Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > General Automotive

Notices

off-topic, BMW oil change intervals

Old 04-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
off-topic, BMW oil change intervals

Just thought some of you would get a kick out of this.... a co-worker with a 4 month old 328i told me that his service advisor told him he didn't need to have the oil changed for a year or 15000 miles. Needless to say I was skeptical. But a little research later and this is indeed what they recommend. Apparently they are using that new "extended life" synth oil. Noting my alarm even though it was the official BMW recommendation my coworker, who is not a mech of any sort, calls the dealer for explantion. The dealer says that BMWs have "really good oil pumps", and the "system is sealed", and "they tested it and didn't see evidence of significant oil breakdown until 16,000 miles". Wow, a 1000 mile cushion.

OK, I know most of us here are probably changing the oil more often than we really need to. (let's not get in one of those discussions about just how often, please) but this is just nuts, IMHO. Methinks BMW is trying to save a few $$ on their "free scheduled maintenance", as well as setting up some good expensive post warranty engine repairs. We are trying to convince my friend that a mid-term change is good cheap insurance but not sure he will be swayed. Oh well..... BTW, I'd love to see an oil filter after 15k miles. Can't be pretty.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My Wifes car goes in every 10K....Oil samples come back showing about 10% life left on it. My buddy has a BMW and does the 15K oil change. He has had the car along time, and it seems to run fine. He wont fill a bottle for me to sample, though............

Hmmmm........that didnt sound too good.........