Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Average mpg readout

Old 09-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Average mpg readout

Do you think that those electronic avg mpg fuel readouts are accurate?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on what it is you're using. If you properly calibrate something like an Ultragauge, then yes, it will be accurate.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
On my ecoboost it was fairly accurate, I'd say within 3%, when I had a silverado.. fuck no, I could granny it a whole tank, it would claim 30+ mpg but realistically it was around 14.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Depends on what it is you're using. If you properly calibrate something like an Ultragauge, then yes, it will be accurate.
I'm using what came with the wifes civic. I guess I will have to compare that thing with what I actually come up with on pen and paper.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
Geezer
azreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shedazreb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: ET on minesweepers
azreb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeesnob View Post
I'm using what came with the wifes civic. I guess I will have to compare that thing with what I actually come up with on pen and paper.
Let us know what you find out. On other forums I have seen guys brag about what their readouts say, but never how they compare with real life calculations.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
cstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant futurecstallings has a brilliant future

cstallings's Tacoma Gallery
My wife's 4runner has a built in one and it is off by a couple mpgs. It still tells you how you are driving, but it is consistently high. I just subtract a couple mpg and it is usually close.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstallings View Post
My wife's 4runner has a built in one and it is off by a couple mpgs. It still tells you how you are driving, but it is consistently high. I just subtract a couple mpg and it is usually close.
I did notice one thing when we first got it the mpg was around 36 We got the first 2 oil changes free where we bought it then the MPG's dropped to around 35 / 35.5 We just took it to a local guy who put mobile one in it and it is back up to 36+ I think the dealer screwed us and didn't put in full synthetic even though that is what it is called for in that engine. I'd do it myself but can't fit under it ....was thinking of ramps but I think the drain plug is towards the front.