LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

S2000 or WRX?

Old 09-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #41
ONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud of

Name: Frank
ONALL4's Tacoma Gallery
If you put turbo in s2000 it'll probably be faster than sti and RWD so i see it to be more fun convert and roadster. As a 2nd car and a toy s2000 is more awesome )
Old 09-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #42
The109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of lightThe109 is a glorious beacon of light
Navy:
Name: Joe
The109's Tacoma Gallery
I had an '03 S2000.

The seats, shifter, build quality, handling and reliability were awesome. I put 60K on her and red lined it every time I drove it, never had any issues. The lack of bottom end kind of sucked though. I almost bought a WRX STI but i just couldn't get over the styling, bad ass performance wise though.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #43
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
I'm basically looking for a weekend car... Now my truck is basically a two seater and I was thinking the a wrx would be a good weekend car that could pull duty for other things on the side, but in reality I just want a car with some "wow" factor, and the wrx just doesn't have it... but it has the awesome performance. I've looked at wrx sti and they are just outside of the budget I'm looking at.

SO it would really just be a normal wrx, I personally like the 02 (bug eye) and the 04 years. The s2k all years are awesome, but only the 2000 - 2003 are within my target budget.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #44
except for God, I answer to no one
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
IMO the WRX is better for your use because,
A. 5 (?) seats
B. AWD, much better in snow than a s2k

Yes, the WRX doesn't have a WOW factor, but You can customize it ( IMO more effectively) for YOUR needs.

Just my .02.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #45
Scarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedScarlett4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Scarlett4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Dont get me wrong the STI is a sweet ride and so is the Evo when it comes to an awd rocket ship, but they are everywhere where I live! S2000 is my pick pick this is a car with huge potential for all kinds of fun and that wow factor when you lower it and add a hard top.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #46
ONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud ofONALL4 has much to be proud of

Name: Frank
ONALL4's Tacoma Gallery
AWD is more forgiving for cornering and launching at the track course but once you get really good at it you'd want RWD setup.

They try AWD in F1 racing the result wasn't good, yes rallying offroad course AWD would perform better but RWD is always better than AWD for speed and performance on track course or regular dry paved roads.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #47
MikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant futureMikeyMcFly has a brilliant future
MikeyMcFly's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2006 STi. It's paid off, so I'm keeping it, but in all honesty the whole experience has left me feeling slightly underwhelmed to be completely honest.

The Cons:
- It feels "fragile". I have just over 60K on the car, I purchased it with 16K. While I cannot comment on how the first two owners (yeah yeah) treated the car, I have been exceedingly gentle all things considered. I can't sit here and say I've never gone WOT, but I don't excessively beat on the car. The transmission just doesn't feel smooth, and it never has, even with Kartboy bushings, rear shifter stay and Subaru Extra-S fluid. I'm always paranoid that something is going to go on the motor, even though I run 3,400 mile OCIs, German Castrol 0w-30 and have the KillerB oil pickup upgrade. The motor makes so many mechanical noises.
- Shifter Action - As I touched on before, even with upgraded bushings and fluid, I find myself longing for my old '90 Accord with Neuspeed adapter. It just never feels particularly smooth compared to other models
- Paint/Build Quality - If I touch my car (black) it scratches. If I touch the interior, it scratches. I'm a thin guy and I'm replacing my lower seat bolster already. The bolts will crossthread at a drop of a hat. I'm chasing minor rust issues on a car that was driven for maybe a total of 3 winters over 6 years of ownership that was cleaned regularly. I have perfect quarters but my gas pocket has gotten a little wonky over the years.
- Rattles - Sometimes I play "What isn't rattling?"
- Brembos - Stainless bolts in aluminum calipers. I'm sure I'll need to Helicoil/Time Sert mine once the time comes to remove them from the car.

Pros
- Power - I've got a ProTuned via AccessPort Stage 2 setup that makes approx. 280 awhp on a dyno which typically reads 200-215 awhp for a bone stock STi. It is plenty fast, and a little too much time with the right foot will lead to laughable speeds in a hurry.
- Durability - While I may gripe that the car "feels" fragile, in 60K miles, I've replaced the rear struts and top hats because they were a known issue, but outside of that, I've had only regular maintenance.
- Exclusivity - You don't see many on the roads.
- Handling - I've never had a car grip the road quite so well. I have OEM 2011+ BBS/Dunlops (18x8.5, +55, 245/40-18) and it's unreal how hard the car grips. That being said, the OEM Dunlops are noisier than my BFGs.
- Exhaust Note - Best sounding modern 4cyl car out there
- Brembos - Best brakes I've ever used, hands down.
So in closing, I totally love a quick blast down a twisty road in the car, but when I think about it too hard, I get annoyed. That's why I'm so happy it's now sitting in a garage and can be taken out when I feel the need to go up through the gears.

