1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

S2000 or WRX?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by solus, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Sep 10, 2013 at 8:58 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    IMO the WRX is better for your use because,
    A. 5 (?) seats
    B. AWD, much better in snow than a s2k

Yes, the WRX doesn't have a WOW factor, but You can customize it ( IMO more effectively) for YOUR needs.

Just my .02.

2. Sep 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    2ndGenJonny

2ndGenJonny Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Gilbert, AZ
    Dont get me wrong the STI is a sweet ride and so is the Evo when it comes to an awd rocket ship, but they are everywhere where I live! S2000 is my pick pick this is a car with huge potential for all kinds of fun and that wow factor when you lower it and add a hard top.

3. Sep 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    ONALL4

ONALL4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Toronto Canada
    Vehicle:
    2004 V6 4X4
    AWD is more forgiving for cornering and launching at the track course but once you get really good at it you'd want RWD setup.

They try AWD in F1 racing the result wasn't good, yes rallying offroad course AWD would perform better but RWD is always better than AWD for speed and performance on track course or regular dry paved roads.

4. Sep 17, 2013 at 7:31 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    I have a 2006 STi. It's paid off, so I'm keeping it, but in all honesty the whole experience has left me feeling slightly underwhelmed to be completely honest.

The Cons:
    - It feels "fragile". I have just over 60K on the car, I purchased it with 16K. While I cannot comment on how the first two owners (yeah yeah) treated the car, I have been exceedingly gentle all things considered. I can't sit here and say I've never gone WOT, but I don't excessively beat on the car. The transmission just doesn't feel smooth, and it never has, even with Kartboy bushings, rear shifter stay and Subaru Extra-S fluid. I'm always paranoid that something is going to go on the motor, even though I run 3,400 mile OCIs, German Castrol 0w-30 and have the KillerB oil pickup upgrade. The motor makes so many mechanical noises.
    - Shifter Action - As I touched on before, even with upgraded bushings and fluid, I find myself longing for my old '90 Accord with Neuspeed adapter. It just never feels particularly smooth compared to other models
    - Paint/Build Quality - If I touch my car (black) it scratches. If I touch the interior, it scratches. I'm a thin guy and I'm replacing my lower seat bolster already. The bolts will crossthread at a drop of a hat. I'm chasing minor rust issues on a car that was driven for maybe a total of 3 winters over 6 years of ownership that was cleaned regularly. I have perfect quarters but my gas pocket has gotten a little wonky over the years.
    - Rattles - Sometimes I play "What isn't rattling?"
    - Brembos - Stainless bolts in aluminum calipers. I'm sure I'll need to Helicoil/Time Sert mine once the time comes to remove them from the car.

Pros
    - Power - I've got a ProTuned via AccessPort Stage 2 setup that makes approx. 280 awhp on a dyno which typically reads 200-215 awhp for a bone stock STi. It is plenty fast, and a little too much time with the right foot will lead to laughable speeds in a hurry.
    - Durability - While I may gripe that the car "feels" fragile, in 60K miles, I've replaced the rear struts and top hats because they were a known issue, but outside of that, I've had only regular maintenance.
    - Exclusivity - You don't see many on the roads.
    - Handling - I've never had a car grip the road quite so well. I have OEM 2011+ BBS/Dunlops (18x8.5, +55, 245/40-18) and it's unreal how hard the car grips. That being said, the OEM Dunlops are noisier than my BFGs.
    - Exhaust Note - Best sounding modern 4cyl car out there
    - Brembos - Best brakes I've ever used, hands down.
    So in closing, I totally love a quick blast down a twisty road in the car, but when I think about it too hard, I get annoyed. That's why I'm so happy it's now sitting in a garage and can be taken out when I feel the need to go up through the gears.

YMMV

5. Sep 18, 2013 at 6:25 AM
    jeepdude

jeepdude Regular Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 4x4 TRD, bone stock for now
    Both are cool enthusiast cars, fun to drive:

-One of them is reliable, and bulletproof, great in the corners, slow outta the gate, tho quick once up in the rpms. Has most likely been adult owned and properly maintained, will last a few hundred thousand miles

-One (of this vintage anyway) prolly passed thru 2 or 3 owners, at least one of them 17 yrs old, overboosted it to the point of detonation, chopped the dash to fit in xbox or some other juvenile toy, and has some sort of jc whitney object bolted to it, paint mis-matched, to simulate the top of the line model...but it does pull like a beast off the line

EOD said it nice "...finding a baby boomers mid life crisis S2k can be easier. If you buy it off some 60 year old, you are pretty much guaranteed a factory fresh car. "

Are you leaning either way?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  6. Sep 18, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    The S2000 is an awesome car! I agree with all the points the OP has for it. However, I just got out of a 2011 WRX and all I can say is WOW. My priorities in life have shifted to wanting to own a house so a trcuk made more since as my only car. However, I was soo blow away by my WRX, even more so after I started modding it, that I will be buying a STi after I get my house and do some re-models in it. The WRX has a cheap interior, but that doesn't matter when you put your right foot down and the turbo spoools up. I would caution you on a WRX though if you plan to modify it. The 5-Speed row box isn't as strong as the STi, and they are known to fail once you get 300+ AWHP. The STi 6-speed is known to hold strong at 500+ AWHP.

