1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

smoking out of the oil filler cap?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by 4banger4x4, May 22, 2014.

1. May 22, 2014 at 3:36 PM
    4banger4x4

4banger4x4 [OP] Probably should'nt have done that.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    So my moms 2004 Nissan quest started sounding real loud so i looked around a bit and then decided to add a little oil to it because it looked a little low, and when i took off the oil fill cap with the motor running there was smoke coming out of the fill cap. Ive never seen this before so i assume it cant be good so i did a little bit of research and saw some people saying its cause by blow by or water (i.e bad head gasket)

i cant compression test anything but my parents were already talking about replacing the vehicle anyway so it might be time to just trade it in for a couple grand.

Your thoughts on what causes the smoke?

2. May 22, 2014 at 3:40 PM
    HiFire

HiFire Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    SR5,4x4,DCSB,Auto
    Weathertech mats, BAMF sliders, US Offroad front winch bumper, RCI Alum. Skid plates, ICON suspension, Pelfreybilt rear bumper, JBA uca's, Allpro u-bolt flip,
    Check for a clogged PVC valve. Easiest thing first.

3. May 22, 2014 at 3:50 PM
    4banger4x4

4banger4x4 [OP] Probably should'nt have done that.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Whorelando, Fl
    ive read that a bad PCV valve wont cause smoking, but they could be wrong. now time to find it on her van...

4. May 23, 2014 at 5:51 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    If the PCV valve is clogged, blowby isn't being removed from the crankcase. It has to go somewhere. When you remove the fill cap, that's the easiest route.
    Check/replace the valve. If you see lots of carbon buildup, replcae it. Cleaning it will not last long.
    There will always be some blowby from combustion gasses getting past the piston rings. Anything under 12% is normal, over that is excessive. A compression test will reveal a problem, but a leakdown test will tell you exactly what the problem is.

Products Discussed in

To Top