YMMV
Old 09-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #48
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
Both are cool enthusiast cars, fun to drive:

-One of them is reliable, and bulletproof, great in the corners, slow outta the gate, tho quick once up in the rpms. Has most likely been adult owned and properly maintained, will last a few hundred thousand miles

-One (of this vintage anyway) prolly passed thru 2 or 3 owners, at least one of them 17 yrs old, overboosted it to the point of detonation, chopped the dash to fit in xbox or some other juvenile toy, and has some sort of jc whitney object bolted to it, paint mis-matched, to simulate the top of the line model...but it does pull like a beast off the line

EOD said it nice "...finding a baby boomers mid life crisis S2k can be easier. If you buy it off some 60 year old, you are pretty much guaranteed a factory fresh car. "

Are you leaning either way?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #49
SteveO86 has a spectacular aura aboutSteveO86 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: Staff Sergeant
Name: Steve
SteveO86's Tacoma Gallery
The S2000 is an awesome car! I agree with all the points the OP has for it. However, I just got out of a 2011 WRX and all I can say is WOW. My priorities in life have shifted to wanting to own a house so a trcuk made more since as my only car. However, I was soo blow away by my WRX, even more so after I started modding it, that I will be buying a STi after I get my house and do some re-models in it. The WRX has a cheap interior, but that doesn't matter when you put your right foot down and the turbo spoools up. I would caution you on a WRX though if you plan to modify it. The 5-Speed row box isn't as strong as the STi, and they are known to fail once you get 300+ AWHP. The STi 6-speed is known to hold strong at 500+ AWHP.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #50
M202Flash is on a distinguished road

M202Flash's Tacoma Gallery
"EOD said it nice "...finding a baby boomers mid life crisis S2k can be easier. If you buy it off some 60 year old, you are pretty much guaranteed a factory fresh car."

I have to agree. I love my 2007 S2000, but I live in an area that's a little too hot for a convertible 4-5 months out of the year. As a result, it has become a garage queen with 9000 miles on it. I should probably sell it, but I'm having a hard time parting with it. STi was my second choice...both have pluses and minuses...the only con I can give the S2k is the convertible, but thats only due to my location.
Attached Thumbnails
S2000 or WRX?-s2k.jpg  
Old 09-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #51
06 Red Taco is a jewel in the rough06 Red Taco is a jewel in the rough06 Red Taco is a jewel in the rough06 Red Taco is a jewel in the rough
Name: Sean
06 Red Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Buy an STI. All the way. You should see them handle with new front and rear sway bars and for a few thousand dollars you can buy all the upgrades for stage 2. Awesome..... first mod always cobb accessport.

Edit : forgot to mention the car has 120k km and no problems on the 2011 sti hatch. And it has been driven...
Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #52
SteveO86 has a spectacular aura aboutSteveO86 has a spectacular aura about

Air Force: Staff Sergeant
Name: Steve
SteveO86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 Red Taco View Post
Buy an STI. All the way. You should see them handle with new front and rear sway bars and for a few thousand dollars you can buy all the upgrades for stage 2. Awesome..... first mod always cobb accessport.
That is true, if you get a Subie, you should always make your first mod a Cobb AP or an Tactrix Cable with a good open source tuning software. I had the AP because it gave me more features, and I didn't need a laptop in the car with me to do tuning runs.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #53
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Well I decided NOT to get a WRX or a S2000... I just didn't want to spend between $10k- $15k, I'd rather have the cash. So, I decided to pick up an EM1 Honda Civic... 2000 Honda Civic Si, stop laughing!. I had one in college and loved it. It a great little car for what it is. I have a few leads on one right now, hopefully have one in the garage by the end of the week. Best think is that a good quality one is only running for about $5k.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #54
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
What's an "EM1" - a tuner's package?

*** ah, the chassis code for a bonafide Si **
Old 10-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #55
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it just a fun little car that's not gonna break the bank... It's crazy all the used wrxs or s2000s within my $15k range have like 150k miles... For 15k! Screw that, I'd rather have the money, now an EM1 with 100k for $5k, that's not bad.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #56
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
What about a Mitsubishi Evo X… I think its time for the truck to go, but its hard to break the emotional attachment. Also, with the move to San Diego… looks like the truck will be an inconvenience.

So, here are the options…

06-07 WRX STI
08-10 Mitsubishi EVO X
13 Scion/Subaru FRS/BRZ

I'm going to sell my 2000 Civic Si and my Tacoma…

Any thoughts? oh this will be my primary vehicle
Old 03-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #58
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
truck is paid off
Old 03-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #60
HOME!!!

solus's Tacoma Gallery
well I'm trying to go down to 1 vehicle, I'm moving to SD at the end of the year so housing and space will be an issue.