Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Women shouldn't be allowed to drive

Old 10-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
uncrx2003 is on a distinguished road
Name: Minh
uncrx2003's Tacoma Gallery

Got a text from my sister today saying that the "Service engine light" was on. I hate that phrase every time I hear it. Not sure what's wrong with it yet. I texted her back to see when it was the last time the oil was changed. Oh "about 10k miles ago". I said "do you check to make sure the oil level is adequate". "Nope". I came over there, turned the car on and started to hear clicking sounds. Check the dip stick, barely any visible oil in there. SMH, I was beyond pissed. Chewed her out for a good 5 minutes. Did a quick oil change and clear the code. I hope the damage is not too bad.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
your sister shouldn't be allowed to drive
It was nice of you to be a good brother & help her out!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Oil level doesn't cause check engine light. Service engine soon could be a neon tenancy reminder or some manufacturers use that as the CEL.

My taco just has a little picture of an engine for the CEL.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #4
Mr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Brown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Active MK 02-09, ME 09-10, Reserve ME 10-11, LTJG 11-Current.  Federal Civilian 10-Current
Mr. Brown's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncrx2003 View Post
Sexist lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Oil level doesn't cause check engine light.
Inadequate oil level can cause a code once the engine starts seeing the negative effects from it.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
unfortunately, regardless of gender...some people are not taught certain preventative maintenance things
Old 10-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
It doesn't matter the gender of the driver! The individual behind the wheel is responsible for how they drive. I have seen terrible drivers from all walks of life and it usually is high school students who are the worse
Old 10-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
It doesn't matter the gender of the driver! The individual behind the wheel is responsible for how they drive. I have seen terrible drivers from all walks of life and it usually is high school students who are the worse
bingo
Old 10-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Oh and OP if you want your sister to stop texting you for CSR troubles you should educate her.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Methinks you failed her as a brother to teach her the basics that are learned when "hanging out with the guys".

Ever since I was little my brother always had me there to show me how to be a tomboy and learn basic things like how to hit a baseball right, how to fight good and hit to disable, general car maintenance, how to fix things around the house including some plumbing, how to build things out of wood, how to use power tools, how to ride a motorcycle, how to handle a knife and how to shoot a gun.

He didn't want me to feel helpless nor have to depend upon others for little things. Things that annoy brothers.

LOL
Old 10-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
your sister shouldn't be allowed to drive
It was nice of you to be a good brother & help her out!

X2
Old 10-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
unfortunately, regardless of gender...some people are not taught certain preventative maintenance things
Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
Truth.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by babytruck View Post
Methinks you failed her as a brother to teach her the basics that are learned when "hanging out with the guys".

Ever since I was little my brother always had me there to show me how to be a tomboy and learn basic things like how to hit a baseball right, how to fight good and hit to disable, general car maintenance, how to fix things around the house including some plumbing, how to build things out of wood, how to use power tools, how to ride a motorcycle, how to handle a knife and how to shoot a gun.

He didn't want me to fell helpless nor have to depend upon others for little things. Things that annoy brothers.

LOL

Yup^

You're the derp, not her
Old 10-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brown View Post

Inadequate oil level can cause a code once the engine starts seeing the negative effects from it.
Absolutely. But not directly, on these trucks.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
The positive thing is she doesn't drive a Taco but a crappy Saturn. I've tried in the past to tell her to let me know when it's time for an oil change. I didn't even think about the oil thing at first but then I realized I've not change the oil in that car in a while. The clicking noise is pretty much gone now. I'm just hoping no severe damage to the engine as the car ('97) only has 50k miles on it. I actually bought her this car for college 5 years ago. And I wouldn't trust her on fixing anything.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #16
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

So why did you buy her a crappy Saturn? And why didn't you change the oil earlier if don't you teach her how to do it herself?

And why don't you trust her? How is she going to learn? If you want her not to "bother" you, teach her to be independent. Don't chastise her for not knowing. I'm sure there was a time when YOU didn't know...
Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
inb4 howd she get the car in the kitchen jokes
Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #18
Quote:
So why did you buy her a crappy Saturn? And why didn't you change the oil earlier if don't you teach her how to do it herself?

And why don't you trust her? How is she going to learn? If you want her not to "bother" you, teach her to be independent. Don't chastise her for not knowing. I'm sure there was a time when YOU didn't know...
First, she would never change or fix anything car related. Some people are and some aren't. Fact. Well the car did get her through college and it was doing fine until this happens. If I have plenty of money sitting around, sure I'd have bought her a nicer car. Even my mom knows better. Every 5k miles she let me know to change her oil. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #19
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

He didn't want me to feel helpless nor have to depend upon others for little things. Things that annoy brothers.

LOL
Agreed.

This title is also incredibly sexist, prejudiced, and generalized.

If you, your father, and apparently your mother all knew this general tidbit of automotive knowledge, I'd say it's all your fault for not teaching her that when she first started driving, or when she got her own car.

It's a societal stigma that women should be helpless and have men do everything for them. I'm going to try and not judge your family, because maybe your sister truly is one of those women who choose to be helpless. In which case, she should at least bring her car in to a mechanic on a regular basis.

That being said, my sister is the same way, but at least she has a boyfriend now to take care of such things.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncrx2003 View Post
First, she would never change or fix anything car related. Some people are and some aren't. Fact. Well the car did get her through college and it was doing fine until this happens. If I have plenty of money sitting around, sure I'd have bought her a nicer car. Even my mom knows better. Every 5k miles she let me know to change her oil. I don't think that's too much to ask.
Her self esteem is going to go down the drain if she depends upon others like this. She's got to learn to take care of herself, because you can't be there all of the time.