Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

$1,200,000,000.00 fine for TM.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #1
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
$1,200,000,000.00 fine for TM.

Toyota is nearing a settlement.

http://mobile.businessweek.com/news/...ot-s-dot-probe
Old 03-19-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I still have yet to see where they've found any evidence supporting that there was ANYTHING wrong with the Toyota vehicles that were recalled. Aside from user error with floor mats, did they ever uncover anything?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:47 AM   #3
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Retarded. I wonder if the other people who crashed ever crashed other vehicles they own. If they did. Then it's just stupidity. Some people shouldn't be allowed to drive.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I'm kinda with you guys.

On one of the major tabloid TV news channels this morning they had a guy who actually took the time to call 911 and explain he was going 120 to 125 mph depending on what part of the call you hear. He and 3 in the car with him died in the crash that followed. During the call he explained the throttle was stuck and how fast he was going.

It's tragic.

I can't for the life of me however, understand why he didn't simply take the car out of drive or shut the engine off instead of calling 911.

I think the big issue is that the law makers don't/didn't feel Toyota was forthcoming with information. I guess information about floor mats....
Old 03-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
If this goes through I bet the 2015's will have some add-ons (all Models) that can't be explained - to help up the price to make Toyota their $$ back LOl
Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
The case mentioned above I think was the first major one. It was an off duty police officer/sheriff who's family and he died during the 911 call.

Sad enough as it is, I find it strange that a police officer wouldn't think to turn off the engine, or as mentioned, put it in neutral. I have actually had this happen in an old truck when I was like 18 years old. The carb plates stuck after I did a WOT acceleration down the road. First thing I did was turn off the ignition. No more acceleration. Just seems odd. I do feel bad for those who died, regardless of the reason.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
I never could for the life me figure out how a floor mat could cause a gas pedal to stick. I mean honestly I drove a Camry and a highlander both with floor mats and the computer controlled throttle without a single issue.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
The case mentioned above I think was the first major one. It was an off duty police officer/sheriff who's family and he died during the 911 call.

Sad enough as it is, I find it strange that a police officer wouldn't think to turn off the engine, or as mentioned, put it in neutral. I have actually had this happen in an old truck when I was like 18 years old. The carb plates stuck after I did a WOT acceleration down the road. First thing I did was turn off the ignition. No more acceleration. Just seems odd. I do feel bad for those who died, regardless of the reason.
This is exactly how I feel about it. Turn it off or throw it in neutral. This would go for any accleration issue. I too had an old pickup that had a throttle that was very slow to return to normal position when really cold. First time it happened it worried me a little, but I just pushed the clutch pedal. Easy as that. If it's an auto, throw the shifter in neutral.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #9
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have seen a similar thing with GM years back. They were due however to aftermarket mats I think. What happened was the floor mat could get caught on top of the accelerator pedal. It wasn't a wild acceleration being a very light weight, but what DID happen was with certain aftermarket floor mats was that when you pressed on the brake, the mat would be under the brake, but on top of the accelerator. So when you pressed the brake, it would try to accelerate. Sadly the harder you hit the brake, the harder the accelerator was pressed.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 AM   #10
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
doh
Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #11
na8rboy has a spectacular aura aboutna8rboy has a spectacular aura aboutna8rboy has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Name: Mark
na8rboy's Tacoma Gallery
Still a firm believer UAW/Big 3 pushed this to bash Toyota. F**k them...
Old 03-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by na8rboy View Post
/\/\ UAW did ask for it to save GM, than Obama gave order and crazy witch hunt begun.. Even NASA guys could not find anything wrong...
I dont think I will ever buy a GM vehicle. I would rather walk ... or use moped..
Old 03-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
george3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorge3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
george3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Sorry people died but U can't fix stupid.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #14
CanadaToy is on a distinguished road
Name: Greg
CanadaToy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
/\/\ UAW ask for it to save GM, Obama gave order and witch hunt begun.. Even NASA guys could not find anything wrong...
I dont think I will ever buy GM vehicle. I rather walk ... or use moped..
Agreed
Old 03-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #15
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
I just got this in my email last night. I can't wait for my $27.00 check...it probably won't even be that much

Dear Eligible Toyota Economic Loss Claimant,

Gilardi & Co. LLC (“Gilardi”) is the Court-appointed Class Action Settlement Administrator for the Court-approved settlement in In re: Toyota Motor Corp. Unintended Acceleration Marketing, Sales Practices, and Products Liability Litigation, Case No. 8:10ML2151 JVS (FMOx). Please be advised that all appeals have been resolved in favor of the settlement and in favor of monetary benefits to Class Members that filed valid claims.

