1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tools (Where to start, how to get there)

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by LoadedTaco, Dec 27, 2013.

?

How to start a good tool set.

1. Get a tool box.

27.8%
  2. Buy them as you need them.

50.0%
  3. Harbor Freight set is a good starting point.

11.1%
  4. Buy smaller, quality sets and piece them together.

30.6%
  5. I am not sure.

2.8%
  6. Google it and get off TW.

2.8%
  7. Other options

5.6%
  1. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    LoadedTaco

LoadedTaco [OP] Kick A$$ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Okay so I am 24 and have been getting by with the tools my father has around. The more projects I take on myself (almost always on my truck) I find myself frustrated with the lack of tools/organization of my fathers tools. Seriously though it's a lost cause. Plus I would like to have my own tools so I don't have to mess with his all the time.

SO...

I have started making a list of tools that I would like to accumulate over time. I am not sure where to begin. Obviously with every project comes a need for something new. Eventually leading to a "complete" tool box.

What do you think is the best way to get started?

I was looking at a kit from Harbor Freights as a place to start. It seems to have a lot of tools. I like that I could bring it with me if I needed to. [​IMG]

What I have already:
    Impact Wrench
    Air Ratchet
    Good set of Impact Sockets
    Ratchet and basic set of sockets.
    Couple of screwdrivers
    Some box wrenches

More details and pictures to come...I need to get back to work.

Just got this for Christmas.
    dehyqe7u_60c859a828754ee911adca42e34ce95933694019.jpg

UPDATE:

So I have accumulated quite a bit of tools now. I have a pretty full tool box already and I am loving it. I have installed suspensions, changed brakes, spark plugs, etc all with my own tools.

[​IMG]Untitled by pmdesan, on Flickr

[​IMG] by pmdesan, on Flickr

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    :popcorn: im pretty much in the exact same boat as you. lady got me these but im pretty sure im still missing alot of stuff 8e4ymu4y_63d2f15c977dc5396fed73e8f32a685e9a9d07c7.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  3. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Step 1: Reorganize where we keep all our tools.

What I started with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tool box
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I was done:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  4. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    well it works when i post it but then doesn't when i refresh so...for christmas she got me DeWalt drill bits and screwdriving bit sets,Dewalt Impact and Drill Combo Set, and a Craftsman mechanic toolset with case. i know i still need a torque wrench,breaker bar, and other various tools but it be nice to know exactly what is needed or would come in handy for the truck

5. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:31 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    My toolbox is by no means complete...but I started with a basic craftsman mechanic set...added a few screwdrivers and various other things like a good hammer and several sizes and shapes of pliers...then as I need new stuff I just run out and buy what I need for the project at hand

My granddad left me all his tools so now I have a ton morr...added a rolling toolbox last year with some socket organizers etc

6. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Outside of specialty tools though...a good basic metric socket set (I like having all 3 drive sizes) and a couple screw drivers are the biggest things youll need for your truck

7. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    trdNick

trdNick Odie

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Hemi BigHorn
    look into Kobalt at Lowes. Made by Snapon and still have the lifetime warranty. You can catch good deals. I got a 227 piece mechanics set for Christmas that was only 99 bucks (black friday sale). I would tend to stay away from HF tools that you plan on keeping and using for a while. Like my dad says, "Do it right the first time and only cry once" haha.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_-_?productId=3364134

8. Dec 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
  9. Dec 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Leavenworth, WA
    Vehicle:
    1988 Pickup 22R 5sp 2wd
    Weber 32/36, RV Cam, LCE exhaust headers, Desmogged
    for tools with non-moving parts (ie sockets, ratchet extensions), i've found harbor freight to be a fine option. i would never purchase anything power/air there though.

my ratchets, box end wrenches and screwdrivers are all craftsman now. i just like the feel better. solid and better built than the cheap stuff.

you can go crazy and get snap-on, matco, etc., but for the average garage mechanic, craftsman hits a really nice price point in my opinion.

10. Dec 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    As of right now Home Depot ratchets are being made by Gearwrench. They are 72 tooth dual paw and they are nice. Kobalt are pretty nice as well and either of those brands are good tools for the DIY's at home. Garage sales are a good place to get good stuff cheap also as well as pawn shops. As far as storage craftsman or husky boxes, they are all made by Water-loo. Craftsman socket are china now so they are out for me.

11. Dec 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    harbor freight has decent tools for a very cheap price. pretty much all tools your going to find for a decent price are made in china. even craftsman. but just cause they are made in china doesn't mean they don't work. especially for small projects like your truck.. i could see getting quality tools if you work in a shop and use them EVERYDAY. i always use my harbor freight grinder as an example of how much i like them. I've used that grinder for literally over 3 hours straight before(without turning it off). only thing thats happened is the brushes burned out on it once. (came with free replacement brushes..) the only reason they burned out was because i was forcing the grinder wayyyyy to hard. best advice i can give is READ the reviews see what other people say about the product your about to purchase.

EDIT: certain things you might want to consider getting quality tools though.. its all about finding the balance. like a torque wrench you might want a good one so its accurate.. but sockets why the hell would i pay 25-40$ for one set of sockets when you could get it for 10$ at harbor freight.

12. Dec 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I just bought tools a little at a time, usually when I see good sales. I have a lot of cheap tools that I don't care about, then I have quality tools for when I'm not trying to strip heads or want to apply high torque. The better fit and finish of a snap on screwdriver can really be noticed trying to break a screw loose on a 1975 motorcycle engine. You will figure out what you need as you go. Amazon always have great deals on tools so I buy most from there.

