Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

USAA a scam of a insurance company?

Old 11-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #41
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenobe View Post
It's crappy the first guy gave you conflicting info. I would make a formal complaint about his lack of knowledge. He needs more training or to be fired.
We still do not know for sure the person he talked to gave him the wrong information. The information I had learned years back shows that the USAA rep gave him the CORRECT information, based on USAA's terms for collision versus comprehensive. First that information should be figured out BEFORE a complaint is filed against an employee. Even if found innocent, a complaint will stay on an employees files. I think before filing a complaint the OP should first make sure the information was incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
I'm not 100% sure about this but I think collision and comprehensive is always bundled together here in GA. One price for both and one set deductable for both coverages.

And as far as how each type is defined, that does sound purely arbitrary to me. How is a shopping cart a "ground vehicle" but a flying rock is not an "air vehicle"?
It's all based on the lawyers. Gets confusing.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #42
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
^This. We have had USAA for years and never had any problems, even for minor things.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #43
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't complain about the inspector. I'm not interested in making peoples lives harder than they already are.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #44
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
Insurance for big things...

X2 on the paint stick.

When you have an insurance claim, your rates will go up to cover the cost of the claim in the future.

As a result, I'd never submit a claim for $650, I would put it on a credit card first. I'd rather have a lower cost insurance for years in case I get hit by something big and uninsured.

I know someone whose Lexus was just totaled when she was rear-ended by a Tacoma - who was actually rear-ended by a T100 going too fast. Insurance is to pay for the three vehicles that are damaged and get you a new one if you're involved in something big like that.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #45
andrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shedandrew8404 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: 2 Battalion 4th Marines
Name: ANDREW
andrew8404's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry, yeah your being too picky and it's worth paying to fix by insurance or yourself.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #46
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDBSoCal View Post
X2 on the paint stick.

When you have an insurance claim, your rates will go up to cover the cost of the claim in the future.

As a result, I'd never submit a claim for $650, I would put it on a credit card first. I'd rather have a lower cost insurance for years in case I get hit by something big and uninsured.

I know someone whose Lexus was just totaled when she was rear-ended by a Tacoma - who was actually rear-ended by a T100 going too fast. Insurance is to pay for the three vehicles that are damaged and get you a new one if you're involved in something big like that.
Not always the best advice. You have insurance so use it.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #47
Zoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Zoot's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 2 great experiences with USAA. When I got in my motorcycle accident (not at fault) and wound up in a wheel chair, the adjuster came to my house with check in hand for 'value' of my bike. It was a left over 2007 that I bought brand new in 2010. When I explained this he tore up the check, took the 'value' of a 2010 and offered 500$ short of what I had paid. They also waived my 1000$ deductible since the other party claimed fault at the scene. After he added in all my gear being damaged, (EMTs cut my boots and jacket off) I came up a couple hundred short of everything I'd owned.

Second experience: two years later, my BMW was parked in front of my house and a woman in a rental car side swiped it end to end. It messed up the BBS rims, dents, paint etc. 'totaling it'. Adjuster came the next day, gave me a check for the exact amount I paid for it and told me the wrecker would be there to pick it up the day after.

Premiums have stayed the same and actually went down two months ago when I grouped renters insurance. Normally 10$ a month but with multi-car discount/multi-policy discount I save 15$ so it's actually free.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #48
Zoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shedZoot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Zoot's Tacoma Gallery
Got side tracked story telling, OP I wouldn't even claim that, do the touch up paint option and save some $.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #49
nocaltaco has a brilliant futurenocaltaco has a brilliant futurenocaltaco has a brilliant futurenocaltaco has a brilliant futurenocaltaco has a brilliant futurenocaltaco has a brilliant futurenocaltaco has a brilliant futurenocaltaco has a brilliant futurenocaltaco has a brilliant futurenocaltaco has a brilliant futurenocaltaco has a brilliant future