7. Sep 18, 2013 at 7:01 AM
    M202Flash

M202Flash Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD DCSB
    Diff breather mod/JP Metal Fab Tie Downs/Plasti-dip front valance/Famous Fabrication Sliders/Illumination Supply LED Spotlights w/ Relentless Hood Hinge Light Mounts/Bora 1" Spacers/Westin Brush Guard/BajaRack/Goodyear Duratracs 265-75-16
    "EOD said it nice "...finding a baby boomers mid life crisis S2k can be easier. If you buy it off some 60 year old, you are pretty much guaranteed a factory fresh car."

I have to agree. I love my 2007 S2000, but I live in an area that's a little too hot for a convertible 4-5 months out of the year. As a result, it has become a garage queen with 9000 miles on it. I should probably sell it, but I'm having a hard time parting with it. STi was my second choice...both have pluses and minuses...the only con I can give the S2k is the convertible, but thats only due to my location.

S2K.jpg

8. Sep 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    06 Red Taco

06 Red Taco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Toronto Ontario
    Vehicle:
    06 Red Taco
    285 50 R20 Nitto Terra Grapler Tires Bilstein 5100 up front with toytec springs set a 2.75" front lift Bilstein 5160 rear shocks with Dakar 2.5" lift leaf springs Mini d2s retrofit headlights with dual halo rings and audi style led strip 20% Tint Paint matched Bed Cover
    Buy an STI. All the way. You should see them handle with new front and rear sway bars and for a few thousand dollars you can buy all the upgrades for stage 2. Awesome..... first mod always cobb accessport.

Edit : forgot to mention the car has 120k km and no problems on the 2011 sti hatch. And it has been driven...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  9. Sep 18, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    That is true, if you get a Subie, you should always make your first mod a Cobb AP or an Tactrix Cable with a good open source tuning software. I had the AP because it gave me more features, and I didn't need a laptop in the car with me to do tuning runs.

10. Sep 30, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Well I decided NOT to get a WRX or a S2000... I just didn't want to spend between $10k- $15k, I'd rather have the cash. So, I decided to pick up an EM1 Honda Civic... 2000 Honda Civic Si, stop laughing!. I had one in college and loved it. It a great little car for what it is. I have a few leads on one right now, hopefully have one in the garage by the end of the week. Best think is that a good quality one is only running for about $5k.

11. Oct 1, 2013 at 6:37 AM
    jeepdude

jeepdude Regular Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2004 ext cab 4x4 TRD, bone stock for now
    What's an "EM1" - a tuner's package?

*** ah, the chassis code for a bonafide Si **

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  12. Oct 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    Yes it just a fun little car that's not gonna break the bank... It's crazy all the used wrxs or s2000s within my $15k range have like 150k miles... For 15k! Screw that, I'd rather have the money, now an EM1 with 100k for $5k, that's not bad.

13. Mar 15, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    What about a Mitsubishi Evo X… I think its time for the truck to go, but its hard to break the emotional attachment. Also, with the move to San Diego… looks like the truck will be an inconvenience.

So, here are the options…

06-07 WRX STI
    08-10 Mitsubishi EVO X
    13 Scion/Subaru FRS/BRZ

I'm going to sell my 2000 Civic Si and my Tacoma…

Any thoughts? oh this will be my primary vehicle

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  14. Mar 15, 2014 at 11:54 AM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    truck is paid off

15. Mar 15, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    solus

solus [OP] HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    well I'm trying to go down to 1 vehicle, I'm moving to SD at the end of the year so housing and space will be an issue.

16. Mar 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM
    Fabulous

Fabulous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fabian
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma double-cab TRD Sport
    TRD Pro grill and fog lights, Toytec Boss lift, 265/70-17 Duratracs on 17 x 8.5 FN Verge wheels, LEER canopy, 30% tinted front windows.
    Peep out the new 2015 WRX. I checked them out at the car show up here today. Nice car with good performance and much better gas mileage than the STI or Tacoma. Start at similar price as the BRZ.

Products Discussed in

To Top