Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Stranded on road because of factory jack; what do you do?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Lift from better points.
This.

Could use the axle or a lower control arm.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
2x4's always in truck....... As well as alternate lift points.

Shit I need at least one 2x4 to lift from the frame in the garage with a floor jack even..... Maybe its 2 I need.... Its been awhile.

Don't have a high lift yet...... Wish I did just in case.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #23
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreidTaco View Post
This is what i had to do....

that looks sketchy as hell
Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #24
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
call roadside assistance
Old 11-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt596 View Post
that looks sketchy as hell
If it was just to change a tire I'd go with it.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #26
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
I keep 4 6" two by fours in my truck bed. I also have a hi lift with a slider adapter and a plate bumper with lift points.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #27
ScTuna is on a distinguished road

ScTuna's Tacoma Gallery
Whatever you do don't place yourself between the truck and ground.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #28
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Call my husband or AAA.

The bottle jacks suck. I had a glitch with mine the first time I needed to use it with a flat tire. Luckily, I wasn't far from home. It 'hung up' at a certain point and wouldn't lift any higher - and it wasn't high enough.

Since then, I've used it at home to TEST it.....and its finally working. However - I still wouldn't trust it no matter what blocks of wood or tools to carry with me.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #29
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Don't skip leg day bro! i just leg press the truck. these things are relatively light.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #30
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
I carry one of these.

This family was moving and had a flat. The tire was off the rim and there wasn't much room underneath for their factory jack. They weren't the most mechanically inclined group either. They were trying to jack up the back end with the uhaul trailer still attached and the back of the heep loaded with crap.

http://vimeo.com/50927016
Old 11-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #31
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
it's funny when you still have to pump it up with your truck because the junked out jeep has too many exhaust leaks to do it itself
Old 11-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #32
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
I carry one of these.

This family was moving and had a flat. The tire was off the rim and there wasn't much room underneath for their factory jack. They weren't the most mechanically inclined group either. They were trying to jack up the back end with the uhaul trailer still attached and the back of the heep loaded with crap.

http://vimeo.com/50927016
so you use the exhaust to air it up? if so thats pretty sweet and looks like it saves more room than a hi-lift!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #33
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
it's funny when you still have to pump it up with your truck because the junked out jeep has too many exhaust leaks to do it itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
so you use the exhaust to air it up? if so thats pretty sweet and looks like it saves more room than a hi-lift!
Yup, the exhaust does all the work. There is a one way valve in the hose that keeps the air in the bag. To deflate you just twist the connector on the bag and it comes down slow.

I tried to use the jeeps exhaust, but the angle cut on the tip kept me from getting a good seal.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Call my husband or AAA.

The bottle jacks suck. I had a glitch with mine the first time I needed to use it with a flat tire. Luckily, I wasn't far from home. It 'hung up' at a certain point and wouldn't lift any higher - and it wasn't high enough.

Since then, I've used it at home to TEST it.....and its finally working. However - I still wouldn't trust it no matter what blocks of wood or tools to carry with me.
Imagine that...
Old 11-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #35
'merica
FreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFreidTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: null
FreidTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
If it was just to change a tire I'd go with it.
pulled the tire off to find out what was screaming.... Turns out it was just a rock stuck between the rotor and the sheet metal guard behind it.

I couldnt get under the LCA due to LCA angle and tire width.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #36
Wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
b0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shed

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
Nathan, I love the safety flip-flops. Been there, done that! I had to take a double-take to make sure it wasn't me in the video...
Old 11-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #37
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Aluminum racing jack in the bed.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #38
poison is on a distinguished road
Name: Keith
poison's Tacoma Gallery
I carry this:

Old 11-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #39
jediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to beholdjediwebdude is a splendid one to behold

jediwebdude's Tacoma Gallery
The Hi-Lift on my 4R is a pain to use. For my son's Taco, I've decided to look at what's avail with regard to a better bottle jack and accessories. Found a higher quality bottle jack at Wally World. Found accessories, such as a base, extenders, and support tops at BMI Hydraulics Safe Jack.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #40
4bangeronabudget is on a distinguished road
Army:
4bangeronabudget's Tacoma Gallery
Hi lift, good for many things