Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

2011 Tahoe zerk fittings and grease question

Old 11-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
2011 Tahoe zerk fittings and grease question

I plan on doing the maintenance on my wife's Tahoe myself since a local shop screwed up the lug nuts on her daily driver Prius.

Since my Tacoma does not have zerk fittings and I don't use it, what is the best type of grease to use for this? I have read some Tahoe forums and they say to be careful not to overfill the boot (??) as it may cause it to burst. I always thought that one was supposed to fill it until the old grease started coming out? Is this not how its done anymore?

Also, does anyone have a Tahoe and have a map of the fittings? Thanks in advance!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Are you talking about ball joints? Just pump until you see the boot starts to inflate, then stop. Use NLGI grade 2 lithium- or urea-based synthetic grease (usually green).

A map isn't necessary. There are only a limited number of possible suspension greasing points:

- lower ball joint
- upper ball joint
- outer tie rod end
- sway bar links

It's more important to grease the driveshaft U-joints though. Just look over all the U-joint yokes for zerk fittings and pump grease into them. With U-joints, pump grease in until you see all the old grease expelled from the bearing caps.

Not a Tahoe, but still a GM and similar technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB2RiRKDQ9k
Old 11-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
mrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mrbadwrench's Tacoma Gallery
Also, your Tacoma has zerk fittings - your ujoints are greaseable. So grease your Taco while you have the grease gun!
Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info! My Tacoma doesn't have zerk fittings...