Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

USAA a scam of a insurance company?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
USAA a scam of a insurance company?

So the other day someone scratched my wifes care with what looks like a shopping cart. I called my insurance (USAA) to makea claim. They sent out the inspector (USAA employee)who said it would be a comprehensive claim and not collision. And most likely was a shopping cart that did it.

USAA gets the report and says its going in as collision and would be out of pocket for me since my deductable is $1000 for collision instead of the $250 for comprehensive. Apparently if someone scratches your car on accident with a shopping cart its a collision but if it's malicious then it would be comprehensive.

WTF. Do I feel cheated by USAA or what! I've been with them for 5 years with my auto and home owners for nearly $2000 a year. The price to fix the paint is about $650. Why have top tier insurance when they still cheat you like the junk companies.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
I have dealt with USAA before and the were great. Help me out the during the whole thing and then asked how the shop they chose did. No problems with them.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders99 View Post
I have dealt with USAA before and the were great. Help me out the during the whole thing and then asked how the shop they chose did. No problems with them.
That's why I'm in complete shock. They're suppose to be the best, least likely to jerk one around.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
So the other day someone scratched my wifes care with what looks like a shopping cart. I called my insurance (USAA) to makea claim. They sent out the inspector (USAA employee)who said it would be a comprehensive claim and not collision. And most likely was a shopping cart that did it.

USAA gets the report and says its going in as collision and would be out of pocket for me since my deductable is $1000 for collision instead of the $250 for comprehensive. Apparently if someone scratches your car on accident with a shopping cart its a collision but if it's malicious then it would be comprehensive.

WTF. Do I feel cheated by USAA or what! I've been with them for 5 years with my auto and home owners for nearly $2000 a year. The price to fix the paint is about $650. Why have top teir insurance when they still cheat you like the junk companies.

shit happens? I wouldnt complain about that... I mean I would but not to USAA.... I dont know man sounds like you're being kinda picky? Have you never gotten a door ding?

edit: Is that white spot the damage or just a big ass glare?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Allstate FTW. never had a problem. sorry to hear that though and goodluck hopefully they change their mind
Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
revised
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDuran View Post
shit happens? I wouldnt complain about that... I mean I would but not to USAA.... I dont know man sounds like you're being kinda picky? Have you never gotten a door ding?

edit: Is that white spot the damage or just a big ass glare?
Yes shit does happen. Yes that's a lot of glare. The scratchs are the damage. Pickey no, I pay a lot of money for insurance for reasons like this yet it doesn't perform.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes shit does happen. Yes that's a lot of glare. The scratchs are the damage. Pickey no, I pay a lot of money for insurance for reasons like this yet it doesn't perform.
well then I really cant see the damage... not calling you out just like... meh... I have the insurance for major repairs, life threatening issues or for other people... scratches are the name of the game... insurance companies would be out of business if they fixed every little thing on someones car....

sorry you had a bad experience with them.... Ive been with them for about 5 years as well but never a problem... Maybe try again and explain your case to a different rep or go up the chain?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That'll buff out.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #9
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well then I really cant see the damage... not calling you out just like... meh... I have the insurance for major repairs, life threatening issues or for other people... scratches are the name of the game... insurance companies would be out of business if they fixed every little thing on someones car....

sorry you had a bad experience with them.... Ive been with them for about 5 years as well but never a problem... Maybe try again and explain your case to a different rep or go up the chain?
fuck that looks like hes paying a good amount and has everything insured through them, i'd raise fucking hell because at this point its no longer about the scratch its more so principle and if i put money into a company i expect something good out of it
Old 11-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Mall crawling like a boss
Twinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwinkie0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Infantry 3/3 I. CO.
Name: Chris
Twinkie0311's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down ODD......

Yeah that sucks man whenever I had to file a claim it was always spot on. Maybe you ended up getting some newb processing your stuff.

I can feel where you're coming from though. I wouldn't say it's beign picky. 600 is a lot of money man. That's like a retro fit or a trd exhaust.

What are you doing to do?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not going to say your situation does not suck, I have had USAA for nearly 20 years and they have been great for me every time.

