1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone know if Volkswagens are reliable/good cars?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Lightningtaco, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Jun 8, 2014 at 1:53 PM
    Lightningtaco

Lightningtaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    So for those of you who caught my thread in the second gen section, Im more than happy about picking up my white 2014 TRD Sport on Monday :D

Now switching gears for the wifey, its close to time to bring her up to date as well and in my mind, I was eyeing Accord's, Camry's, and Maxima's but she has set her eyes on a used 2013 Volkswagen Passat. I've never looked too much into Volkswagen but Ill admit, the car looks nice in white with black interior, sunroof, navigation, v6 engine, woodgrain, the whole nine yards (I cant say its a fully loaded top of the line but looks that way.) My biggest concern about the car is the part that it used premium gas only. It supposedly gets 20/28 gas mileage which isn't terribly bad but outside of the premium fuel issue, does anyone have any experiences with the Volkswagen brand? Are they fairly reliable? Do they hold their value pretty well (not expecting it to be like a Toyota but just in general)? Do they generally hold up as the mileage approaches 100k? This one only has 10k miles but we will probably have this car for at least 6-7 years so don't want to get anything that will leave her stranded...

2. Jun 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM
    G8keepr

G8keepr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    North central mass
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Never liked Volkswagen's myself. I drive my bosses jetta tdi a lot and it rides ok. 40+ miles to the gallon I think(when I'm not doing racing speeds everywhere). Maybe get her a four runner! :notsure:

3. Jun 8, 2014 at 2:49 PM
    Lightningtaco

Lightningtaco [OP] New Member

Member:
    I offered to get her a Taco/4 Runner :p But she says one truck is enough and she wants to stay in a car :rolleyes: I've looked into the diesel option and never owned one before but from reviews I've read on them, people seem to be pretty happy about the mileage for the most part.

4. Jun 8, 2014 at 3:07 PM
    User Name01

User Name01 Little boy from FairyTale Land

Member:
    First Name:
    Bolbi Stroganovsky
    Wherever the next wind project is
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Barcelona Red Metallic Dbl Cab 4x4
    I blew an engine on a 2012 Jetta with 48K miles on it. The classic VW's are the reliable ones. When they break, they REALLY BREAK. They are also too small IMO.

5. Jun 8, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I have had a lot of German cars very comfortable handle extremely well have plenty of guts but are not cheap to fix. All of mine have been driven over 200K they just keep going. I had a Jetta TDI I loved it 50 MPG even when driven like it was stolen without a doubt the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned but it was also the most expensive one to maintain. If my Taco was as nice inside as the Jetta with all the leather and do da’s it would be one fantastic truck. .

6. Jun 8, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    I had a 2012 GLI, VW's drive a lot different than Japanese cars.

I think they feel more solid and are just a nice place to be. I find myself wanting another a few years later, they are addictive.

That being said, they are definately not as reliable as a Camry or Accord. The MPG on the diesel is great, the 2.0Turbo engine is fantastic, and gets great gas mileage and has good power but they aren't as reliable as Japanese cars.

The 2014 accord is sexy as hell.

7. Jun 8, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    Rupp1

Rupp1 "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR Auto Silver Sky 4x4 / 2017 4Runner Premium
    I have people I work with that have had great luck with them. One just got a new Passat TDI. It's nice.

8. Jun 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM
    TurdTaco13

TurdTaco13 cuz my life is dope and I do dope shit

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Abq
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport 4x4
    6" BDS Lift, 18x9 XD Addicts, 35x12.5 Trail Grapplers, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with turndown after the axle, AFE Stage 2 CAI
    I've owned over a half dozen German cars (4 BMWs, 2 Audis, 1 Benz) over the years, and got rid of every single one of them before or as soon as the warranty ran out. Owning (and repairing) a German car out of warranty is for suckers. Not because they're any more prone to breaking, just because they're SO f*cking pricey to repair when they do break. Just my $.02.

And as for the premium fuel thing, don't sweat it. It's an extra $2 to $3 per fill up, and if you can't swing that, you probably shouldn't be looking at a new car for your lady. :D

9. Jun 9, 2014 at 3:18 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Happy with our 2012 Golf

10. Jun 9, 2014 at 3:47 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    My coworkers has a Golf TDI with over 300k on it. She ves that thing. Still runs and drives pretty good too.

11. Jun 9, 2014 at 5:50 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    If it's any consolation of the 12 best selling cars world wide Ford and VW make up half of them.

12. Jun 9, 2014 at 6:12 AM
    anotherreject

anotherreject Well-Known Member

Member:
    A coworker just traded in a newer gti, he said it became a money pit after 100k mies

Products Discussed in

To Top