to have a name brand. Even though a toyota built diesel would most likely be a solid powerplant.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
Ecip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEcip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ecip's Tacoma Gallery
The Americans probably will require Toyota to use an American engine, just like they required aerospecial to use their engines in the a-star helicopters.. They were nicknamed the falling-star due to all the engine flame outs all the time until they reintroduced their own turbines again..
Anyway.. I want to see a hino diesel in the Toyotas. I would be very disappointed if they used a Cummapart.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If Toyota put in a Cummins in the Tundra I would lose a lot of respect for them since they make their own diesels overseas
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btnewman View Post
Its america... needs to have a name brand. Even though a toyota built diesel would most likely be a solid powerplant.

Problem for the Hino engine would be "emissions BS", the standards difference for Class 4-8 trucks and automobiles is nuts...that is why Cummins can "ramp up" to anyone that has the $$$$ to make an American diesel work...

I do agree a Toyota diesel stateside would sell BUT at what cost to put our BS emissions on it would Toyota see a profit ?? And the warranty aspect of a "virgin market" could be $$$$$...
Old 09-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #15
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL

Cummings would be the best fit for something crate ready..been around forever!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #16

Ecip's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota has been making engines since the 1930s as well as far as I know.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
It would be great for Canada , diesel is cheaper than regular 87
As it should be. Ignorant politicians are the reason diesel is so expensive in the US.