1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hidden Compartment = Felony

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Joe D, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Dec 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Makes me want a hidden compartment..

When we traded my wifes 2012 Jeep grand Cherokee in for her lexus I was cleaning out the car and making sure we hadn't left anything and found a hidden box under the drivers seat. I didn't know it was there and it was pretty hard to see but sure enough I opened in at thought, "Man.. I wish I had known this was here.. I would have put a gun or other survival gear in here for her and my kids to increase the chances they would make it home in an emergency.."

Next up: "Felony to make concealed storage areas in your home."

2. Dec 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    Question to the police officers, can you save or "flag" a tag number if you have a plate scanner in you car?

Then you could just pull this guy over later and maybe find some drugs on him and then arrest him.

Probably not a great law, but as long as your truck aint got the dank stank Im sure your secret compartment will never be discovered. I dont feel sorry for this guy, he'll likely get off anyways, but was obviously smuggling drugs and had it coming.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  3. Dec 9, 2013 at 8:14 PM
    Joe D

Joe D [OP] .

Member:
    Yea, maybe not for the guy in question but, to assume or believe everyone has intent is bullshit IMO. Think about it, "we the people" have made a law to charge you with a FELONY crime because "we the people" think you might be using it to smuggle drugs.

4. Dec 9, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    Yea its BS, but I believe if your a halfway productive member of society, and your car doesn't smell like pot, it will be next to impossible to prove intent.

Also if you have a hiding spot just toss a spare key, $20, condom, etc. so whatever is there is legal and thats your reason for it.

5. Dec 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Prior to making the stop and search, they would have to be able to articulate probable cause to the extent that if they were to go before a judge, he would issue a search warrant.

Simply knowing that he has a hidden compartment would not be sufficient. Knowing that he has a hidden compartment with an arrest record would not be sufficient.
    Couple that knowledge with some kind of suspicious or evasive action on the part of the suspect, and yes... you've got something.

6. Dec 9, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Someone should bring said head to a dart supply store. I am not fibbing when I say I have thousands of those baggies and they hold the small parts used for the game.

7. Dec 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    W Bishop

W Bishop Stupid should be painful!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stone
    South Fulton Tn
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4X4 Reg Cab
    ToyTec coil over kit, Sliver Coils, Bilstein 5100 front & rear, Light Racing SPC UCA. Painted to match Coils, OEM Tacoma 4 leaf pack, Undercover, AFE Pro Dry air filter, Painted grill surround, FJ Cruiser Trail 17" wheels, Rubber bed mat, fog lights and sliders.
    How could this differ from having a safe in your home? You own the home and can protect you valuables but at the same time own your truck/car and cannot do the same in fear that the officer wants to take it to the letter of the law. How could this be any deferent saying that all people that have vehicles are drug transporters.

I don't see this being on the books long.

8. Dec 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    Mar322

Mar322 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 Mag Grey DC SB
    Stock for now
    Further proof that our rights are quickly eroding away. Hopefully the people if this country will wake up before it is to late. Elect officials who believe in the constitution, are fiscally responsible and who legislate based upon what is best for the country, not what will necessarily win them another term.

Btw.... I guess all of the new C7 Corvettes are a one way ticket to prison. When the nav screen is lowered there is an aprox 6X5X5 "secret compartment" directly behind it.

9. Dec 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
  10. Dec 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    2012tacolover

2012tacolover Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    CA/AL
    Vehicle:
    White PreRunner TRD Sport DCSB
    Tinted Windows, Black Nerf Bars, LED Dome & Map Lights, Snugtop Xtra-Vision, WeatherTech Digitalfit front and rear, trimmed Front Mud Flaps, BFG A/T KO's, Matt123 White Skid, Devil Horn Emblem Wet Okole front and rear seat covers! Future Stuff: Lift and new Wheels! :)
    So putting a hide-a-key under the frame of your truck could now be considered a felony because it could hold drugs? This is taking things a bit far, I have owned lots of cars with factory hidden compartments even the sales people didn't know it had!

11. Dec 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    Joe D

Joe D [OP] .

Member:
    The link to the arrest & actual text of the law are in some of the links above.

I still don't agree because illegal drugs or evidence thereof need no be found but, to be fair, the law excludes "hidden" compartments designed and on the vehicle when it's manufactured.

My issue is people being arrested for "intent". How does the government know my intent? I've been reading some news recently about search warrants being issued (in Texas no less) because the belief of intent. Kinda the opposite of the 4th Amendment.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top