Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Tacoma not suited to my needs...what would you suggest instead?

Old 10-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Trying to save the manuals
Smudgey is on a distinguished road

Name: Jack
Smudgey's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma not suited to my needs...what would you suggest instead?

Hey guys,

Let me preface this post by saying that I love my Tacoma. I worked two jobs while in high school for two years to be able to split the cost half/half with my parents and have had the truck since June.

My original purpose for getting the Tacoma, other than replacing the 1999 Suzuki Esteem automatic my parents gave me, was to be able to carry kayaks, bikes, gear, etc. - I generally live a very active lifestyle when not studying and figured it would to be easy to through all my junk in the bed. I also was desperate to leave how to drive stick.

Well, life happened. I'm in college now, and it turns out that you make a lot of friends in college. Who don't have cars - and need rides. My truck seats strictly two in the cab. To add insult to injury, my roommate and longtime friend broke his leg after living here for a month, and with no car or license (or mobility) he is completely reliant on me to take him everywhere. His crutches don't fit in the cab, and if he needs any kind of entourage for a doctor's appointment, we're screwed. He is going to

I am looking at cars that I could obtain for roughly the trade in value of the truck, maybe just slightly more. It must be a manual, preferably a 5-door hatchback or wagon.

Two such cars I saw listed were a 2011 Mazda2 Touring 5spd for $9999 (been watching the price drop from over $12k a month ago, it has 30k miles but was in a mild accident) and a 2008 VW Jetta Sportwagen 2.5L 5spd with 50k miles for $10500.

Any make/model suggestions, or where to look for a vehicle, would be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say make it work. Why is it your responsibility to give everyone a ride?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

Smudgey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Well, if I'm not providing the ride, we're not going anywhere, or I'm going by myself. I have two roommates, neither of which have vehicles, so now that one has broken his leg we cannot drive anywhere together all at once (not that either of them was very comfortable with me shifting between their legs in the first place...)

I have tried carrying people in the bed, yes it is legal in Florida, but A) it is unsafe, B) uncomfortable and C) not exactly a practical solution for long distances.

I could have made an access cab work (force people to use the flip down seats) but I doubt I can afford one in the condition of my truck (it only has 33k miles)
Old 10-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
TacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud ofTacoBurrito07 has much to be proud of

Name: Jake
TacoBurrito07's Tacoma Gallery
FWIW I would get an older double cab tacoma.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Are your friends and room mates gonna help pay the monthly note and car insurance?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBurrito07 View Post
FWIW I would get an older double cab tacoma.
This
Old 10-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Are your friends and room mates gonna help pay the monthly note and car insurance?
I agree with Brodie and Tony has a great point.
Look many of my friends do not have cars. I have my single cab and I give rides to them sometimes when they need it. However I would not sell my truck to fit their needs nor would they want me to. Most of them have bikes and ride to the bars or whatever to meet me up.
If you really are intent on selling your Tacoma do it on your behalf , not because you want to be cool and give all your buddies a ride. If you have to end up going out alone sometimes then that is how it is going to be.
Just my 2cents.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
double cab....
Old 10-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #9

Smudgey's Tacoma Gallery
Don't double cab Tacomas get around 16 MPG? One of the reasons I was able to justify my truck was the consistent 25 MPG I get. They pay me every time I fill up.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Kelvin is on a distinguished road

Kelvin's Tacoma Gallery
I assume freshmen 15 would hit your friends hard and fast. They sound lazy. Don't put it on yourself to drive everyone around just because they say so. Unless you like being used.

Btw, fixed your title for you.

"Tacoma not suited to my friends needs...what would you suggest instead?"
Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #11
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudgey View Post
Don't double cab Tacomas get around 16 MPG? One of the reasons I was able to justify my truck was the consistent 25 MPG I get. They pay me every time I fill up.
My truck gets 16-20 mpg. Note it has a 4" lift with 33s and is an auto. Depends how I drive it. 6 speeds don't do as well. I've had both, I would know. My last 6 speed got 14 mpg max and it was a bone stock access cab. Get an automatic double cab and you'll be fine. Especially if you leave it stock, you should get 20-23 mpg plus you have a V6 with way more space.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, if I'm not providing the ride, we're not going anywhere, or I'm going by myself. I have two roommates, neither of which have vehicles, so now that one has broken his leg we cannot drive anywhere together all at once (not that either of them was very comfortable with me shifting between their legs in the first place...)