Name: DTM
nocaltaco's Tacoma Gallery
Rule of thumb: damage other than collision with another car is comp.
BUT if you have a named peril policy, whereby, in this case, USAA, explicitly names the exact types of comp, I.e. Fire, theft, animal, malicious mischief, etc.....well then the insurance company can deny the comp claim because the shopping cart isn't a named peril. Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.
3 words: SMALL CLAIMS COURT
In my experience, just the threat of SCC and they'll back off.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #50
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocaltaco View Post
Rule of thumb: damage other than collision with another car is comp.
BUT if you have a named peril policy, whereby, in this case, USAA, explicitly names the exact types of comp, I.e. Fire, theft, animal, malicious mischief, etc.....well then the insurance company can deny the comp claim because the shopping cart isn't a named peril. Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.
3 words: SMALL CLAIMS COURT
In my experience, just the threat of SCC and they'll back off.
You are suggesting that the OP take USAA to small claims court? Good luck there. All their lawyers have to do is show that in their rules and policies that a shopping cart dent/ding is classified as comprehensive. Case over. USAA didn't deny paying the claim, they said that the damage was less than the deductible, therefore they are not liable.

If anyone is suggesting SCC, then it should be against the store that the damage was made.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #51
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
You are suggesting that the OP take USAA to small claims court? Good luck there. All their lawyers have to do is show that in their rules and policies that a shopping cart dent/ding is classified as comprehensive. Case over. USAA didn't deny paying the claim, they said that the damage was less than the deductible, therefore they are not liable.

If anyone is suggesting SCC, then it should be against the store that the damage was made.
I wish that they would classify it as comprehensive. Shopping Cart are considered a collision with USAA. Which is what pisses me off about it.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #52
Bustotaco will become famous soon enoughBustotaco will become famous soon enough
Bustotaco's Tacoma Gallery
It's clear that nobody here has an insurance producer license. And you do not need a license to be a claims adjuster. Your insurance is what it was at the time of the loss. It cannot be modified by inaccurate statements and if it was caused by a shopping cart buggy, it is subject to your collision deductible. Since your car was unoccupied it will be undoubtedly considered not at fault. Feel free to call your states department of insurance office. You can also make a futile complaint with them. You cannot take this to small claims court because your policy states that you must use arbitration. If the arbitrator sides with the insurance company (which they will), you will pay the cost of the arbitrator. As for the post that suggests blaming the adjuster, and "taking them to small claims court", really, are you serious! Even thinking about trying to blame the adjuster who was just trying to help and accidentally misspoke is a really crappy thing to do. The claims adjuster didn't choose your deductible, you did and you alone will have to own that. What you need is a licensed agent to explain all of this to you because they are licensed to do so.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #53
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
I wish that they would classify it as comprehensive. Shopping Cart are considered a collision with USAA. Which is what pisses me off about it.
My bad, I tend to get those two words mixed up. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustotaco View Post
It's clear that nobody here has an insurance producer license. And you do not need a license to be a claims adjuster. Your insurance is what it was at the time of the loss. It cannot be modified by inaccurate statements and if it was caused by a shopping cart buggy, it is subject to your collision deductible. Since your car was unoccupied it will be undoubtedly considered not at fault. Feel free to call your states department of insurance office. You can also make a futile complaint with them. You cannot take this to small claims court because your policy states that you must use arbitration. If the arbitrator sides with the insurance company (which they will), you will pay the cost of the arbitrator. As for the post that suggests blaming the adjuster, and "taking them to small claims court", really, are you serious! Even thinking about trying to blame the adjuster who was just trying to help and accidentally misspoke is a really crappy thing to do. The claims adjuster didn't choose your deductible, you did and you alone will have to own that. What you need is a licensed agent to explain all of this to you because they are licensed to do so.
As mentioned, you are assuming that ALL insurance companies classify shopping cart damage the same way, but they don't, as has been shown by different people here.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #54
Bustotaco will become famous soon enoughBustotaco will become famous soon enough
Bustotaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
My bad, I tend to get those two words mixed up. lol.