Sorry, you are getting screwed.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
revised
Quote:

Took it up the chain, they said write a letter. In 5 years I have paid nearly 10k in premiums. I've never made a claim until now. Yet for $400 they're will to loose a customer. Yes scratches suck. But when someone takes that paint down to the metal (hard to see due to the color of the car) it needs to be taken care of.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #13
ColoradoTaco is a jewel in the roughColoradoTaco is a jewel in the roughColoradoTaco is a jewel in the roughColoradoTaco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ryan
ColoradoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Is there some sort of escalation process. Sure sounds like a comprehensive and not collision. There was no other vehicles involved and you were not driving at the time.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
revised
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie0311 View Post
Yeah that sucks man whenever I had to file a claim it was always spot on. Maybe you ended up getting some newb processing your stuff.

I can feel where you're coming from though. I wouldn't say it's beign picky. 600 is a lot of money man. That's like a retro fit or a trd exhaust.

What are you doing to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
I'm not going to say your situation does not suck, I have had USAA for nearly 20 years and they have been great for me every time.

Sorry, you are getting screwed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
fuck that looks like hes paying a good amount and has everything insured through them, i'd raise fucking hell because at this point its no longer about the scratch its more so principle and if i put money into a company i expect something good out of it
Yeah I'm completely shhocked by this. USAA is suppose to be the best. As for what I'm going to do is pay out of pocket, and write my letter. If that doesn't pan out the move my money to s new company. Investments included.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
quick search:
Quote:
Comprehensive and Collision coverages pay to repair or replace your auto if it is stolen or damaged in an accident, regardless of who is at fault. For each coverage, you select a deductible that you pay out of pocket. Your insurance company pays for the remaining damage up to the limits you select.
With Collision coverage, your insurance company pays for damage to your auto when you collide with another vehicle or object. If you hit a car, a pole or another nonliving object, Collision coverage will apply.
With Comprehensive coverage, your insurance company pays for damage to your auto caused by an event other than a collision, such as fire, theft or vandalism. If you hit an animal, or if your auto is flooded or stolen, Comprehensive coverage will apply.
Concept of insurance is to protect yourself from the unexpected large losses. A deductible is a concept that gets the Insured to share responsibility for small and expected damages such as dings and scrapes.

If insurance covered every little thing, then it'd be out-of-the-ass expensive.

Source: I work in claims
Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #16
Stormtrooper

KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Took it up the chain, they said write a letter. In 5 years I have paid nearly 10k in premiums. I've never made a claim until now. Yet for $400 they're will to loose a customer. Yes scratches suck. But when someone takes that paint down to the metal (hard to see due to the color of the car) it needs to be taken care of.
yeah man... im sorry if you think about customer loyalty then thats understandable... its not like youre claiming something every year... I wish I knew what to tell you except try again? maybe ask why they changed it?
Old 11-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #18
revised
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
quick search:

Concept of insurance is to protect yourself from the unexpected large losses. A deductible is a concept that gets the Insured to share responsibility for small and expected damages such as dings and scrapes.

If insurance covered every little thing, then i'd be out-of-the-ass expensive.

Source: I work in claims
I have collision and comprehensive. I expected this would be a comprehensive claim.

Your sig pics are always awesome
Old 11-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
hanmee47 is on a distinguished road

Army: CH-47 Flight Crew
Name: Tom
hanmee47's Tacoma Gallery
USAA

Been with them for years. Have three vehicles insured. Wife's Audi, my Taco and son's V40 Volvo.

Had three claims on the Volvo for deer strikes, never had an issue. Settled in a timely manner to our full satisfaction.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #20
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have collision and comprehensive. I expected this would be a comprehensive claim.

Your sig pics are always awesome
Thanks!

It gets confusing between comp and collision sometimes, but just think of it this way.

If you car hits anything, such as another car, a pole, a curb, a tree, a house, a shopping cart, whether or not you are driving or not, or if your fault or not, it is considered collision because you collided with it, the exception being animals such as deer, moose, etc.

Fire, theft, vandalism, flood, etc, occurrences which are not your vehicle colliding, but other perils acting on your vehicle outside the normal exposure of driving or operating a vehicle, is comprehensive.

If you can prove someone used that shopping cart to ram your door open and steal something, then it would be comp.