Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Opinions on Subaru Legacy's? My wife just bought one.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Mit122 is on a distinguished road
Mit122's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions on Subaru Legacy's? My wife just bought one.

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering what any previous/current owners of Subaru's in particular Legacy's have thought of them? My wife just bought a 2014 Legacy today and it's our first Subaru vehicle. We've both been Toyota owners for years.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Its a Subaru it should last forever. Also toyota owns 16% of Subaru's parent xomapny so it technically is still in the toyota family
Old 02-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #3
Mit122's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, MGM. Anybody else have inputs such as quirks with Subaru's, ease of maintenance etc...
Old 02-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit122 View Post
Thanks, MGM. Anybody else have inputs such as quirks with Subaru's, ease of maintenance etc...
I haven't owned a Subaru legacy but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to change oil and do all that stuff.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Subaru's are great vehicles. I miss my impreza sometimes. If I were going to own a car again, it would be a Subie. Probably a wrx though
Old 02-19-2014, 12:19 AM   #6
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, and I have a buddy who does the whole rally cross thing, and he races a legacy (older though). Won his division class this season against folks with much faster cars, so it seemed to do ok.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
we have a 2005 forester.

not a bad car. kinda loud as far as road/wind noise.

only thing that really happened to the car. sunroof broke. fixed under warranty.
radiator leaked..i fixed it.
i think that is about it. nothing mechanical.
oh, battery.

i changed out the sparkplugs and it was a motherfucker. very very difficult. take a look..if you have a turbo model especially. the plugs are next to the unibody frame thing.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
My brother has a subie..he loves it this is his second.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #9
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
My Mother bought a 2013 legacy 2.5. Its a good car, rides nice, like all other scoobs it is awesome in the snow. Not super fuel mileage though, to be expected, she drives fast. The only problem is she had to take it to the dealer 3 times in the first 5000 miles because the oil light kept coming on. The first time at 1800 miles. The tech said it was because it has to be filled to the absolute top of the dipstick. So he put half a quart in it and sent her away. Then again at 3000 miles, same tech scratched his head, and flashed the computer. The third time at 4500 miles. They finally changed out the sensor, and it hasnt been back on since. It now has about 9000 on it. I would like to buy one, but a loaded up 3.6R. Just not in the cards right now.
I had an 04 WRX, it was a good car, but too fast. It was going to get me in trouble.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #10
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
I haven't owned a Subaru legacy but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too hard to change oil and do all that stuff.
Oil filter used to be surrounded by catalytic converters. With the latest model, Subaru moved it to a familiar location. Only pain with the boxer engine now is spark plug changes.

@Mit122: A lot of members here own Subaru cars because they are reliable and handle better than Toyotas of the same class (Legacy vs Camry, Impreza vs Matrix, Forester vs Rav4, etc.)
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
seanboy is on a distinguished road

seanboy's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Subaru Impreza 2007 I know a little smaller than the Legacy. When I owned it, I never had any issues. Keep up with the maintenance, not sure about the newer boxer motors, but if you didn't change the coolant some owners experienced head gasket issues. I installed a set of Blizzaks during the winter months, made that car unstoppable.

Im sure you guys will enjoy it!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
keylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
keylay's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2.5i Subaru Forester with auto transmission. It's a 2010 with 35,000 miles. About time for a plug change. Remember, they are AWD, so regular tire rotation is important.

If i remember from Subaru forums, on my Forester, in Drive, it is 90 front/10 rear power out put. It changes to 50/50 in 1st or 2nd unless the car needs more to rear in adverse conditions.

Since you live in NY, you'll absolutely love it.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
I know a guy who is always talking about how awesome his Subaru all-wheel-drive is. I've invited him to pick any offroad trail he'd like and I'll drive it in my Taco with him.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful, he may take you up on the offer and get addicted to wheeling...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-shunning.html
Old 02-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #15
Mit122's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the responses. So far my wife loves the car. I've only driven it a few times and it seems well built and looks easy to maintain i.e. oil filter access. Lots of nice features. Only down side my wife has noted so far is the gas mileage, but it still needs to be broken in, plus the cold weather and crappy winter fuel. She was also used to driving an 07 Corolla that sipped gas better than most of today's hybrids.