As mentioned, you are assuming that ALL insurance companies classify shopping cart damage the same way, but they don't, as has been shown by different people here.
Which person here has had a claim treated differently? If you are talking vandalism, then maybe. Would be hard to prove. The only way to be comp is if the wind picked up the buggy and turned it into a missile. Not one person can show that a buggy crash into a car is a comprehensive claim. Trust me all insurance companies treat it the same way. An insurance company would be out of there mind to be different.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #55
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Never had a problem with USAA.. in fact they gave me more than I paid for my car because that's what it was worth to them.. I can barely see any damage and if you have a $1000 deductible is it worth making that claim? It only raisea your rates
Old 11-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #56
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustotaco View Post
Which person here has had a claim treated differently? If you are talking vandalism, then maybe. Would be hard to prove. The only way to be comp is if the wind picked up the buggy and turned it into a missile. Not one person can show that a buggy crash into a car is a comprehensive claim. Trust me all insurance companies treat it the same way. An insurance company would be out of there mind to be different.
Have you read the entire thread? The OP himself said that the USAA adjuster had originally told him that it was comprehensive, until he was contacted later and told it was different. Then we have these two comments that suggest it should have been Comprehensive:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoTaco View Post
Is there some sort of escalation process. Sure sounds like a comprehensive and not collision. There was no other vehicles involved and you were not driving at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
I have collision and comprehensive. I expected this would be a comprehensive claim.

Your sig pics are always awesome
Again, I am saying that some people agree that it maybe should have been comprehensive considering the circumstances. I'm not going to poll every insurance company out there and ask them their classification of shopping cart damage. Maybe they all DO say it is considered collision, if done by accident, but comprehensive if done maliciously. As for the "trust me", I don't know you well enough to trust you. lol. Perhaps we shall just agree to disagree here.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #57
hellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellsbay is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hellsbay's Tacoma Gallery
I have a suggestion. Go to any new car dealer and ask for the guy that comes around to take care of their scratches on site. They usually come once a week to every dealer. They have all the skills and correct paint to fix your scratches. If they can't handle it, they will tell you. Probably get this done for less than $200.

I have had USAA for over 43 years and never had only one minor problem. I try to take care of minor stuff my self. They have insured most of my homes, car, boats, camera equipment. I recently took out a mortgage with them to help pay for my son's law school debt. From the time I first contacted them to the time we closed, took one month. They even sent someone to our home to do the closing and he was early. Easiest closing I have ever had. They are a superior company for the most part. Of course, no company is perfect.

Stay the course with them and in the long run you will not be disappointed. Their reputation was earned the old fashion way, through good products and good service.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #58
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
No reason to claim that. Insurance premium will go up over small damage like that?? Pay out of pocket.

EDIT:

Sounds like you also need to watch where your parking.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #59
Enders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnders Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Ben
Enders Taco's Tacoma Gallery
You could always go with Geico. My folks had Geico when an old guy from Maryland turned out in front of them while they were on they bike, killed them both. Mom, the passenger, under Virginia law is entitled to the limits of the policies involved, in my case $250,000. It took 2 years, $75,000 in legal fees just to get them to offer 225k.

USAA are saints compared to other companies out there.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #60
TR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTR90125 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
TR90125's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
quick search:

Concept of insurance is to protect yourself from the unexpected large losses. A deductible is a concept that gets the Insured to share responsibility for small and expected damages such as dings and scrapes.

If insurance covered every little thing, then it'd be out-of-the-ass expensive.

Source: I work in claims
Yes. I run max deductibles on everything I insure and try to avoid filing claims for anything other than catastrophic loss.

I should add, I'm a USAA member for 24 years, never once had an issue. My wife got in a 3 car accident not long ago and the process was very smooth.

I operate under the assumption that insurance companies are in business to make money and do my best to avoid giving them a reason to raise my premiums or even cancel me.