Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

How to convince parents a Taco is the right choice

Old 10-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
gatormatt155 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
gatormatt155's Tacoma Gallery
How to convince parents a Taco is the right choice

Hey TW I've been lurking around here for awhile and finally decided to make an account and ask my question.
I'm turning 17 here soon and I want a taco. I have some of the money but the rest will come from my parents who have agreed to buy a car. I've proposed the idea of a taco multiple times and they seem to ignore it. How can I convince them a taco is a perfect first car?
Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 10-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
ST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shedST3VE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
ST3VE's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly you should make them give you a reason it's a bad idea.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3VE View Post
Honestly you should make them give you a reason it's a bad idea.
Exactly..you have to understand why they ignore the idea to be able to show them that it's a good idea.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABA180 View Post
Exactly..you have to understand why they ignore the idea to be able to show them that it's a good idea.
x3.

one good thing is as long as it has been and you take good care of it. do all the scheduled maintenance on time ect then it should last a long time as long as you donít crash it.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
Working at the Nauga Ranch (Not for long)
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
I know you'll disagree with me, but, don't buy a taco for your first car. Most kids destroy their first vehicles (I know you're different). Gets some experience in a piece of crap then you'll appreciate the taco more. As for convincing your parents, show them how safe they are and the resale value that Tacoma's have
Old 10-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
hualampeter has a spectacular aura abouthualampeter has a spectacular aura about

Marines:
Name: Peter
hualampeter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
I know you'll disagree with me, but, don't buy a taco for your first car. Most kids destroy their first vehicles (I know you're different). Gets some experience in a piece of crap then you'll appreciate the taco more. As for convincing your parents, show them how safe they are and the resale value that Tacoma's have
I had a 2001 Tacoma, it had oil pressure issues. Upgraded to a 2005 v6, loved it and crashed it. I was 18. I say get a used truck. THank god I only ripped off the front end.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
As cool as they are, you'd be better off with a cheap, economical, zip zap car that gets from point A to B without any issues for your first vehicle. Trucks are great vehicles, but they are far from ideal for daily driving duties, cars are much more suitable for that. And I know how much teenagers drive, I was 16 once too. I honestly wish I would have had a car when I was that age, something that got good mileage and I didn't have to worry about costing me a lot of money, but instead I had a Jeep which was broken down more than it ran.

Reason your parents are hesitating is trucks just aren't as safe of a choice for a teen's first vehicle, they are just way too tipsy. If I was you, I'd get some cheap, reliable beater car and go drive the wheels off it until I couldn't stand it anymore. 90s Toyotas and Hondas can be had for dirt cheap and are tough, reliable and great for new drivers. Insurance will be much cheaper also, because trucks have a higher rollover risk than cars, they typically cost more to insure.

But, the choice is ultimately up to your folks, you can convince them all you want but they will make the final decision.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
F*ck you Brent
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
My 02 was given to me at 16 when I got my license. Almost totaled it once(the summer I got my license). She's been very good to me. I try to take care of her as much as she has taken care of me.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Ask them how else you're supposed to get that highschool pussy.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #10
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
reliability
safety
resale value
tough as shit

However, tough as shit doesn't mean tougher than a teenager. Honestly, despite how much I know you'll hate me for saying it (because I know I did when I heard it) get a reliable old beater for your first car. Something that can take a beating that you can drive for your first few years and continue to save up to buy a car that you earn 100% yourself.
Two reasons for that:
1) As a teenage boy, you'll do stupid crap. Hell, I did and I bet 99.9% of the guys on here will say the same thing. Get a car that will limit the stupid stuff you can do... You and your parents will be happy about that (even if it takes a few years to realize)
2) You take so much more care of your stuff when you buy it yourself and you own it. I love my truck, use it for everything, and I take care of it like know other because I saved up for it.

I drove an old volvo wagon from when I was 16 to 20. Great old car that I called the "Momentum Mobile". Couldn't get in trouble with it. When I was 20, I bought my tacoma with my own cash. Great feeling and I love my truck. I am SO GLAD I had that old volvo for the reasons I have already said. Besides, after a few years of driving, a tacoma might not be the most practical vehicle for yourself.

Tacomas last forever! So in a few years there will still be plenty around for you to pick up!
Old 10-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #11
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
I say evaluate your needs with your parents.

Your family might not need a truck. If there's no way to justify having a truck rather than an economical car, there isnt much you can do to make a good argument.
This might not be what you want to hear, but unless you're doing the majority of the financing,you should look more into "needs" rather than "wants."
save your money then get what you want later

However, if your family may require use of a hauler, or if theres an offroad need, there's meat on that bone.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
gatormatt155 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
gatormatt155's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all of the replies guys. As Konaborne said, I should evaluate my needs. Since I live in Utah there is a need for 4wd. In the winter the snow can get real bad in an hour or two and my street usually doesn't get plowed which can mean more than a foot and a half of snow. Also, I do a lot of skiing and biking getting to the resorts sometimes can be sketchy. They frequently shut down the roads to 4WD and chain use only.
So 4wd is definitely a must and I also don't like the idea of driving a little subaru like 90% of everyone else around this town
Thanks
Old 10-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Your parents are buying you a car... Either drive whatever they buy you and be happy about it or save up your own money to buy whatever you wish.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #14
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
$$$$

Cuz they probably want ti get you something cheaper.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #15
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
This ^^... I bought roughly 5 cars through high school I drove like an asshole and beat the crap out of them. They were $500-$1500 cars so it wasn't like I had a Taco but I wonder if I would have done the same. Get some beaters then get the Taco.

Better yet,
get what you want and learn your own lessons.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #16
Winker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shedWinker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Winker's Tacoma Gallery
Respectfully turn down their offer to aid you in purchasing a car. If they help you out, you won't appreciate it as much. Build up your credit or save a $20k-$30k of money to purchase a new Taco, you're going to want to go new because of resale value and the fact that you know no one has abused your sweet baby. You're 17 so insurance is going to be a pain in the butt and you're going to want full coverage. You're probably going to want to buy the truck with cash because insurance is going to be about what a car payment is.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #17
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
reliability/resalve value(if you decide you no longer like it)/safe/low maintanance/its perty/useful/capable offroad/big aftermarket/ easy to fix if something goes wrong/ big support base if something goes wrong and you need help (TW). if you ever get stranded somewhere someone on TW will come rescue you fora fee sometimes for free (ask me how i know)
Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #18
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
make sure you take a video to share when you do some sweet jumps!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #19
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Your parents are buying you a car... Either drive whatever they buy you and be happy about it or save up your own money to buy whatever you wish.
hahah.. but true.

OP. walk down the street for a few miles. that pain in your feet, and the overall tiredness you are feeling? embrace it.

now go to your parents and thank them for being so generous, and tell them ANYTHING they help you get will be greatly appreciated. any car is better than walking.

show them (even if you are pretending like a lying idiot ) that you are mature and responsible and GRACIOUS. then you might have a crack at that tacoma.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
you guys are crazy! you dont understand! he deserves, no wait, he is entitled to a new tacoma!