Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Buying a gas-saver: 1974 AMC Gremlin!

Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Buying a gas-saver: 1974 AMC Gremlin!

Friend of mine has had this holed up in my shop for about a year now and hasn't done anything with it so I asked if he wanted to get rid of it. Needs an ignition and some cosmetic things like a window handle on the passenger door. Other than that it is in fantastic shape, 87k original miles and was owned by an old lady so was probably never revved past 4 grand in it's whole life. Has the bulletproof 232 inline six cylinder and they get close to 30mpg from what I read so why not? Save miles on my truck and save some money on gas are the reasons I want it. I kinda like old AMC's, they weren't the prettiest cars, but were unique in their own way. They sure look a lot cooler than the econoboxes of today that's for sure.

Going to get it running and take it for a drive on Monday, can't wait!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, I'd drive the hell out of that thing!
Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Nice. Not a Pacer, but still...
Old 09-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp1 View Post
Nice. Not a challenger, but still...
FTFY

I'd love to have a old car like that, especially with such low mileage.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like fun
Old 09-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
My mom bought one of those and sold it about 10 years later with probably less than 25k miles on it. I don't know what gas mileage she got, tho. I drove it a couple of times. It was a peppy little car. My brother wanted to put "Keds" stickers on it, behind the rear side windows.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Faketannydeluxe
WhiteTacoma09 is on a distinguished road
Name: Curt
WhiteTacoma09's Tacoma Gallery
put a lil vid up of it running/driving/walkaround when done. cool whip!!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
My father in law had one, awesomely strange and unique car. We'll need to see it all cleaned up and ready to go. I'm actually very . Car just oozez coolness.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post

Friend of mine has had this holed up in my shop for about a year now and hasn't done anything with it so I asked if he wanted to get rid of it. Needs an ignition and some cosmetic things like a window handle on the passenger door. Other than that it is in fantastic shape, 87k original miles and was owned by an old lady so was probably never revved past 4 grand in it's whole life. Has the bulletproof 232 inline six cylinder and they get close to 30mpg from what I read so why not? Save miles on my truck and save some money on gas are the reasons I want it. I kinda like old AMC's, they weren't the prettiest cars, but were unique in their own way. They sure look a lot cooler than the econoboxes of today that's for sure.

Going to get it running and take it for a drive on Monday, can't wait!
NOW I appreciate this...Old iron getting a 2nd chance at life PLUS, the dam garage even has a Rambler,Hudson,Nash sign already in place...They might know a few things about AMC........

Brother in law had the Eagle version of this and put dam near 200k on it,minor headaches with front drive train bearings and we ended up with a horn button mounted on the column ( dam oem horn was nuts $$) but it owed him nothing..

Good luck with a FUN project...
Old 09-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoope View Post
NOW I appreciate this...Old iron getting a 2nd chance at life PLUS, the dam garage even has a Rambler,Hudson,Nash sign already in place...They might know a few things about AMC........

Brother in law had the Eagle version of this and put dam near 200k on it,minor headaches with front drive train bearings and we ended up with a horn button mounted on the column ( dam oem horn was nuts $$) but it owed him nothing..

Good luck with a FUN project...
Those are signs ive collected over the years. The Rambler Nash Hudson parts service sign is my favorite
Old 09-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dand View Post
I know someone that owned a gremlin in the late 70's. Hardly spent any money for gas..because it broke down 2-3 times a month, lol.
Probably had the quirky AMC iron horse 4 banger, those things were a joke. Their inline sixes on the other hand are the complete opposite, I had a 258 in my old Jeep and it was the only thing that didn't have issues on that thing. They are bulletproof.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
play every day
tooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: CH47 Chinook mechanic
Name: Greg
tooter's Tacoma Gallery
That's a genuine cult car these days, and a 6 cylinder to boot!
And the body looks really nice on it, too. You'll have a nice simple economical car there when you get it running. If you take good care of it, you'll get a good resale.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
That's a genuine cult car these days, and a 6 cylinder to boot!
And the body looks really nice on it, too. You'll have a nice simple economical car there when you get it running. If you take good care of it, you'll get a good resale.
Yep, it is in real good shape from what I can see. When I get it running I am going to drive it over to my lift bay, get it up in the air and give a thorough inspection of the undercarriage. What little rust it has from what I can see is only surface rust.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
Cool man I used to have an amc comanche pickup. It had fuel injection and parts were crazy expensive but the old amc's sure had some character compared to cars of today.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
How much does a gremlin weigh?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
You oughtta paint it like the Mirth Mobile from Wayne's World. It was a '76 Pacer, but still, it would be rather gangster
Old 09-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodajeff View Post
How much does a gremlin weigh?
Like 2300lbs, they had the 304 V8 option and still remain to this day the lightest factory production car to ever come with a V8 in the US.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp1 View Post
Nice. Not a Pacer, but still...
I like the Grems better personally. Pacer looks too fat and like a fishbowl. Not to mention it didn't come with the V8 option.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #20
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery
I remember seeing those new in the dealership as a kid.