Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

Anyone know if Volkswagens are reliable/good cars?

Old 06-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Lightningtaco is on a distinguished road
Lightningtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Question Anyone know if Volkswagens are reliable/good cars?

So for those of you who caught my thread in the second gen section, Im more than happy about picking up my white 2014 TRD Sport on Monday

Now switching gears for the wifey, its close to time to bring her up to date as well and in my mind, I was eyeing Accord's, Camry's, and Maxima's but she has set her eyes on a used 2013 Volkswagen Passat. I've never looked too much into Volkswagen but Ill admit, the car looks nice in white with black interior, sunroof, navigation, v6 engine, woodgrain, the whole nine yards (I cant say its a fully loaded top of the line but looks that way.) My biggest concern about the car is the part that it used premium gas only. It supposedly gets 20/28 gas mileage which isn't terribly bad but outside of the premium fuel issue, does anyone have any experiences with the Volkswagen brand? Are they fairly reliable? Do they hold their value pretty well (not expecting it to be like a Toyota but just in general)? Do they generally hold up as the mileage approaches 100k? This one only has 10k miles but we will probably have this car for at least 6-7 years so don't want to get anything that will leave her stranded...
Old 06-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #2
G8keepr is on a distinguished road
Name: Rich
G8keepr's Tacoma Gallery
Never liked Volkswagen's myself. I drive my bosses jetta tdi a lot and it rides ok. 40+ miles to the gallon I think(when I'm not doing racing speeds everywhere). Maybe get her a four runner!
Old 06-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #3
Lightningtaco is on a distinguished road
Lightningtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8keepr View Post
Never liked Volkswagen's myself. I drive my bosses jetta tdi a lot and it rides ok. 40+ miles to the gallon I think(when I'm not doing racing speeds everywhere). Maybe get her a four runner!
I offered to get her a Taco/4 Runner But she says one truck is enough and she wants to stay in a car I've looked into the diesel option and never owned one before but from reviews I've read on them, people seem to be pretty happy about the mileage for the most part.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
I have had a lot of German cars very comfortable handle extremely well have plenty of guts but are not cheap to fix. All of mine have been driven over 200K they just keep going. I had a Jetta TDI I loved it 50 MPG even when driven like it was stolen without a doubt the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned but it was also the most expensive one to maintain. If my Taco was as nice inside as the Jetta with all the leather and do da’s it would be one fantastic truck. .
Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
Vantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Vantage's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 2012 GLI, VW's drive a lot different than Japanese cars.

I think they feel more solid and are just a nice place to be. I find myself wanting another a few years later, they are addictive.

That being said, they are definately not as reliable as a Camry or Accord. The MPG on the diesel is great, the 2.0Turbo engine is fantastic, and gets great gas mileage and has good power but they aren't as reliable as Japanese cars.

The 2014 accord is sexy as hell.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I have people I work with that have had great luck with them. One just got a new Passat TDI. It's nice.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
cuz my life is dope and I do dope shit
TurdTaco13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
TurdTaco13's Tacoma Gallery
I've owned over a half dozen German cars (4 BMWs, 2 Audis, 1 Benz) over the years, and got rid of every single one of them before or as soon as the warranty ran out. Owning (and repairing) a German car out of warranty is for suckers. Not because they're any more prone to breaking, just because they're SO f*cking pricey to repair when they do break. Just my $.02.

And as for the premium fuel thing, don't sweat it. It's an extra $2 to $3 per fill up, and if you can't swing that, you probably shouldn't be looking at a new car for your lady.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:47 AM   #10
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
My coworkers has a Golf TDI with over 300k on it. She ves that thing. Still runs and drives pretty good too.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #11
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
If it's any consolation of the 12 best selling cars world wide Ford and VW make up half of them.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #12
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
A coworker just traded in a newer gti, he said it became a money pit after 100k mies