Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

long-term storage of conventionally-powered vehicles (1-6 months)

Old 04-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
long-term storage of conventionally-powered vehicles (1-6 months)

From Toyota's website. This may effect people in the military more.

Our minimum recommendations for long-term storage of conventionally-powered vehicles are listed below:

TOOLS AND SUPPLIES:

• Wrench
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • Tire pump
  • Jack
  • Jack stand or blocks
  • Vehicle cover
  • Towels or shop rags

INSTRUCTIONS:

Before storing the vehicle:

• Have the engine oil changed
  • Have the engine coolant changed if due during time of storage
  • Fill up the fuel tank with the appropriate gasoline for your vehicle
  • Wash the vehicle; use high pressure water or steam to clean underneath
  • Check underneath the floor mats to ensure the carpet is dry
  • If there are any paint chips, have them repaired

When storing the vehicle:

• Operate the engine at normal operating temperature* for 15 minutes prior to shutting off the engine
  • Disconnect the black negative (-) battery cable
  • Leave the parking brake off
  • Raise the vehicle on a level surface and place on jack stands or blocks to prevent flat spots on the tires
  • If stored in a temperate, ventilated garage, the windows can be left slightly open
  • Cover the vehicle
  • Operate the air conditioning once a month to ensure proper lubrication

When bringing the vehicle out of storage:

• Have the battery charged and reconnect the black negative (-) battery cable
  • Check fluid levels and add as needed
  • Check for any leaks underneath the vehicle
  • Check and inflate the tires to the correct pressure before taking the vehicle off the jack stands or blocks
  • After starting the engine, observe the warning lights; if any remain illuminated, have the issue addressed by your Toyota dealership as appropriate
  • Check the brake pedal for normal feel (height and firmness) before shifting the transmission
  • Take the vehicle to your local dealer for general inspection

* To determine your vehicle's normal operating temperature, please refer to the section of your Owner's Manual that describes the engine coolant temperature gauge.

Note: If you are planning to store your vehicle for more than 6 months, please consult a company that specializes in long-term vehicle storage.

Disclaimer: There are many variations in the step-by-step procedures used when checking fluid levels or charging batteries, and varying skill levels of individuals. These instructions cannot anticipate all circumstances or provide advice and caution on each. If you are in doubt concerning your ability or have any questions, consult your local Toyota dealership and have the work performed by an experienced technician.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed08WhiteTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Ben
08WhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Great write up. This is some good to know stuff. I am going to be using this soon seeing as I am getting deployed for around 5 months.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
Tool Geek
river rat is on a distinguished road

river rat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
only thing i would add is
get some staybilt and add it before you run the engine at shutdown !
+1 I run-in some Stabil and a litlle MMO in the tank. Otherwise, I do everything on the list.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
"The Fuzz"
shook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really niceshook0002 is just really nice

Name: Joe
shook0002's Tacoma Gallery
Use a battery tender. I've used them on my Mustang and quad and never had a problem with them. Get the name brand tender, they only charge when needed, cheaper ones give a continued 1.5 amp charge which will eventually cause the acid to boil out and damage the battery and your car.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #5
wareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwareagle5693 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
wareagle5693's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wareagle5693
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post

i don't drive much and occasionally a tank will last me a bit over 6 months so i add it when i get a fill up
I'm lucky if a tank will last me 6 days now!
Old 10-31-2010, 12:23 AM   #6
skeet is on a distinguished road
skeet's Tacoma Gallery
I second the Stabil gas stabilizer. Also jack the car up slightly enough to take some load off the tires but do not extend the shocks more than an inch or two,
Old 01-02-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shook0002 View Post
Use a battery tender. I've used them on my Mustang and quad and never had a problem with them. Get the name brand tender, they only charge when needed, cheaper ones give a continued 1.5 amp charge which will eventually cause the acid to boil out and damage the battery and your car.
Great advice. Just disconnecting a battery will eliminate the parasitic load (emissions computer, clock, radio presets, alarm system, etc.), but it will not stop the natural self discharge of a lead-acid battery, especially it the vehicle is stored in a hot climate. For more information, please see Section 13 in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
tacopre2002 is on a distinguished road
tacopre2002's Tacoma Gallery
Left truck for two months with big problems when starting back up

I left my tacoma sitting in a parking garage for two months under a roof here in south florida with a little more than a quater tank of gas and has 72,000 miles on it. came to start it up yesterday and started up but then wanted to die on me. it started shaking really bad and engine light was flashing. was able to drive it somewhat but when i pressed the gas it seemed like it wasnt getting enough fuel to the sylanoids or somthing and could only get up to 15 mph with the gas peddle all the way to the floor. it would continue to shake really badly. Also the brake peddle was really tight and wouldnt go all the way down, limiting my braking ability. any help???? has this happned to anyone before???????????
Old 03-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like your gas turned to water or all the sediments got sucked up and went thru the fuel filter i dunno
Old 03-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacopre2002 View Post
I left my tacoma sitting in a parking garage for two months under a roof here in south florida with a little more than a quater tank of gas and has 72,000 miles on it. came to start it up yesterday and started up but then wanted to die on me. it started shaking really bad and engine light was flashing. was able to drive it somewhat but when i pressed the gas it seemed like it wasnt getting enough fuel to the sylanoids or somthing and could only get up to 15 mph with the gas peddle all the way to the floor. it would continue to shake really badly. Also the brake peddle was really tight and wouldnt go all the way down, limiting my braking ability. any help???? has this happned to anyone before???????????
Should have topped off your tank before storing. Condensation occurred and the fuel now has water in it. You need to add sta-bil with ethanol treatment & top off with premium gas.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Tacon is on a distinguished road
Tacon's Tacoma Gallery
Some problems I've seen w/ long term storage:

Carb gummed up in spite of using Stabil.
Mold growth inside cab (closed refrigerator effect).
Moisture trapped by car cover caused surface rust (I prefer thin cotton cover).
Mice damage to seats and wires (yes somebody left bird seed in garage).
Rust formation on dry half of ring gear and diff bearings/races.
Hardened seals (depends on material of construction).
Internal master/wheel cylinder and caliper corrosion (common).
Collapsed lifters and gummed oil galleys (extreme case).
Grease separation (Mob 1 separates, some axle grease doesn't).
Some grease will dry out over time.
Temporary tire flat spots (if not on jack stands).
Tire dry rot doesn't seem to be issue inside garage.
HVAC problems(common).
Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #12
Bajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedBajatacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Remote Duty Paramedic
Bajatacoma's Tacoma Gallery
One thing I would highly recommend is filling up with real gas instead of ethanol. Ethanol breaks down much faster (it starts within a couple of weeks according to most reports I've read) and absorbs a lot more water due to the alcohol.