13. Dec 27, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Don't be afraid to check out swap meets and flea markets. You can buy name brand tools for pennies on the dollar. Craftsman, Snap-On and such have great exchange policies on hand tools. Get broken ratchets for 50 cents and exchange them for new ones. Craftsman ratchets get rebuilt at the cashiers counter if it is the current model, or exchanges for equivelant if older models. I wish there was a good flea market around where I'm at.
    Also, check out sears for sales. You can sometimes pick up tool boxes at a fair price. Personally I have a Matco two bay with flip top box, but I also have it full from years of scrounging/trading/exchanging broken tools. Specialty tools that you don't/won't use often can be "rented" from parts stores like autozone.
    If you have a craftsman wrench (9/16 does it most for me) that has a stretched open end and doesn't fit quite right, they still exchange without it being actually broken. Had to prove it to some guys I was stationed with.

14. Dec 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    OP, as I was reading your first post I was thinking "he should make a list of the minimum tools he needs" and I see you're doing or have done that so it's s good start.

Tool cost can rise quickly even at relatively decent prices. I'll echo the others sentiments in saying I would want basic socket set including 1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 inch drives with sockets ranging in size from 1/4 to 1 inch (for automotive). Same size range in metric. I would opt for a combination but choose 12 point sockets if i could only choose 6 or 12 point. Have some different length extensions as well. I'd include some combination open & box end wrenches in the same size range (if you can swing it with gear), basic set of screw drivers, one being able to hold apex tips. A set of apex tips for all those bastard and proprietary hardware pieces. A hammer, wire cutters, various pliers including a couple sizes of channel locks, vice grips, needle nose etc. a decent head light & extendable mirror & magnet. And of course a place to store your new toys...I mean tools.

Later you can put in some more pneumatic tools and you'll find all types of upgrades & additional tools you "need".

Are you in school? I know many tool vendors/suppliers offer deep discounts to students enrolled in certain classes....

15. Dec 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    True dat! When i was in school for toyota i had 50% off snap on, ingersoll rand, matco. It was a door opener to getting pro grade tools for half price.

If i were OP, i'd invest in a craftsman set. six point sockets, none of that 12pt socket bullshit. (Probably metric, you can use metric sockets for most american sizes, with some exceptions like 3/8) They're good value for the money, harbor freight is good for tool boxes, engine hoists and shop presses, but i don't much like their hand tools. And the more you use them the more you'll understand why things like ratcheting combo wrenches , swivel head ratchets, or impact drivers exist.

16. Dec 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    Yard sales/garage sales are your uberfriend if you're trying to start a tool collection.
    Not only are they cheaper than buying them new at the store, they're usually older and of higher quality than the crap they make now. My Craftsman socket set cost me $25 at an estate sale, included deep well sockets and 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 sockets, drivers, adaptors, and extensions. Plus it had a bunch of assorted hex bits and screwdrivers thrown in too. They're from the 60's, but they're a LOT more durable than the set I got for in the truck a couple years ago.
    Here's the equivalent of what I got:
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-299-piece-ultimate-easy-read-socket-set/p-00935299000P?prdNo=1

After you get the basics covered, buy the extras as you can afford them.

17. Dec 30, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    LoadedTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Burr Ridge Il
    Vehicle:
    2012 Red Baja
    Thanks for all the input. I am going to try and find a nice tool box on Craigslist and fill it with some quality tools. I have seen some 300 piece craftsman sets that should give me a good place to start.

18. Dec 30, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    Building up a good toolbox has been a decade-long endeavor for me. I look for solid brands and good deals, but sometimes I need something ASAP for the current project so I grab it at full price. A quality roll-away will last you a lifetime, and it's ok if it isn't full... It will be.

I have a lot of Crafstman stuff, primarily because its cheaper than Matco and Snap-On and still has a lifetime warranty. IR air tools. No-name jack and jack stands (plan on upgrading soon). Milwaukee angle grinder to cut and grind, and assortment of wire wheels. I welded up a cart for my 5-drawer, but now I need more storage. It all evolves like your truck. Investing in better quality will always serve you in the end.

19. Jan 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    DannyD

DannyD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCLB
    In industry a good suggestion you hear for apprentices is buy cheap stuff to get you started then replace them with the highest quality piece by piece once stuff breaks. Everybody pretty much ends up with a cheap set and a good set.

For myself I'm sticking with the deals on top names. For example, Klein made in USA screwdrivers are known as the best among electricians(the guys who use them the most). These are pretty expensive and can be over 100$ for a small basic set. Klein also has a journeyman line thats cheaper but the same quality. I picked up a set for 30$ online

Vice grips have apparently gone to shit since irwin took over and switched to made in china. So if you cant get made in USA you look to Europe next. You hear about snap on locking pliers being the tool of choice. Turns out snap on pliers are made by grip-on out of spain. And if you look around online you can find them cheaper without the snap on branding.

20. Jan 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM
    oldblue1968chevy

oldblue1968chevy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spokane WA/Viola TN
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma V6 TRD
    Stock
    A good older pair of vice grips that havent been used for welding clamps are priceless, one of my favorite tools (good ol pair we've got).

Buy used quality when you need it is my advise.

Im spoiled dad and grandpa both are tool whores ive got quite a collection of my own you'll buy and built specialty stuff thru the years as well.

Products Discussed in

To Top