I have tried carrying people in the bed, yes it is legal in Florida, but A) it is unsafe, B) uncomfortable and C) not exactly a practical solution for long distances.

I could have made an access cab work (force people to use the flip down seats) but I doubt I can afford one in the condition of my truck (it only has 33k miles)
Buy some super cheap sports seats and do removable bolt in plates in the bed...
Old 10-31-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
It seems pretty stupid to get a new car just because someone you're living with for 2 years, maybe, would be more comfortable. I get you're trying to be nice, but you're sacrificing what makes you happy just to make someone (who you're already helping out A TON) more comfortable. You're going to regret it.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
uncoordinated dirtbox
Brandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon9402 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
Brandon9402's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
Buy some super cheap sports seats and do removable bolt in plates in the bed...
^this!

apparently they come with a cougar!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
I'm with the other cats on here bro.

You were able to make it work. I mean college, no car/truck and some with no drivers license? What gives man? What have these peeps been doing?

Don't enable. Help them stop being slackers and just say no!

ON EDIT:

If you must, as a college kid on a budget, I'd be looking for a used Civic, Accord or similar Toyota (including a DC Taco).
Old 10-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
I was in a similar situation when I was 17. My 2 friends who went most everywhere with me did not have licenses yet and I ended up buying a Datsun 280ZX..2 seater. Either one rode in the back, or they could just STFU.

For the crutches, just bungee cord/strap them in the bed. I went through this for several months this year with my father in law when the Alzheimers hit him hard at the end..he couldn't walk safely any longer so had to be wheelchaired everywhere. I would get him in the truck, fold the chair up and strap it down in my bed. This was about 2 times a week if not more that I'd have to bring him somewhere.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
Unless your truck is painted yellow and says "TAXI" on the side and you got a meter in that bad boy, you are doing yourself - and frankly your buddies - a great disservice.

Also, both the cars you're looking at are disasters waiting to happen. If you decide to be mom to every "friend" of yours who didn't bother to get a car, then get a mom car, like an old Camry or even better a minivan.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys,

Let me preface this post by saying that I love my Tacoma. I worked two jobs while in high school for two years to be able to split the cost half/half with my parents and have had the truck since June.

My original purpose for getting the Tacoma, other than replacing the 1999 Suzuki Esteem automatic my parents gave me, was to be able to carry kayaks, bikes, gear, etc. - I generally live a very active lifestyle when not studying and figured it would to be easy to through all my junk in the bed. I also was desperate to leave how to drive stick.

Well, life happened. I'm in college now, and it turns out that you make a lot of friends in college. Who don't have cars - and need rides. My truck seats strictly two in the cab. To add insult to injury, my roommate and longtime friend broke his leg after living here for a month, and with no car or license (or mobility) he is completely reliant on me to take him everywhere. His crutches don't fit in the cab, and if he needs any kind of entourage for a doctor's appointment, we're screwed. He is going to

I am looking at cars that I could obtain for roughly the trade in value of the truck, maybe just slightly more. It must be a manual, preferably a 5-door hatchback or wagon.

Two such cars I saw listed were a 2011 Mazda2 Touring 5spd for $9999 (been watching the price drop from over $12k a month ago, it has 30k miles but was in a mild accident) and a 2008 VW Jetta Sportwagen 2.5L 5spd with 50k miles for $10500.

Any make/model suggestions, or where to look for a vehicle, would be appreciated.
If his crutches don't fit in the cab...what's in your bed? Geez how tall are his crutches?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
It burns when I pee....
ABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shedABA180 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ABA180's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post
If his crutches don't fit in the cab...what's in your bed? Geez how tall are his crutches?
Prior to the Tacoma I had a Chevy Colorado regular cab. I was on crutches for 2 months and made them fit even with people in the truck with me. Worst case I put them behind the seat.