1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

$1,200,000,000.00 fine for TM.

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Joe D, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Mar 19, 2014 at 5:20 AM
    Joe D

Joe D [OP] .

Member:
  2. Mar 19, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I still have yet to see where they've found any evidence supporting that there was ANYTHING wrong with the Toyota vehicles that were recalled. Aside from user error with floor mats, did they ever uncover anything?

3. Mar 19, 2014 at 5:47 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    Retarded. I wonder if the other people who crashed ever crashed other vehicles they own. If they did. Then it's just stupidity. Some people shouldn't be allowed to drive.

4. Mar 19, 2014 at 6:24 AM
    Joe D

Joe D [OP] .

Member:
    Yea I'm kinda with you guys.

On one of the major tabloid TV news channels this morning they had a guy who actually took the time to call 911 and explain he was going 120 to 125 mph depending on what part of the call you hear. He and 3 in the car with him died in the crash that followed. During the call he explained the throttle was stuck and how fast he was going.

It's tragic.

I can't for the life of me however, understand why he didn't simply take the car out of drive or shut the engine off instead of calling 911.

I think the big issue is that the law makers don't/didn't feel Toyota was forthcoming with information. I guess information about floor mats....

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  5. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:06 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The case mentioned above I think was the first major one. It was an off duty police officer/sheriff who's family and he died during the 911 call.

Sad enough as it is, I find it strange that a police officer wouldn't think to turn off the engine, or as mentioned, put it in neutral. I have actually had this happen in an old truck when I was like 18 years old. The carb plates stuck after I did a WOT acceleration down the road. First thing I did was turn off the ignition. No more acceleration. Just seems odd. I do feel bad for those who died, regardless of the reason.

6. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    I never could for the life me figure out how a floor mat could cause a gas pedal to stick. I mean honestly I drove a Camry and a highlander both with floor mats and the computer controlled throttle without a single issue.

7. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    This is exactly how I feel about it. Turn it off or throw it in neutral. This would go for any accleration issue. I too had an old pickup that had a throttle that was very slow to return to normal position when really cold. First time it happened it worried me a little, but I just pushed the clutch pedal. Easy as that. If it's an auto, throw the shifter in neutral.

8. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I have seen a similar thing with GM years back. They were due however to aftermarket mats I think. What happened was the floor mat could get caught on top of the accelerator pedal. It wasn't a wild acceleration being a very light weight, but what DID happen was with certain aftermarket floor mats was that when you pressed on the brake, the mat would be under the brake, but on top of the accelerator. So when you pressed the brake, it would try to accelerate. Sadly the harder you hit the brake, the harder the accelerator was pressed.

9. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
  10. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:38 AM
    na8rboy

na8rboy 18 DCLB Sport Cement

Member:
    WI
    Vehicle:
    18 DCLB SPORT CEMENT
    Still a firm believer UAW/Big 3 pushed this to bash Toyota. F**k them...

11. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    /\/\ UAW did ask for it to save GM, than Obama gave order and crazy witch hunt begun.. Even NASA guys could not find anything wrong...
    I dont think I will ever buy a GM vehicle. I would rather walk ... or use moped..

12. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Sorry people died but U can't fix stupid.

13. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:54 AM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    Agreed :cool:

14. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:57 AM
    Oregon TRD

Oregon TRD "GO DUCKS" Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Steel Panthers bathroom floor!
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box
    I just got this in my email last night. I can't wait for my $27.00 check...it probably won't even be that much:rolleyes:

Dear Eligible Toyota Economic Loss Claimant,

Gilardi & Co. LLC (“Gilardi”) is the Court-appointed Class Action Settlement Administrator for the Court-approved settlement in In re: Toyota Motor Corp. Unintended Acceleration Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation, Case No. 8:10ML2151 JVS (FMOx). Please be advised that all appeals have been resolved in favor of the settlement and in favor of monetary benefits to Class Members that filed valid claims.

As of March 14, 2014, we have commenced mailing Distribution Payments to eligible Class Members in accordance with the Court-approved Settlement Agreement. Please (i) note that the mailings will be conducted on a rolling basis, over a 5-day period and (ii) allow sufficient time thereafter for postal delivery and potential delivery delays out of our control. Please also note that claimants from whom we require further information to process their claim will be notified by postal mail during the same time period.

Once received, please cash your Distribution Payment promptly, as checks will be void as of the 91st day after the issue date listed on the check. You should consult your tax adviser to determine the tax consequences, if any, of this distribution. Please do not contact Toyota, Lexus, and/or Scion dealers or Toyota regarding this distribution as the Court has ordered that all such questions be directed to the Class Action Settlement Administrator.

Kind Regards,
    GILARDI & CO. LLC
    Settlement Administrator
    www.toyotaELsettlement.com

15. Mar 19, 2014 at 9:58 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Starting a conspiracy theory? Individuals and lawsuits have been driving this for quite a long time. Not the Big 3.

16. Mar 19, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    BULL $HIT

GM has their "corporate nuts" in a vice and Toyota comes back into the limelight :rolleyes: :p...

Government Motors had "this problem":eek: for 13 plus F!@#$%^& years and never did a thing....

Get ready for your TAX $$$$ to support them again....

17. Mar 19, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    while i think they should be penalized for witholding specific safety related information, a bunch of people dying because of a floormat is absurd. i had the throttle lever on a carb stick open once, pedal came up half way, and my 400hp V8 kept cranking. it bounced off the rev limiter twice before i pushed the clutch in and killed the ignition. im alive today because im not panicky or an idiot.

toyota should not be held responsible for its customers, but it should be held responsible for its apparent transparency issue. GM and its ignitions being along the same lines, but malfunction is malfunction. if NASA couldnt find anything wrong with the code... then lets face it.. all the courtroom payouts for toyota have been either based in emotion or malice.

18. Mar 19, 2014 at 11:48 AM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I refuse to believe that any toyota (or any decently maintained car/truck for that matter) would be able to overpower its own braking system. If my truck was "unintentionally" going 125 mph, I'd be standing on that damn brake pedal. Just sayin...

Edit: Just saw this

That is some f'd up sh*t. lol

19. Mar 19, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    Robnik

Robnik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 Base Reg Cab 2.7L 2TR-FE A340E
    Funny you mention that. Back in the early 90's, I was doing some tree work for a billionaire's farm & his employee came up to me & asked if I had license. I said yes & if I could get lunch for all the employees, apparently no one had a valid license. So, since my bucket-truck was impaled firmly in the ground, he said take the grunt car. A 1987 Tercel. These idiots had the floor mat so bunched up, that if you braked it would accelerate at the same time. By the time I realized this, I was going about 40MPH down a dirt (sand) road with a canal on the left & orange trees on the right. I simply put it in neutral, threw out the floor mat, told the bubble gum smacking bimbo, who was with me do you know what just happened? Doh! No, we drive it around all the time, when we wanna stop we just turn off the key.

20. Mar 19, 2014 at 5:41 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I have to say that this BS with the ignition switch has me scratching my head. It's just like the floormat thing. You shouldn't have 20 pounds of key rings and 50 keys on a single keyring in the first place!

Products Discussed in

To Top