1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to convince parents a Taco is the right choice

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by gatormatt155, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Oct 3, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    gatormatt155

gatormatt155 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City
    Hey TW I've been lurking around here for awhile and finally decided to make an account and ask my question.
    I'm turning 17 here soon and I want a taco. I have some of the money but the rest will come from my parents who have agreed to buy a car. I've proposed the idea of a taco multiple times and they seem to ignore it. How can I convince them a taco is a perfect first car?
    Thanks in advance,
    Matt

2. Oct 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    ST3VE

ST3VE IG: @fishsohard

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MD --> SC
    Tint, car seat, baby wipes
    Honestly you should make them give you a reason it's a bad idea.

3. Oct 3, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Exactly..you have to understand why they ignore the idea to be able to show them that it's a good idea.

4. Oct 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    x3.

one good thing is as long as it has been and you take good care of it. do all the scheduled maintenance on time ect then it should last a long time as long as you don’t crash it.

5. Oct 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I know you'll disagree with me, but, don't buy a taco for your first car. Most kids destroy their first vehicles (I know you're different). Gets some experience in a piece of crap then you'll appreciate the taco more. As for convincing your parents, show them how safe they are and the resale value that Tacoma's have:D

6. Oct 3, 2013 at 11:42 PM
    hualampeter

hualampeter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Chester, MD
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Fox 3" Lift, Total Chaos UCA, and Wheelers Bumps.
    I had a 2001 Tacoma, it had oil pressure issues. Upgraded to a 2005 v6, loved it and crashed it. I was 18. I say get a used truck. THank god I only ripped off the front end.

7. Oct 4, 2013 at 12:38 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    As cool as they are, you'd be better off with a cheap, economical, zip zap car that gets from point A to B without any issues for your first vehicle. Trucks are great vehicles, but they are far from ideal for daily driving duties, cars are much more suitable for that. And I know how much teenagers drive, I was 16 once too. I honestly wish I would have had a car when I was that age, something that got good mileage and I didn't have to worry about costing me a lot of money, but instead I had a Jeep which was broken down more than it ran.

Reason your parents are hesitating is trucks just aren't as safe of a choice for a teen's first vehicle, they are just way too tipsy. If I was you, I'd get some cheap, reliable beater car and go drive the wheels off it until I couldn't stand it anymore. 90s Toyotas and Hondas can be had for dirt cheap and are tough, reliable and great for new drivers. Insurance will be much cheaper also, because trucks have a higher rollover risk than cars, they typically cost more to insure.

But, the choice is ultimately up to your folks, you can convince them all you want but they will make the final decision.

8. Oct 4, 2013 at 12:43 AM
    YotaOverAll

YotaOverAll Backyard Performance

Member:
    First Name:
    Jessie
    Panama City, FL
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5
    3" Toytec spacers, Bilstein 5100s in the back with add a leaf and overloads removed.
    My 02 was given to me at 16 when I got my license. Almost totaled it once(the summer I got my license). She's been very good to me. I try to take care of her as much as she has taken care of me.

9. Oct 4, 2013 at 12:55 AM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    reliability
    safety
    resale value
    tough as shit

However, tough as shit doesn't mean tougher than a teenager. Honestly, despite how much I know you'll hate me for saying it (because I know I did when I heard it) get a reliable old beater for your first car. Something that can take a beating that you can drive for your first few years and continue to save up to buy a car that you earn 100% yourself.
    Two reasons for that:
    1) As a teenage boy, you'll do stupid crap. Hell, I did and I bet 99.9% of the guys on here will say the same thing. Get a car that will limit the stupid stuff you can do... You and your parents will be happy about that (even if it takes a few years to realize)
    2) You take so much more care of your stuff when you buy it yourself and you own it. I love my truck, use it for everything, and I take care of it like know other because I saved up for it.

