1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Realistic Longevity of Newer Tacomas

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Newlife, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:14 PM
    Newlife

Newlife [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Knoxville TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 t4r orp
    Bone f’n stock for now
    So we all know Toyota got its big break with the early trucks. The Hilux diesel, the toyota pick up american series, the t100, the tacoma, etc.

We all know those trucks lasted longer and were put through more than any most other trucks. And a lot of them can still be seen rolling the streets today. Some much better than other, and then some littering parts all over the road. But they still run.

Now realistically. And I know we all own tacoma's and we all are grateful for them. But how do you feel as far as longevity do you think the new tacomas will be lasting as long as the previous trucks in the Toyota arsenal? With manufacturers getting more and more sloppy in there design and overall builds. Toyota has been pretty high up there in keeping it good to go. But will they last time test of time?

Keep it related to the topic. And no pissing match please. We have enough other topics to do that in.

2. Apr 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    06 tacoma owner

06 tacoma owner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Madisonville, KY
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 4x4
    Stock...for now
    It all depends on how you treat them.

3. Apr 16, 2014 at 7:42 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    I think Toyota products are, overall, just as good or better than those Toyota products of the past.

4. Apr 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM
    g35man

g35man Discount Double Check

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC 4x4 OR
    Icon Stage II lift kit, LR uca's, Weather Tech floor mats, FX-R retrofit, Morimoto factory fit LED fogs, flyzeye designs cup holder lights, wet okole seat covers, upgraded Entune system
  5. Apr 16, 2014 at 8:20 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Good find Jason. I'm not sure about JD Power and don't know if it's the 90 day results or one over a longer period. I've owned new Toyota trucks since before the Tacoma or T100 and I'm not seeing any drop in build quality from the units I've owned. That includes a 1985, 1986, 1987 Toyota trucks, 1997 T100, 1998 Tacoma, 2002 Tacoma, 2010 Tacoma & a 2012 Tacoma. That's 8 Toyota trucks. That said I've NEVER had one of them that required anything other than routine maintenance. On the other hand, I've also owned F150s & F250s models that stranded me at least once and were pretty new. Other products I've owned or own include BMW (stranded me), GM (stranded me), several Honda & Acura products (great cars with zero problems).

6. Apr 16, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    Corny

Corny Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ormond Beach Fl
    Vehicle:
    2014 AC Taco 4x4
    Stock
    Craftsmen are a dying breed in all industries. There needs to be more hands on and eyes on in industry in this country. Machines can do "some" of the build but humans need to have the final say in quality.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  7. Apr 16, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    g35man

g35man Discount Double Check

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC 4x4 OR
    Icon Stage II lift kit, LR uca's, Weather Tech floor mats, FX-R retrofit, Morimoto factory fit LED fogs, flyzeye designs cup holder lights, wet okole seat covers, upgraded Entune system
    Wow, Joe you have great realistic feedback! I currently own a 07 and a 12 and love them both. I also owned several Honda's that had no major issues ever and an Infiniti g35 I owned for 10 yrs that is still being driven by a friend of mine. Love my imports.

8. Apr 16, 2014 at 5:12 PM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    Honda and Toyota have slipped a bit in quality in my opinion but are still by FAR the most reliable vehicles on the road.

I've been shopping for a new vehicle that can get over 15mpg and a tank will last more than 250miles but everything I search comes back with dismal reliability.

It is so maddening that Toyota still has such bad fuel economy in all of their trucks, while other makes are easily seeing 30mpg in a similarly sized full size, midsize and SUV's.

9. Apr 16, 2014 at 5:57 PM
    cheeseit

cheeseit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5/TRD OR Tacoma
    3 inch toytec lift
    It's like anything. As a system gets more and more complex your adding more and more points of failure.

If anything vehicles have gotten incredibly more reliable. Cars used to be considered worn out completely at 100k.

10. May 12, 2014 at 5:02 PM
    eastcoastcowboy

eastcoastcowboy just sittin' in the corner, havin' a beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Redneckville, NB
    Vehicle:
    '15 Skewped!!
    Weathertecs, 265/70/17 Duratracs, Trifecta Tonneau
    ^ this.

I remember when you could buy a 6 year old car with 100k on it for $800, and they weren't really worth it. I had several of them.

11. May 12, 2014 at 11:58 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I had a '95 Ford Ranger that I bought new and drove for 11 years. My nephew just sold it last summer, still running. My Tacoma is in far better shape than that Ranger was after 7 years. I suspect that it will last much longer with fewer repair dollars. I plan on driving my taco for a long time to come. :thumbsup:

12. May 13, 2014 at 1:11 AM
    JSL

JSL Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Clarkdale Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma supercharged
    All of the new vehicles being produced today are going to have the same thing in common. Unreliable electronics. The more complex you make a product the more chances is has to fail. Tacoma electronics are still relatively basic by todays standards. I would hate to be a gm or even worse a ford tech these days due to all of the complex computer systems running these newer vehicles. I fixed a pontiac g6 the other day that had a intermittent traction contol issue. The problem was a dirty maf sensor. WTH do those have to do with each other? The next generation of car buyers better stack on the extra warranty coverage because their vehicles will have to be fixed by dealers with the proper computers and software to diagnose. The days of fixing your own vehicle will be gone and it is so sad.

13. May 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I hear you, the worst part is you can not even order truck with out them.
    I was lookign at Tundra and you can not order one with out Entune garbage as SR5. Heck I would like to order one with out radio. Thats $600 I dont need to spend.
    ABS and Traction. Thats $2000 -$3000 worth of Electronics forced on me for no reason. Dont need them I would like to have a truck with out them.

Products Discussed in

To Top