1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

USAA a scam of a insurance company?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by TrdSurgie, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie [OP] revised

Member:
    Oahu
    So the other day someone scratched my wifes care with what looks like a shopping cart. I called my insurance (USAA) to makea claim. They sent out the inspector (USAA employee)who said it would be a comprehensive claim and not collision. And most likely was a shopping cart that did it.

USAA gets the report and says its going in as collision and would be out of pocket for me since my deductable is $1000 for collision instead of the $250 for comprehensive. Apparently if someone scratches your car on accident with a shopping cart its a collision but if it's malicious then it would be comprehensive.

WTF. Do I feel cheated by USAA or what! I've been with them for 5 years with my auto and home owners for nearly $2000 a year. The price to fix the paint is about $650. Why have top tier insurance when they still cheat you like the junk companies.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Penscola, FL
    Vehicle:
    (07 Base 4cyl 4x4 - RIP) -> 2018 4Runner SR5 Premuim
    Taco SOS Offroad Concepts hybrid front bumper Iggy Corp. Switch panel Famous Fab ditch lights and cb antenna mount Pioneer Appradio 2 Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake 4Runner Stock
    I have dealt with USAA before and the were great. Help me out the during the whole thing and then asked how the shop they chose did. No problems with them.

3. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie [OP] revised

Member:
    Oahu
    That's why I'm in complete shock. They're suppose to be the best, least likely to jerk one around.

4. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    shit happens? I wouldnt complain about that... I mean I would but not to USAA.... I dont know man sounds like you're being kinda picky? Have you never gotten a door ding?

edit: Is that white spot the damage or just a big ass glare?

5. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    Allstate FTW. never had a problem. sorry to hear that though and goodluck hopefully they change their mind

6. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie [OP] revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Yes shit does happen. Yes that's a lot of glare. The scratchs are the damage. Pickey no, I pay a lot of money for insurance for reasons like this yet it doesn't perform.

7. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    well then I really cant see the damage... not calling you out just like... meh... I have the insurance for major repairs, life threatening issues or for other people... scratches are the name of the game... insurance companies would be out of business if they fixed every little thing on someones car....

sorry you had a bad experience with them.... Ive been with them for about 5 years as well but never a problem... Maybe try again and explain your case to a different rep or go up the chain?

8. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    Paleus

Paleus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TSS 4x4
    That'll buff out.

9. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    fuck that looks like hes paying a good amount and has everything insured through them, i'd raise fucking hell because at this point its no longer about the scratch its more so principle and if i put money into a company i expect something good out of it

10. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    Twinkie0311

Twinkie0311 Mall crawling like a boss

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    OME Lift w/ Dakars, TRD catback exhaust, 275/70/17 with SCS Stealth 6. and much more.
    Yeah that sucks man whenever I had to file a claim it was always spot on. Maybe you ended up getting some newb processing your stuff.

I can feel where you're coming from though. I wouldn't say it's beign picky. 600 is a lot of money man. That's like a retro fit or a trd exhaust.

What are you doing to do?

11. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.
    I'm not going to say your situation does not suck, I have had USAA for nearly 20 years and they have been great for me every time.

Sorry, you are getting screwed.

12. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie [OP] revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Took it up the chain, they said write a letter. In 5 years I have paid nearly 10k in premiums. I've never made a claim until now. Yet for $400 they're will to loose a customer. Yes scratches suck. But when someone takes that paint down to the metal (hard to see due to the color of the car) it needs to be taken care of.

13. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM
    ColoradoTaco

ColoradoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Boulder
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB OFFROAD
    Is there some sort of escalation process. Sure sounds like a comprehensive and not collision. There was no other vehicles involved and you were not driving at the time.

14. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie [OP] revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Yeah I'm completely shhocked by this. USAA is suppose to be the best. As for what I'm going to do is pay out of pocket, and write my letter. If that doesn't pan out the move my money to s new company. Investments included.

15. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    quick search:
    Concept of insurance is to protect yourself from the unexpected large losses. A deductible is a concept that gets the Insured to share responsibility for small and expected damages such as dings and scrapes.

If insurance covered every little thing, then it'd be out-of-the-ass expensive.

Source: I work in claims

jberry813 likes this.
  16. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    yeah man... im sorry if you think about customer loyalty then thats understandable... its not like youre claiming something every year... I wish I knew what to tell you except try again? maybe ask why they changed it?

17. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    This is why I pay extra to have low deductibles. None are over $250.

18. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie [OP] revised

Member:
    Oahu
    I have collision and comprehensive. I expected this would be a comprehensive claim.

Your sig pics are always awesome

19. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    hanmee47

hanmee47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Brandywine Hundred, Wilmington, DE
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access, 4x4, White, Billies all around,
    K&N air intake Redline Struts Black Toneau Off Road Recovery Hook Stubby(6 in.) Antenna Bilstein 5100 OME 884 TSB AAL Slotted Discs & Brakes Black Billet Grill Avid Sliders Avid Rear Bumper FJ Wheels and Terra Grapplers
    Been with them for years. Have three vehicles insured. Wife's Audi, my Taco and son's V40 Volvo.

Had three claims on the Volvo for deer strikes, never had an issue. Settled in a timely manner to our full satisfaction.:D

20. Nov 14, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    Thanks!

It gets confusing between comp and collision sometimes, but just think of it this way.

If you car hits anything, such as another car, a pole, a curb, a tree, a house, a shopping cart, whether or not you are driving or not, or if your fault or not, it is considered collision because you collided with it, the exception being animals such as deer, moose, etc.

Fire, theft, vandalism, flood, etc, occurrences which are not your vehicle colliding, but other perils acting on your vehicle outside the normal exposure of driving or operating a vehicle, is comprehensive.

If you can prove someone used that shopping cart to ram your door open and steal something, then it would be comp.

Products Discussed in

To Top