Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Thoughts on VW TDi products?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Question Thoughts on VW TDi products?

Hey all I've been considering buying a used VW Passat TDi or Jetta TDi. Something only a few years old and with < 40,000 miles. I'm leaning towards the Passat because it's MPG is rated higher, larger fuel tank, more interior capacity and I don't have to have fake leather interior. But, I wouldn't rule out a Jetta if the deal was good. From what I've seen, the TDi tends to retain its price fairly well.

I owned a TDi Golf years ago and hated it because of poor reliability. I bought it new but it was a POS. It did get some great MPG, between 48 and 54 mpg when I was really easy on it. I've read in Consumer Report that the VW TDi products for the most part rate average now in reliability (a much needed improvement based on my past TDi).

I commute about 120 miles to and from work and the math doesn't work out to be cash positive or even neutral for that matter. BUT, it would keep some miles off the truck and it would allow me the option of tricking out the truck without breaking the bank on fuel mileage (post mod) and replacing expensive tires frequently. I've got some of you cats on here to blame for causing me to want to heavely mod my truck.

Anyhow, I would appreciate hearing some thoughts from those that either currently own or have had experience with the models discribed above AND from anyone who has thoughts or input on my thinking.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard great and horrible things regarding them. Can't give you any first hand info, but my buddy had a 2002-7ish TDi Jetta and while it was good on gas (50+MPGs) he said it was plagued with problems.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
Coworker just got rid of a tdi, it was a few years old and started nickel and dimeing him then the turbo started to crap out.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
The recent TDI Jetta's have been having fuel pump issues - they eat themselves and send shrapnel through the fuel system. Out of warranty costs run up to $8k.

The TDI Passat appears to have a different fuel system and I haven't done any research on the 2013 Jettas, so those might be OK. The pre common rail engines (before 2007 - I think) seem to be better.

Personally I think I'd stay away from VW's though.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the responses men. It reinforces what I guess I already knew but, was hoping was wrong. I'm really digging the MPG they get but, can't bring myself to buy something I know is going to piss me off. I'll search elsewhere.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
My local Toyota dealer sells VW, also. I walked by the service dept guy as he was telling a very well dressed man that "we were in uncharted territory" as they stood in front of ...I think it was a Routan or something. Better him than me.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
I really like TDIs. Unfortunately the only awd tdi is $50k Toureg. Way out of my price range.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Toyoman65
Toyoman65 is on a distinguished road

Army: Mp
Name: Anthony
Toyoman65's Tacoma Gallery
I know this won't be a popular answer but with all the issues with VWs you you might be better off with a corolla or a Prius for reliability and mpgs .
Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #9

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyoman65 View Post
I know this won't be a popular answer but with all the issues with VWs you you might be better off with a corolla or a Prius for reliability and mpgs .
I think you're correct. I may end up with (don't shoot me because I'm NOT ditching the Tacoma) a Honda Civic.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
My Mother-in-law has a Civic. Totally boring car but nice dash.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #11
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
We have had two vw. Both passat 2003 wagon an d 2008 sedan. Not tdi but real good cars. For best reliability it seems the vehicles made in Germany ( vin begins with wvw) are far better than those made in Mexico. It might rule out most jetas but passat and golf mostly are made in Germany.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #12

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
My Mother-in-law has a Civic. Totally boring car but nice dash.

A 4 year old with a M.I.L. unit and you don't live in Mississippi?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #13

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdpowell View Post
For best reliability it seems the vehicles made in Germany ( vin begins with wvw) are far better than those made in Mexico. It might rule out most jetas but passat and golf mostly are made in Germany.
Thanks Bill!
Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
bubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'll throw a Hyundai Sonata into the mix - I think they are rated near 40 mpg and with a 100k warranty you'll be covered for a while.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
FreakShow333
Nutzo333 is on a distinguished road

Name: Cory
Nutzo333's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Nutzo333
Id lean on the Passat too. And if you can, get something no older then 09, so you get the more refined 2.0 TDI. I have a few friends who own them, and absolutely love them. Mileage and everything else has been stated. Only upside to the Jetta over the Passat is the Jetta does handle a little nicer lol. But something tells me your not quite looking for a race car. In either case, if you do a lite tune to them, you can get a few extra mpg out of it. Also, straight pipe it from the turbo back, lets hear that whistle!
Old 11-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #16
ncooper is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
Name: Nick
ncooper's Tacoma Gallery
My brother has a 03' TDI Jetta, he bought it used with 30K and is now around 195K. The powertrain has never had any issues but I can't say the same for the rest of the car. He routinely gets around 42MPG.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #17

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Right on guys & again thanks for the help.

You're right I'm not looking for a race car. Did the tuned Civic Si on weekend track outings for a while and had a blast but, I'm looking for a relaxed hyper MPGer.

I owned a 2001 TDi and found the same thing. Power train was fine but the rest of the car literally feel apart around me. Here's the bad part, I bought it new and got rid of it after 17,000 miles & 5 months. It never stranded me but didn't trust it as a DD doing a round trip 120+ mile commute daily.

I'm not sure about Sonata. I'm sure it's change and it does have the 10 yr / 100 k but, I still kind of have that Korean car stigma stuck in my head.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
I'm not sure about Sonata. I'm sure it's change and it does have the 10 yr / 100 k but, I still kind of have that Korean car stigma stuck in my head.
I understand - 10 years ago I said the same thing.... Do the research and see if you changer your mind.

The Civic and Corolla are consistantly good cars - keep the options list short and limit your problem opportunities. I bought a 99 Civic that my mom is now driving, and I'll probably get back in a couple years when her and my dad cut down to one car. It's going to become my / my wife's DD and will us keep the miles down on our current cars.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #19
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
Have you considered a Honda Fit? My wife's '08 consistently gets 38-40 mpg mixed driving. It has 100,000 miles now, never had to do anything other than routine maintenance. Its a fun little car to drive too, doesnt feel slow and handles great. Plus it has a ton of room inside.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #20
ATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to beholdATHiker is a splendid one to behold
Navy:
Name: Tom
ATHiker's Tacoma Gallery
My daughter has a Jetta TDI Sport Wagon and loves it. No issues.