As of March 14, 2014, we have commenced mailing Distribution Payments to eligible Class Members in accordance with the Court-approved Settlement Agreement. Please (i) note that the mailings will be conducted on a rolling basis, over a 5-day period and (ii) allow sufficient time thereafter for postal delivery and potential delivery delays out of our control. Please also note that claimants from whom we require further information to process their claim will be notified by postal mail during the same time period.

Once received, please cash your Distribution Payment promptly, as checks will be void as of the 91st day after the issue date listed on the check. You should consult your tax adviser to determine the tax consequences, if any, of this distribution. Please do not contact Toyota, Lexus, and/or Scion dealers or Toyota regarding this distribution as the Court has ordered that all such questions be directed to the Class Action Settlement Administrator.

Kind Regards,
GILARDI & CO. LLC
Settlement Administrator
www.toyotaELsettlement.com
Old 03-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by na8rboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueT View Post
/\/\ UAW ask for it to save GM, Obama gave order and witch hunt begun.. Even NASA guys could not find anything wrong...
I dont think I will ever buy GM vehicle. I rather walk ... or use moped..
Starting a conspiracy theory? Individuals and lawsuits have been driving this for quite a long time. Not the Big 3.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #17
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
BULL $HIT

GM has their "corporate nuts" in a vice and Toyota comes back into the limelight ...

Government Motors had "this problem" for 13 plus F!@#$%^& years and never did a thing....

Get ready for your TAX $$$$ to support them again....
Old 03-19-2014, 11:38 AM   #18
transplant is on a distinguished road

Marines:
Name: theo
transplant's Tacoma Gallery
while i think they should be penalized for witholding specific safety related information, a bunch of people dying because of a floormat is absurd. i had the throttle lever on a carb stick open once, pedal came up half way, and my 400hp V8 kept cranking. it bounced off the rev limiter twice before i pushed the clutch in and killed the ignition. im alive today because im not panicky or an idiot.

toyota should not be held responsible for its customers, but it should be held responsible for its apparent transparency issue. GM and its ignitions being along the same lines, but malfunction is malfunction. if NASA couldnt find anything wrong with the code... then lets face it.. all the courtroom payouts for toyota have been either based in emotion or malice.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
Styx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shedStyx586 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Petty Officer
Name: Terrance
Styx586's Tacoma Gallery
I refuse to believe that any toyota (or any decently maintained car/truck for that matter) would be able to overpower its own braking system. If my truck was "unintentionally" going 125 mph, I'd be standing on that damn brake pedal. Just sayin...

Edit: Just saw this

Quote:
I have seen a similar thing with GM years back. They were due however to aftermarket mats I think. What happened was the floor mat could get caught on top of the accelerator pedal. It wasn't a wild acceleration being a very light weight, but what DID happen was with certain aftermarket floor mats was that when you pressed on the brake, the mat would be under the brake, but on top of the accelerator. So when you pressed the brake, it would try to accelerate. Sadly the harder you hit the brake, the harder the accelerator was pressed.
That is some f'd up sh*t. lol
Old 03-19-2014, 12:52 PM   #20
Dismembered
Robnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobnik is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Robnik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Funny you mention that. Back in the early 90's, I was doing some tree work for a billionaire's farm & his employee came up to me & asked if I had license. I said yes & if I could get lunch for all the employees, apparently no one had a valid license. So, since my bucket-truck was impaled firmly in the ground, he said take the grunt car. A 1987 Tercel. These idiots had the floor mat so bunched up, that if you braked it would accelerate at the same time. By the time I realized this, I was going about 40MPH down a dirt (sand) road with a canal on the left & orange trees on the right. I simply put it in neutral, threw out the floor mat, told the bubble gum smacking bimbo, who was with me do you know what just happened? Doh! No, we drive it around all the time, when we wanna stop we just turn off the key.