I drove an old volvo wagon from when I was 16 to 20. Great old car that I called the "Momentum Mobile". Couldn't get in trouble with it. When I was 20, I bought my tacoma with my own cash. Great feeling and I love my truck. I am SO GLAD I had that old volvo for the reasons I have already said. Besides, after a few years of driving, a tacoma might not be the most practical vehicle for yourself.

Tacomas last forever! So in a few years there will still be plenty around for you to pick up!

10. Oct 4, 2013 at 1:55 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I say evaluate your needs with your parents.

Your family might not need a truck. If there's no way to justify having a truck rather than an economical car, there isnt much you can do to make a good argument.
    This might not be what you want to hear, but unless you're doing the majority of the financing,you should look more into "needs" rather than "wants."
    save your money then get what you want later

However, if your family may require use of a hauler, or if theres an offroad need, there's meat on that bone.

11. Oct 4, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    gatormatt155

gatormatt155 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City
    Thanks for all of the replies guys. As Konaborne said, I should evaluate my needs. Since I live in Utah there is a need for 4wd. In the winter the snow can get real bad in an hour or two and my street usually doesn't get plowed which can mean more than a foot and a half of snow. Also, I do a lot of skiing and biking getting to the resorts sometimes can be sketchy. They frequently shut down the roads to 4WD and chain use only.
    So 4wd is definitely a must and I also don't like the idea of driving a little subaru like 90% of everyone else around this town
    Thanks

12. Oct 4, 2013 at 6:32 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Your parents are buying you a car... Either drive whatever they buy you and be happy about it or save up your own money to buy whatever you wish.

13. Oct 4, 2013 at 6:38 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    $$$$

Cuz they probably want ti get you something cheaper.

14. Oct 4, 2013 at 6:44 AM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    This ^^... I bought roughly 5 cars through high school :eek: I drove like an asshole and beat the crap out of them. They were $500-$1500 cars so it wasn't like I had a Taco but I wonder if I would have done the same. Get some beaters then get the Taco.

Better yet,
    get what you want and learn your own lessons.

15. Oct 4, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    Winker

Winker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2019 Subaru WRX
    Respectfully turn down their offer to aid you in purchasing a car. If they help you out, you won't appreciate it as much. Build up your credit or save a $20k-$30k of money to purchase a new Taco, you're going to want to go new because of resale value and the fact that you know no one has abused your sweet baby. You're 17 so insurance is going to be a pain in the butt and you're going to want full coverage. You're probably going to want to buy the truck with cash because insurance is going to be about what a car payment is.

16. Oct 4, 2013 at 7:03 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    reliability/resalve value(if you decide you no longer like it)/safe/low maintanance/its perty/useful/capable offroad/big aftermarket/ easy to fix if something goes wrong/ big support base if something goes wrong and you need help (TW). if you ever get stranded somewhere someone on TW will come rescue you fora fee sometimes for free (ask me how i know)

17. Oct 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    hahah.. but true.

OP. walk down the street for a few miles. that pain in your feet, and the overall tiredness you are feeling? embrace it.

now go to your parents and thank them for being so generous, and tell them ANYTHING they help you get will be greatly appreciated. any car is better than walking.

show them (even if you are pretending like a lying idiot :)) that you are mature and responsible and GRACIOUS. then you might have a crack at that tacoma.

18. Oct 4, 2013 at 4:06 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    ^ this

19. Oct 4, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    MariettaTaco

MariettaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Marietta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Superwhite 4x4 Dblcb
    +1 with what everyone is saying about getting a small beater car. I totaled a few when I was your age (usually I was drunk). But if you still are convinced a Taco is what you want, go for a single cab 4 cylinder and explain to them all of the stuff you can help them do around the house with a truck. Also, please prove all of us wrong and don't total your first car. There has to be someone that can do it.

20. Oct 4, 2013 at 4:18 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I had a Camry for my first car and now I have a Tacoma just get what your parents will buy you and be happy! Hell be glad you are getting a vehicle at all. If you really want one get a regular cab

Products Discussed in

To Top